Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely

Rich

Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
Often (very) when I start IE8, either from the shortcut, or from a link in
an email, IE opens up but the page remains white with the tab stating
'connecting..' Usually I have to start 3-4 instances of IE before one
completes loading. Once I have one up I can use that instance until it's
closed. New tabs will usually connect as well as links from pages and/or
emails.

I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft extensions
for Media Player and Windows Live.

The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to be
able to open certain sites.

popup blocker is turned off.
enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
Smartscreen filter is turned off.
Inprivate is turned off.

I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of the
above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a crippled
version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just getting
unreasonable.

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Rich wrote:
> Often (very) when I start IE8, either from the shortcut, or from a link in
> an email, IE opens up but the page remains white with the tab stating
> 'connecting..' Usually I have to start 3-4 instances of IE before one
> completes loading. Once I have one up I can use that instance until it's
> closed. New tabs will usually connect as well as links from pages and/or
> emails.
>
> I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft
> extensions
> for Media Player and Windows Live.
>
> The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to be
> able to open certain sites.
>
> popup blocker is turned off.
> enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
> Smartscreen filter is turned off.
> Inprivate is turned off.
>
> I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of
> the
> above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a
> crippled
> version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just getting
> unreasonable.

Rich

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
WinXPsp3, IE8
All current updates applied.

Behavior persists regardless.
Although, I tried this tip (
http://blog.cornerpixel.net/2009/06/...onnecting.aspx )
today and so far everything is working fine...

Doing a google search for this issue generates millions of hits but no real
solutions yet. Although so far, this one looks promising.

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Rich wrote:
>> Often (very) when I start IE8, either from the shortcut, or from a link
>> in
>> an email, IE opens up but the page remains white with the tab stating
>> 'connecting..' Usually I have to start 3-4 instances of IE before one
>> completes loading. Once I have one up I can use that instance until it's
>> closed. New tabs will usually connect as well as links from pages and/or
>> emails.
>>
>> I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft
>> extensions
>> for Media Player and Windows Live.
>>
>> The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to be
>> able to open certain sites.
>>
>> popup blocker is turned off.
>> enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
>> Smartscreen filter is turned off.
>> Inprivate is turned off.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of
>> the
>> above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a
>> crippled
>> version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just
>> getting
>> unreasonable.

Rich

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
meh... spoke too soon.
Problem persists.

"Rich" <nbrk911@windy.comcast.net> wrote in message
> WinXPsp3, IE8
> All current updates applied.
>
> Behavior persists regardless.
> Although, I tried this tip (
> http://blog.cornerpixel.net/2009/06/...onnecting.aspx )
> today and so far everything is working fine...
>
> Doing a google search for this issue generates millions of hits but no
> real solutions yet. Although so far, this one looks promising.

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought it)?
>>
>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Rich wrote:
>>> Often (very) when I start IE8, either from the shortcut, or from a link
>>> in
>>> an email, IE opens up but the page remains white with the tab stating
>>> 'connecting..' Usually I have to start 3-4 instances of IE before one
>>> completes loading. Once I have one up I can use that instance until it's
>>> closed. New tabs will usually connect as well as links from pages and/or
>>> emails.
>>>
>>> I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft
>>> extensions
>>> for Media Player and Windows Live.
>>>
>>> The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to
>>> be
>>> able to open certain sites.
>>>
>>> popup blocker is turned off.
>>> enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
>>> Smartscreen filter is turned off.
>>> Inprivate is turned off.
>>>
>>> I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of
>>> the
>>> above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a
>>> crippled
>>> version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just
>>> getting
>>> unreasonable.

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
I asked several questions in my first reply. You've only answer a few of
them.

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Rich wrote:
> meh... spoke too soon.
> Problem persists.
>
>> WinXPsp3, IE8
>> All current updates applied.
>>
>> Behavior persists regardless.
>> Although, I tried this tip (
>> http://blog.cornerpixel.net/2009/06/...onnecting.aspx
>> ) today and so far everything is working fine...
>>
>> Doing a google search for this issue generates millions of hits but no
>> real solutions yet. Although so far, this one looks promising.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>>
>>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>>> installed IE8?
>>>
>>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>>> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>>> bought it)?
>>>
>>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do
>>> you
>>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Rich

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
Trying again...

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.

WinXPsp3

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

Seems to be fine when starting with No Add-ons Mode but, it often starts in
regular mode as well.
I will try using IE for a day with No Add-ons Mode to see if the problem
persists there.
IE chokes more often when trying to open up a link on a page or in an email,
as opposed to just starting up a fresh instance of IE.

> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorerís (No Add-ons) Mode:

Yes, resetting IE Advanced Settings does not stop the problem.

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?

Using AVG 8.5 Pro with LinkScanner turned off. No AVG add-ons are enabled.
Windows Firewall
Windows Defender

I uninstalled AVG before installing IE8 as I had read that might cause the
problems.
After IE8 was installed I reinstalled AVG 8.5 Pro
I've uninstalled and reinstalled IE8 a few times now trying to get this
fixed.

> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Nope.

> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Nope, this install was from fresh. Installed WinXPsp2 and then installed
sp3, IE8, and all updates prior to creating my own drive image.
Software was installed after that.

This install is a couple three months old now.

> Rich wrote:
>> Often (very) when I start IE8, either from the shortcut, or from a link
>> in
>> an email, IE opens up but the page remains white with the tab stating
>> 'connecting..' Usually I have to start 3-4 instances of IE before one
>> completes loading. Once I have one up I can use that instance until it's
>> closed. New tabs will usually connect as well as links from pages and/or
>> emails.
>>
>> I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft
>> extensions
>> for Media Player and Windows Live.
>>
>> The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to be
>> able to open certain sites.
>>
>> popup blocker is turned off.
>> enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
>> Smartscreen filter is turned off.
>> Inprivate is turned off.
>>
>> I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of
>> the
>> above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a
>> crippled
>> version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just
>> getting
>> unreasonable.

Rich

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
Sigh, and right after posting this I fired up IE8 in No-addons mode and
experienced the same thing.

> [...]

>>> I've turned off all 3rd party extensions as well as the Microsoft
>>> extensions
>>> for Media Player and Windows Live.
>>>
>>> The only 3rd party extension running is Flash which I need in order to
>>> be
>>> able to open certain sites.
>>>
>>> popup blocker is turned off.
>>> enable third-party browser extensions* is unchecked.
>>> Smartscreen filter is turned off.
>>> Inprivate is turned off.
>>>
>>> I know I'm not the only person out there with this problem, but none of
>>> the
>>> above "solutions" seem to fix the problem. What good is it to run a
>>> crippled
>>> version of IE? I like IE, I don't want to switch, but this is just
>>> getting
>>> unreasonable.

Re: Internet Explorer still not opening pages completely
Give this a whirl:

1. Download the installer for AVG Free, saving it to your desktop:
http://free.avg.com/223204

2. Uninstall AVG Free via Add/Remove Programs & reboot.

3. Reinstall AVG Free by double-clicking on the file you saved in #1 above.
Select the Custom installation option and uncheck the LinkScanner,
Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield, Security toolbar and all email scanning
options.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm

4. Manually & repeatedly update AVG until you get a "No more updates"
prompt.
--
~PA Bear