Re: Cannot view downloaded emails

The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e., AVG;
Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely cause
of all your problems.

If a Norton or McAfee application had ever been installed on the computer at
any time in the past, that may have something to do with it, too.

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

I suspect, however, that the only way you'll be able to make things right
now is to format & do a clean install of Vista. A Repair Install (AKA
In-Place Upgrade) will not help.

Best of luck.

Mantari wrote:
> My oldest restore point is 07/16/2009. No, I'm afraid I don't have a
> restore
> point before SP2 or before IE8. "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows
> (KB948465)" was installed on 05/26/2009, a couple weeks before the IE8
> update.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Do you or do you not have an available Restore Point which predates the
>> install of IE8? (If you installed SP2 after installing IE8, probably
>> not.)
>>
>> NB: JUST ASKING! Do NOT use System Restore to "uninstall" IE8!

Mantari

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly, entirely
possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss of
functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.

Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a month
earlier, was the culprit?

Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar IE7/IE8
tie-in that I should check for functionality?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e., AVG;
> Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely cause
> of all your problems.
>
> If a Norton or McAfee application had ever been installed on the computer at
> any time in the past, that may have something to do with it, too.
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> I suspect, however, that the only way you'll be able to make things right
> now is to format & do a clean install of Vista. A Repair Install (AKA
> In-Place Upgrade) will not help.
>
> Best of luck.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Mantari wrote:
> > My oldest restore point is 07/16/2009. No, I'm afraid I don't have a
> > restore
> > point before SP2 or before IE8. "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows
> > (KB948465)" was installed on 05/26/2009, a couple weeks before the IE8
> > update.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you.
> >>
> >> Do you or do you not have an available Restore Point which predates the
> >> install of IE8? (If you installed SP2 after installing IE8, probably
> >> not.)
> >>
> >> NB: JUST ASKING! Do NOT use System Restore to "uninstall" IE8!

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
If (a) the behavior wasn't seen immediately after installing IE8 and (b)
uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) did not
resolve the behavior, you'll need to purse other diagnostics to determine
the cause(s) of the problem (e.g., a hijackware infection; Norton and/or
McAfee "leftovers").

Mantari wrote:
> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
> entirely
> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
> of
> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>
> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
> month
> earlier, was the culprit?
>
> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
> IE7/IE8
> tie-in that I should check for functionality?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e., AVG;
>> Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely
>> cause of all your problems.
>>
>> If a Norton or McAfee application had ever been installed on the computer
>> at any time in the past, that may have something to do with it, too.
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain
>> environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>
>> I suspect, however, that the only way you'll be able to make things right
>> now is to format & do a clean install of Vista. A Repair Install (AKA
>> In-Place Upgrade) will not help.
>>
>> Best of luck.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Mantari wrote:
>>> My oldest restore point is 07/16/2009. No, I'm afraid I don't have a
>>> restore
>>> point before SP2 or before IE8. "Service Pack for Microsoft Windows
>>> (KB948465)" was installed on 05/26/2009, a couple weeks before the IE8
>>> update.

Sam Hobbs

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
PA Bear might be totally correct in suspecting that allowing IE 8 to be
installed with real-time protecting enabled will cause a permanently damaged
installation but not everyone considers it to be the most likely cause.
There is no direct evidence of the problem existing with IE 8 setup.

"Mantari" <Mantari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
> entirely
> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
> of
> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>
> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
> month
> earlier, was the culprit?
>
> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
> IE7/IE8
> tie-in that I should check for functionality?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e., AVG;
>> Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely
>> cause
>> of all your problems.

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
--
~PA Bear

Sam Hobbs wrote:
> PA Bear might be totally correct in suspecting that allowing IE 8 to be
> installed with real-time protecting enabled will cause a permanently
> damaged
> installation but not everyone considers it to be the most likely cause.
> There is no direct evidence of the problem existing with IE 8 setup.
>

> "Mantari" wrote:
>> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
>> entirely
>> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
>> of
>> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>>
>> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
>> month
>> earlier, was the culprit?
>>
>> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
>> IE7/IE8
>> tie-in that I should check for functionality?
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e.,
>>> AVG;
>>> Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely
>>> cause of all your problems.
>>> <SNIPPED>

Mantari

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
Correct. It was not seen immediately after installing IE8, and uninstalling
IE8 did not affect the behavior. (Note also: it is not just attachments, but
I can't even read the body of messages, only the to: from: subj: header area.
This applies to the preview pane and the full message reader. The same
problems exist in Windows Live Mail).

