How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7

ECLiPSE 2002

How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7

After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
restores have not helped.

I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
browser problem.

1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?

Thanks for any guidance/input.

Mary
Leonard Grey

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
Answers inline.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
> immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
> restores have not helped.
>
> I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
> but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
> browser problem.
>
> 1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?

If IE 7 is already installed, you cannot reinstall it. You can try to
uninstall IE 7, which returns you to your previous version of Internet
Explorer. However, you may run into trouble if you try this, because you
did "various system restores." System restore is /not/ the way to fix
problems with, or uninstall Internet Explorer. Now you have a quaint
mixture of system files of possibly different generations.

And even then, if you installed SP 3 /after/ you installed IE 7, you
will need to uninstall SP 3 before you can uninstall IE 7.

> 2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
> first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?

You're really up the creek now, and you'll likely have to reinstall
Windows. There is one thing you can try: reset internet explorer to its
default settings.

"How to reset Internet Explorer settings"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

If this doesn't work, get out your Windows CD.

> Thanks for any guidance/input.

Unless you are very certain of what you are doing, please do not perform
the equivalent of brain surgery on your computer without asking for
advice first. We've already been down that road and can show you what to
do, and - especially in my case - what /not/ to do.

> Mary

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
> IE7 closes immediately after starting with an error popup.

Post the complete (verbatim) error message.

Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.

ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
> immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
> restores have not helped.
>
> I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
> but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
> browser problem.
>
> 1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
> 2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
> first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?
>
> Thanks for any guidance/input.
>
> Mary

ECLiPSE 2002

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7

Thanks agin for your assistance -the error message is quite lengthy -
I cannot seem to be able to copy the error message which can only be
viewed by scrolling through its entirity. Can you suggest a method,
please. Copy and Paste don't cut it.

Thanks,

Mary
..

>> IE7 closes immediately after starting with an error popup.

>Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>
>Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Write down the first few lines of the error message then type it into a

ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> Thanks agin for your assistance -the error message is quite lengthy -
> I cannot seem to be able to copy the error message which can only be
> viewed by scrolling through its entirity. Can you suggest a method,
> please. Copy and Paste don't cut it.
>
>>> IE7 closes immediately after starting with an error popup.

>> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>>
>> Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.

<paste>
> ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
>> After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
>> immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
>> restores have not helped.
>>
>> I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
>> but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
>> browser problem.
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
>> 2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
>> first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?

ECLiPSE 2002

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
Te first few lines of the error message read as follows:
Exception information
Code 0xcoooooo5
Flags 0xoooooooo
Record 0xooooooooooooooo
This is followed by line after line of 0xs in Modules(1-109); then
Multiple Threads(1-26);then multiple Memory Ranges (1-54); then Entire
Contents

Hope this means domething to you!

Mary

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Write down the first few lines of the error message then type it into
a reply to this thread.

==

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009 09:59:20 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <fdm2000@comcast.net>
wrote:

>After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
>immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
>restores have not helped.
>
>I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
>but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
>browser problem.
>
>1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
>2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
>first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?
>
>Thanks for any guidance/input.
>
>Mary

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
[The letter O's in the errors are all zeroes; e.g., 0xc0000005]

Assuming the following resembles your error...

==========
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, time stamp
0x49b3ad2e, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18783, time stamp
0x4a05170b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000c46f8, process id
0x72c, application start time 0x01ca057163cad910.
==========

....is the IEXPLORE.EXE version in your error also 8.0.6001.18702? If not,
what version is it?

What is the MSHTML.DLL version in your error?

If the "faulting module" is not MSHTML.DLL, what is it and what version is
it?
~~

===========
> PA Bear wrote:
> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
>
> Write down the first few lines of the error message then type it into
> a reply to this thread.
>
> Mary wrote:
> Thanks agin for your assistance -the error message is quite lengthy -
> I cannot seem to be able to copy the error message which can only be
> viewed by scrolling through its entirity. Can you suggest a method,
> please. Copy and Paste don't cut it.
> =======
> PA Bear wrote:
> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>
> Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.
>
>> Mary wrote:
>> After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
>> immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
>> restores have not helped.
>>
>> I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
>> but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
>> browser problem.
>>
>> 1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
>> 2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
>> first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?

ECLiPSE 2002

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7

Robear, I don't find anything similar to your citation ..."Assuming
the following resembles your error. Faulting application iexplore.exe,
version 8.0.6001.18702, time stamp
>0x49b3ad2e, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18783, time stamp
>0x4a05170b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000c46f8, process id
>0x72c, application start time 0x01ca057163cad910."

