Adding Sites in Local Intranet Website List Puts an * in URL

Charles

Adding Sites in Local Intranet Website List Puts an * in URL
Hi All:

If I run a vbscript to do a regwrite that will add a site to the "local
Intranet" sites which is under: tools\Internet Options\Security\Local
Intranet\Sites\Advanced. There you add the entry under "Add this website to
the zone". This is the code I run
that adds the entry in there:

dim owshShell
set owshShell = Createobject("Wscript.Shell")
owshShell.RegWrite "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\charles.corp.com\httpS", "1","REG_DWORD"

On one Windows XP sp2 computer it adds the entry to the Websites box fine
(at home) it looks fine like this in the GUI:
httpS://charles.corp.com

But at work when I run it on a Windows XP sp2 box it looks like this when
viewing it in the GUI after running the script:

httpS://*.charles.corp.com

Any idea what is going on? I want it to show up like this:
httpS://charles.corp.com

Thanks much,
Charles
rob^_^

Re: Adding Sites in Local Intranet Website List Puts an * in URL
Hi Charles,

You didn't mention the versions of IE running on each machine. What you see
in the GUI (Tools>Internet Options, Security tab, Intranet, Sites) depends
upon which version of IE you are using and how it interprets what is written
in the registry by your script.

Open up regedit and compare the registry values on each machine.

Regards.

"Charles" <Charles@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All:
>
> If I run a vbscript to do a regwrite that will add a site to the "local
> Intranet" sites which is under: tools\Internet Options\Security\Local
> Intranet\Sites\Advanced. There you add the entry under "Add this website
> the zone". This is the code I run
> that adds the entry in there:

> dim owshShell
> set owshShell = Createobject("Wscript.Shell")
> owshShell.RegWrite
> "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\charles.corp.com\httpS", "1","REG_DWORD"
>
> On one Windows XP sp2 computer it adds the entry to the Websites box fine
> (at home) it looks fine like this in the GUI:
> httpS://charles.corp.com
>
> But at work when I run it on a Windows XP sp2 box it looks like this when
> viewing it in the GUI after running the script:
>
> httpS://*.charles.corp.com
>
> Any idea what is going on? I want it to show up like this:
> httpS://charles.corp.com
>
> Thanks much,
> Charles

Charles

Re: Adding Sites in Local Intranet Website List Puts an * in URL
Hi Rob:

I did some quick testing and what you eluded to is correct. IE8 and IE7
interprets the registry entry differently. Ran the same script on both
versions and IE7 displays the httpS://*.charles.corp.com and IE8 displays it
as httpS://charles.corp.com.

My task is to make IE7 display it like IE8 does (httpS://charles.corp.com.
I guess it will be impossible to do so? Does both entries provide
functionally the same results just differnt display in the GUI? What can I
tell the customer?

Thanks much for your help!
Charles