IE8 and popups

S. Johnson

IE8 and popups
Ever since installing IE8 on Win Vista Business 32bit, nothing will
open in a new window. Even though the pop up blocker is disabled, it
behaves as if it is on and even CTRL-ALT doesn't work. Anything that
should open in a new popup window doesn't and even adding sites to the
allowed list doesn't work. Any ideas?
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 and popups
Hi,
Is another pop-up blocker running? Something like a toolbar from google,
earthlink, yahoo? How about the Ad-Watch feature of Ad-Aware?
-
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"S. Johnson" <shepiii@covad.net> wrote in message
> Ever since installing IE8 on Win Vista Business 32bit, nothing will
> open in a new window. Even though the pop up blocker is disabled, it
> behaves as if it is on and even CTRL-ALT doesn't work. Anything that
> should open in a new popup window doesn't and even adding sites to the
> allowed list doesn't work. Any ideas?

S. Johnson

Re: IE8 and popups
Not trying to be rude but do I really need to answer this question
twice?

No, there are no other popup blockers and no other programs that are
interfering. There are no antivirus or anti-spyware programs
installed.

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:01:31 -0500, "Don Varnau"
<don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:

>Hi,
>Is another pop-up blocker running? Something like a toolbar from google,
>earthlink, yahoo? How about the Ad-Watch feature of Ad-Aware?
>-
>Don
>[MS MVP- IE]

>"S. Johnson" <shepiii@covad.net> wrote in message
>news:igfh651qbf4hgngiffvnnhbb9prp9cdgr1@4ax.com.. .
>> Ever since installing IE8 on Win Vista Business 32bit, nothing will
>> open in a new window. Even though the pop up blocker is disabled, it
>> behaves as if it is on and even CTRL-ALT doesn't work. Anything that
>> should open in a new popup window doesn't and even adding sites to the
>> allowed list doesn't work. Any ideas?

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 and popups
Hi,
1. Try this command from Start> Run

regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

2. Start Internet Explorer without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
Does the problem persist?

3. Does the problem persist if the computer is started in Safe Mode with
Networking?

> Not trying to be rude but do I really need to answer this question
> twice?
>
> No, there are no other popup blockers and no other programs that are
> interfering. There are no antivirus or anti-spyware programs
> installed.

> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009 19:01:31 -0500, "Don Varnau"
> <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >Is another pop-up blocker running? Something like a toolbar from google,
> >earthlink, yahoo? How about the Ad-Watch feature of Ad-Aware?
> >-
> >Don
> >[MS MVP- IE]

> >"S. Johnson" <shepiii@covad.net> wrote in message
> >news:igfh651qbf4hgngiffvnnhbb9prp9cdgr1@4ax.com.. .
> >> Ever since installing IE8 on Win Vista Business 32bit, nothing will
> >> open in a new window. Even though the pop up blocker is disabled, it
> >> behaves as if it is on and even CTRL-ALT doesn't work. Anything that
> >> should open in a new popup window doesn't and even adding sites to the
> >> allowed list doesn't work. Any ideas?

Re: IE8 and popups
> ...There are no antivirus or anti-spyware programs
> installed.

That could be your problem!

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx