web pages display differently on Vista w/ Internet Explorer 8

John

web pages display differently on Vista w/ Internet Explorer 8
Hi all,

I'm having a problem with a web site that does not seem to want to do the
simple task of centering an image slideshow with Vista and Internet
Explorer.

I have tried JavaScript as well as Flash to create the slideshow and have
also tried making all of the images exactly the same size (i.e. the ones
that don't fit the max dimensions have the background color added to the
image file to fill the space). With JavaScript Vista w/ IE moved all the
images to the left during the transition. With Flash it moves them all to
the right. It seems like Vista must be removing or ignoring the area of the
iamge that is just flat color. I have XP so I can't actually see the
phenomenon but my client says it looks that way on two computers that she
has checked, both with Vista and IE8. Apparently it looks perfect on Vista
w/ Firefox. It also looks perfect on XP with IE8 or Firefox.

The site is here:

http://marikakocerha.com/

The slideshow in question is on the home page. Is there some CSS or
something I can use to make sure all the images are centered?

Thanks

John

Re: web pages display differently on Vista w/ Internet Explorer 8
Actually it seems like I fixed this by putting a <div align="center"> tag
around the call to the .swf file along with the table cell being set to
center.

Now the question is how to make the first image load immediately so you
don't see that little flash of the Flash player loading...

http://marikakocerha.com/

Thanks for any advice.

"John" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having a problem with a web site that does not seem to want to do the
> simple task of centering an image slideshow with Vista and Internet
> Explorer.
>
> I have tried JavaScript as well as Flash to create the slideshow and have
> also tried making all of the images exactly the same size (i.e. the ones
> that don't fit the max dimensions have the background color added to the
> image file to fill the space). With JavaScript Vista w/ IE moved all the
> images to the left during the transition. With Flash it moves them all to
> the right. It seems like Vista must be removing or ignoring the area of
> the iamge that is just flat color. I have XP so I can't actually see the
> phenomenon but my client says it looks that way on two computers that she
> has checked, both with Vista and IE8. Apparently it looks perfect on Vista
> w/ Firefox. It also looks perfect on XP with IE8 or Firefox.
>
> The site is here:
>
> http://marikakocerha.com/
>
> The slideshow in question is on the home page. Is there some CSS or
> something I can use to make sure all the images are centered?
>
> Thanks

Re: web pages display differently on Vista w/ Internet Explorer 8
IE Developer Center
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx

Learn IE8
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740473.aspx

HTML and DHTML Overviews and Tutorials
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and

Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...iedevelopment/
--
~PA Bear

John wrote:
> Actually it seems like I fixed this by putting a <div align="center"> tag
> around the call to the .swf file along with the table cell being set to
> center.
>
> Now the question is how to make the first image load immediately so you
> don't see that little flash of the Flash player loading...
>
> http://marikakocerha.com/
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>

> "John" <noreply@noreply.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm having a problem with a web site that does not seem to want to do the
>> simple task of centering an image slideshow with Vista and Internet
>> Explorer.
>>
>> I have tried JavaScript as well as Flash to create the slideshow and have
>> also tried making all of the images exactly the same size (i.e. the ones
>> that don't fit the max dimensions have the background color added to the
>> image file to fill the space). With JavaScript Vista w/ IE moved all the
>> images to the left during the transition. With Flash it moves them all to
>> the right. It seems like Vista must be removing or ignoring the area of
>> the iamge that is just flat color. I have XP so I can't actually see the
>> phenomenon but my client says it looks that way on two computers that she
>> has checked, both with Vista and IE8. Apparently it looks perfect on
>> Vista
>> w/ Firefox. It also looks perfect on XP with IE8 or Firefox.
>>
>> The site is here:
>>
>> http://marikakocerha.com/
>>
>> The slideshow in question is on the home page. Is there some CSS or
>> something I can use to make sure all the images are centered?
>>
>> Thanks

John

Re: web pages display differently on Vista w/ Internet Explorer 8
I appreciate the thought, but when default has always been left, and the
code says "center" and yet the browser aligns it to the right, maybe it's
not the user who is beig ridiculous.

It actually appears to have something to do with Vista rather than IE. It
displayed fine in IE8 with XP. It only exhibits the bizarre behavior on
Vista with IE8.