Graphics broken in IE8

Pyramid 36

Graphics broken in IE8
Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
displayed, including on this site. I say "virtually" because some graphics
appear but the vast majority do not. For example on this site, the "Go"
button for the "Search For:" window displays, but none of the buttons to the
immedate left of each post display. The buttons on the top right "Back,
Help" etc. do not appear.

This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.

I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
FireFox and Chrome installed.

Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.
--
"Pyramid 36" Ken

C A Upsdell

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Pyramid 36 wrote:
> Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> displayed, including on this site ...

"on this site"? This is not a site, it is a newsgroup. I assume from
your words that you are using a browser to access the newsgroup instead
of using a proper news reader, but you should keep in mind that many
people use a news reader, and (like me) will have absolutely no idea of
what page you are referring to.

Try instead giving a URL to a page which has the problem.
Leonard Grey

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Same behavior when you run Internet Explorer in 'no add-ons' mode?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Pyramid 36 wrote:
> Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> displayed, including on this site. I say "virtually" because some graphics
> appear but the vast majority do not. For example on this site, the "Go"
> button for the "Search For:" window displays, but none of the buttons to the
> immedate left of each post display. The buttons on the top right "Back,
> Help" etc. do not appear.
>
> This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
> immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.
>
> I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
> FireFox and Chrome installed.
>
> Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Graphics broken in IE8

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-1ea1e7355c8a

> the "Go" button for the "Search For:" window displays,

> but none of the buttons to the immedate left of each post display.

What "buttons" are you referring to?

> The buttons on the top right "Back, Help" etc. do not appear.

No such "here". Help is just a link. No graphic involved with it.

> This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
> immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.
>
> I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
> FireFox and Chrome installed.
>
> Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.

Post a link when you are asking for help with a page's rendering. ; }

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Hello,

You mention that you have Chrome and Firefox installed. Does the problem
occur when you use those to access the pages?

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Pyramid 36" <pyramid36@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message
> Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> displayed, including on this site. I say "virtually" because some
> graphics
> appear but the vast majority do not. For example on this site, the "Go"
> button for the "Search For:" window displays, but none of the buttons to
> the
> immedate left of each post display. The buttons on the top right "Back,
> Help" etc. do not appear.
>
> This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
> immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.
>
> I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
> FireFox and Chrome installed.
>
> Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.
> --
> "Pyramid 36" Ken

Pyramid 36

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
My apologies. I am using IE8 to view this newsgroup and the URL is

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

--
"Pyramid 36" Ken

"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell"@nospam@upsdel" wrote:

> Pyramid 36 wrote:
> > Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> > displayed, including on this site ...

> "on this site"? This is not a site, it is a newsgroup. I assume from
> your words that you are using a browser to access the newsgroup instead
> of using a proper news reader, but you should keep in mind that many
> people use a news reader, and (like me) will have absolutely no idea of
> what page you are referring to.
>
> Try instead giving a URL to a page which has the problem.

Pyramid 36

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Leonard,

I tried IE with Ad-ons turned off and the problem persisted. However, in
doing that, I noticed the Reset option (something I had forgotten even
existed). I knew it would be sort of like driving a nail with a sledge
hammer, but I "hammered" away and it fixed the problem.

Thanks. Your suggestion pointed me towards a solution.

As times permits, I'm going to re-enable Ad-ons one at a time and see if I
can isolate the culprit. In the meantime, everything works and the
inconveniances were very minor.

--
"Pyramid 36" Ken

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Same behavior when you run Internet Explorer in 'no add-ons' mode?
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Pyramid 36 wrote:
> > Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> > displayed, including on this site. I say "virtually" because some graphics
> > appear but the vast majority do not. For example on this site, the "Go"
> > button for the "Search For:" window displays, but none of the buttons to the
> > immedate left of each post display. The buttons on the top right "Back,
> > Help" etc. do not appear.
> >
> > This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
> > immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.
> >
> > I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
> > FireFox and Chrome installed.
> >
> > Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.

Pyramid 36

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Robert,

Thanks very much for the response. My apologies. It's been a long time
since I switched to viewing these newsgroups from my browser that I had
forgotten that many, if not most, folks view them from a "newsreader". (See
my replies to the 1st 2 responses).

I'll try to remember that in the future but I can't make any promises.
Let's just say that I started my computing on a IBM 3033 and my first PC was
an Osborne and that should help explain these occasional lapses of memory.
(had a birthday yesterday, but I'm not telling).

:-) 2 still be here and plugging away!

--
"Pyramid 36" Ken

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Pyramid 36" <pyramid36@yahoo.com.(donotspam)> wrote in message news:A627D657-B878-437D-BCF9-1EA1E7355C8A@microsoft.com...
> > Using an XP machine with SP3. Installed IE8 and virtually no graphics are
> > displayed, including on this site. I say "virtually" because some graphics
> > appear but the vast majority do not.

> > For example on this site,

> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...9-1ea1e7355c8a
>

> > the "Go" button for the "Search For:" window displays,

> > but none of the buttons to the immedate left of each post display.

> What "buttons" are you referring to?
>

> > The buttons on the top right "Back, Help" etc. do not appear.

> No such "here". Help is just a link. No graphic involved with it.
>

> > This problem has persisted for several weeks. I don't think it existed
> > immediately after installing IE8 because I don't use it on a daily basis.
> >
> > I noticed mention of FireFox on some similar postings and I also have
> > FireFox and Chrome installed.
> >
> > Thanks for any help that's forthcoming.

> Post a link when you are asking for help with a page's rendering. ; }
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Pyramid 36

Re: Graphics broken in IE8
Singapore,

No. Viewing from Chrome and FF are fine. The problem is fixed now, however
(see my previous replies). Thanks for your help.
--
"Pyramid 36" Ken