What I do find is an Error Signature box that pops up as soon as IE
opens and just before IE 7 freezes - here are the contents:
AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer 7.0.6000.16850
ModVer7.0.6000.16850 ModName:mshtml.dll
Offset 000b19c6

However, I note that each time I try to open IE there is a change in
the ModName - sometimes it is unknown other times it is a different
..dll; also ModVer at times changes to 5.0; the Offset number changes
also.
When I click on details I get the endless entry lines for Modules,
Threads, Memory Ranges, etc. that I mentioned previously.

Does any of this make sense to you?

Mary

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 10:33:05 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

>[The letter O's in the errors are all zeroes; e.g., 0xc0000005]
>
>Assuming the following resembles your error...
>
>==========
>Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, time stamp
>0x49b3ad2e, faulting module mshtml.dll, version 8.0.6001.18783, time stamp
>0x4a05170b, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000c46f8, process id
>0x72c, application start time 0x01ca057163cad910.
>==========
>
>...is the IEXPLORE.EXE version in your error also 8.0.6001.18702? If not,
>what version is it?
>
>What is the MSHTML.DLL version in your error?
>
>If the "faulting module" is not MSHTML.DLL, what is it and what version is
>it?
>~~
>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>

>ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
>> Te first few lines of the error message read as follows:
>> Exception information
>> Code 0xcoooooo5
>> Flags 0xoooooooo
>> Record 0xooooooooooooooo
>> This is followed by line after line of 0xs in Modules(1-109); then
>> Multiple Threads(1-26);then multiple Memory Ranges (1-54); then Entire
>> Contents
>>
>> Hope this means domething to you!
>>

>===========
>> PA Bear wrote:
>> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
>>
>> Write down the first few lines of the error message then type it into
>> a reply to this thread.
>>
>> Mary wrote:
>> Thanks agin for your assistance -the error message is quite lengthy -
>> I cannot seem to be able to copy the error message which can only be
>> viewed by scrolling through its entirity. Can you suggest a method,
>> please. Copy and Paste don't cut it.
>> =======
>> PA Bear wrote:
>> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>>
>> Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.
>>
>>> Mary wrote:
>>> After trying several fixes I am still unable to run IE7 - it closes
>>> immediately after starting with an error popup. Various system
>>> restores have not helped.
>>>
>>> I am running XP Home SP3 and use Mozila Firefox as my default browser,
>>> but some web pages require IE7. Outlook Express is unaffected by the
>>> browser problem.
>>>
>>> 1. Is it possible to do a reinstall?
>>> 2. Do I need to somehow remove the existing non-functional version
>>> first (if so how) or will a reinstall overwrite it?

Re: How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE7
Answer these questions by number when you reply:

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE7 and/or SP3?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

ECLiPSE 2002 wrote:
> [...]

>>> Multiple Threads(1-26);then multiple Memory Ranges (1-54); then Entire
>>> Contents
>>>
>>> Hope this means domething to you!
>>>

>> ===========
>>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the
>>>
>>> Write down the first few lines of the error message then type it into
>>> a reply to this thread.
>>>
>>> Mary wrote:
>>> Thanks agin for your assistance -the error message is quite lengthy -
>>> I cannot seem to be able to copy the error message which can only be
>>> viewed by scrolling through its entirity. Can you suggest a method,
>>> please. Copy and Paste don't cut it.
>>> =======
>>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Post the complete (verbatim) error message.
>>>
>>> Reinstalling IE7 isn't going to resolve your problem.

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009 12:48:17 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

Answer these questions by number when you reply:

Robear for background info - my IE crash problem is quite recent,
since I first installed IE7 in 2006 there have been no problems until
just recently.

1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
start IE in No Add-ons mode:

In the No Add-ons mode IE7 will open and function, however, I cannot
access the WIndows Update site to view update history or check for
updates as in the no add-on state active x controls are required.

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
Very informative and helpful:

I did disable some Add-on and will continue selectively disabling in
hopes of finding one that might be causing the freeze problems.

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!

Will try the reset if I cannot resolve freeze up via Add-on
management.

3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with
Networking?

Will try if other above suggestions fail

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is
your subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What
anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
firewall (if any)?
Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed IE7 and/or SP3?

I use the free home version of Avast resident antivirus ; I use
Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Adaware weekly after installing any
updates. I don't use a 3rd party firewall just the MS XP application,
plus I have a router which offers some additional protection. I'm not
sure what might have been running when IE 7 and SP3 were installed,
but do recall following the preinstall instructions for each -
especialy for SP3 which had many.

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
machine

Yes, a Norton free-trial version came preinstalled when I purchase the
PC -I followed the instructions provided at the Symantec site to
completely remove the application including registry deletions.

5. Which was installed first, IE7 or SP3?

IE 7 preceded SP3 on my machine