Re: Can I keep my IE6 interface?

[crosspost to IE General]

> I'm evidently going to be FORCED to DL IE8...

IE8 will be offered by Automatic Updates but you must approve the install.
See
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-control.aspx.
To avoid IE8 even downloading, go to Windows Update, select CUSTOM and scan:
Uncheck IE8 and "hide" it.

> ...which has been running just fine, on XP SP2

You will want to get SP3 installed before upgrading to IE7 or IE8. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx.

NB: If SP3 isn't installed a year from now, your computer will not be
offered any further critical security updates!

> Will I be able to pick and choose what gets installed?

To a certain degree, yes. See
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...first-run.aspx

> Will I be able to keep my IE6 interface?

No.

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.

Kris Krieger wrote:
> I'm evidently going to be FORCED to DL IE8 (despite the fact that all
> previous attempts to DL anything newer than 6.1-whatever have CRASHED my
> system, which has been running just fine, on XP SP2).
>
> Will I be able to pick and choose what gets installed? Will I be able to
> keep my IE6 interface?
>
> IE8 sopunds to me like even more Dancing Baloney than IE7, which I tried
> on
> other people's systems and did not like. So will I have ANY choice in
> what
> gets forced upon me, or will this be the usual case of being forced to
> adopt
> another HD/memory pig that does little more than force you to try to
> ignore
> even more flashy-blinky-thingies?

Kris Krieger

Re: Can I keep my IE6 interface?
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in

Topposting because I just wanted to say Thanks for the very useful
suggestions - I say "forced" tho' because I've been getting 'warnings' from
websites that they will stop 'supporting' IE6. I have a lot of frustration
with this sort of forced obsolescence...

Anyway, you offered many good ideas and links, so again, Thank You!

- Kris

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
>> I'm evidently going to be FORCED to DL IE8...

> IE8 will be offered by Automatic Updates but you must approve the
> install. See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...n-the-user-is-
> in-control.aspx. To avoid IE8 even downloading, go to Windows Update,
> select CUSTOM and scan: Uncheck IE8 and "hide" it.
>
>> ...which has been running just fine, on XP SP2

> You will want to get SP3 installed before upgrading to IE7 or IE8. See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx.
>
> NB: If SP3 isn't installed a year from now, your computer will not be
> offered any further critical security updates!
>
>> Will I be able to pick and choose what gets installed?

> To a certain degree, yes. See
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...s-first-run.as
> px
>
>> Will I be able to keep my IE6 interface?

> No.
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
> prepared to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.
>
> NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
> prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run
> as Administator.
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows
> Live) and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon)
> before installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
> any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than
> Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If
> you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it
> and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or
> uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point
> prior to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will
> need to see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your
> anti-virus application version, any anti-spyware applications (other
> than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in
> IE8 before you decide install it.

Re: Can I keep my IE6 interface?
YW.

Most anti-virus and security applications no longer support WinXP SP2 or
earlier.

I think you'd like IE7, myself, but YMMV.

Kris Krieger wrote:
> [...]

>> you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it
>> and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or
>> uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>
>> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
>> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point
>> prior to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will
>> need to see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>>
>> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
>> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
>>
>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your
>> anti-virus application version, any anti-spyware applications (other
>> than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in

jbgates

Re: Can I keep my IE6 interface?
GM, Sorry for the BandM, but I feel the same as Kris. Or are we all just
supposed to be Beta Testers? (Address Link lists "beta" in it.) After reading
this thread, I feel chained to updates and reinstalls, etc, that shouldn't
have to be to update. To have to uninstall all the "other" Tool Bars is
outrageous! I lost 8 years of research in Favorites when went to IE7 --
sites with hundreds of LINKS. I am still "trying to recover" from the
emotional drain and disgust of this. And again, the instructions would take
days to follow, and doesn't guarantee screwing up something else.
Apparently, Micorosoft has lost it's ability to realize "others" have other
things to do than sit at their machine and UPDATE, RECONFIGURE, RESTORE POINT
RESTORE, REINSTALL, ETC -- all always with a risk of more problems. I would
bet Bill would have some resolution... Or not? JGB - POed

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> you're running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it
> >> and then enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or
> >> uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
> >>
> >> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> >> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point
> >> prior to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will
> >> need to see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
> >>
> >> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
> >> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
> >>
> >> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your
> >> anti-virus application version, any anti-spyware applications (other
> >> than Defender), and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in

Gordon

"jbgates" <jbgates@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> GM, Sorry for the BandM, but I feel the same as Kris. Or are we all just
> supposed to be Beta Testers? (Address Link lists "beta" in it.) After
> reading
> this thread, I feel chained to updates and reinstalls, etc, that shouldn't
> have to be to update. To have to uninstall all the "other" Tool Bars is
> outrageous! I lost 8 years of research in Favorites when went to IE7 --
> sites with hundreds of LINKS.

So you NEVER made a backup copy of all these 8 years of links?
Do you NEVER backup any of your critical data?
Sorry mate, but if you have NO backup of critical data then you can't winge,
can you?

I have links that go back probably at least eight years - never lost any of
them.

Rule No 1 of Computing: Backup, Backup, Backup.
Rule No 2: There is no rule No 2.
(With apologies to Monty Python...)