Any idea on how to go about a good route in pursuing other diagnostics? Any
particular thread or document with a procedure to follow? Does Windows have
anything like a truss that I can use to look over the system calls and try to
see what is happening under the hood?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If (a) the behavior wasn't seen immediately after installing IE8 and (b)
> uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) did not
> resolve the behavior, you'll need to purse other diagnostics to determine
> the cause(s) of the problem (e.g., a hijackware infection; Norton and/or
> McAfee "leftovers").
>

> Mantari wrote:
> > The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
> > entirely
> > possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
> > of
> > functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
> >
> > Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
> > month
> > earlier, was the culprit?
> >
> > Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
> > IE7/IE8
> > tie-in that I should check for functionality?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> The fact that you failed to disable all real-time protections (i.e., AVG;
> >> Spybot) prior to installing and/or uninstalling IE8 is the most likely
> >> cause of all your problems.
> >>
> >> If a Norton or McAfee application had ever been installed on the computer
> >> at any time in the past, that may have something to do with it, too.
> >>
> >> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> >> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
> >> December
> >> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> >> non-domain
> >> environment.
> >> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> >> => Other locales:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> >>
> >> I suspect, however, that the only way you'll be able to make things right
> >> now is to format & do a clean install of Vista. A Repair Install (AKA
> >> In-Place Upgrade) will not help.
> >>
> >> Best of luck.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Sam Hobbs

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
My comment is a reply to your comment "the most likely cause of all your
problems". It might be the cause, but I still don't see justification for
saying it is the most likely cause.

> cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Sam Hobbs wrote:
>> PA Bear might be totally correct in suspecting that allowing IE 8 to be
>> installed with real-time protecting enabled will cause a permanently
>> damaged
>> installation but not everyone considers it to be the most likely cause.
>> There is no direct evidence of the problem existing with IE 8 setup.
>>

>> "Mantari" wrote:
>>> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
>>> entirely
>>> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
>>> of
>>> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>>>
>>> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
>>> month
>>> earlier, was the culprit?
>>>
>>> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
>>> IE7/IE8
>>> tie-in that I should check for functionality?

Sam Hobbs

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
Also, if the problem is caused by the failure to update the registry as
occurred in setups of previous versions of IE, then someone could perform a
couple of installs and compare the registry settings between the two
installations. If you have sufficient evidence that there is a problem, then
I hope the vendor does the tests and fixes the problem.

If you know what the specific registry keys(s) is (are) that are not
updated, then that would certainly be direct evidence.

> cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Sam Hobbs wrote:
>> PA Bear might be totally correct in suspecting that allowing IE 8 to be
>> installed with real-time protecting enabled will cause a permanently
>> damaged
>> installation but not everyone considers it to be the most likely cause.
>> There is no direct evidence of the problem existing with IE 8 setup.
>>

>> "Mantari" wrote:
>>> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
>>> entirely
>>> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
>>> of
>>> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>>>
>>> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
>>> month
>>> earlier, was the culprit?
>>>
>>> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
>>> IE7/IE8
>>> tie-in that I should check for functionality?

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
=> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested logs
in an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

=> Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
--
~PA Bear

Mantari wrote:
> Correct. It was not seen immediately after installing IE8, and
> uninstalling
> IE8 did not affect the behavior. (Note also: it is not just attachments,
> but
> I can't even read the body of messages, only the to: from: subj: header
> area. This applies to the preview pane and the full message reader. The
> same
> problems exist in Windows Live Mail).
>
> Any idea on how to go about a good route in pursuing other diagnostics?
> Any
> particular thread or document with a procedure to follow? Does Windows
> have
> anything like a truss that I can use to look over the system calls and try
> to see what is happening under the hood?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> If (a) the behavior wasn't seen immediately after installing IE8 and (b)
>> uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) did not
>> resolve the behavior, you'll need to purse other diagnostics to determine
>> the cause(s) of the problem (e.g., a hijackware infection; Norton and/or
>> McAfee "leftovers").
>>

>> Mantari wrote:
>>> The part about that explanation that irks me (although, certainly,
>>> entirely
>>> possible) is that first a slowdown of Windows Mail happened, then a loss
>>> of
>>> functionality. But it happened a full month after IE8 was installed.
>>>
>>> Given the time delay, how certain can we be that an IE8 misinstall, a
>>> month
>>> earlier, was the culprit?
>>>
>>> Also, do you know of other common programs that would have a similar
>>> IE7/IE8
>>> tie-in that I should check for functionality?

Mantari

Re: Cannot view downloaded emails
I found an explanation. I ran Spybot's main program. It told me that I had
over 67,000 temporary files, and asked me if I wanted to clean them up. So I
did. (It didn't say the actual path of the temp directory.) After that,
Windows Mail worked without problem.

I do highly suspect, though, that Windows Mail had a hand in creating all of
these temporary files in the first place, then started to choke and
eventually was unable to read messages at all.