[IE8] about:tabs page is missing all functionality

VanguardLH

[IE8] about:tabs page is missing all functionality
Windows XP Pro SP-3
Internet Explorer 8.00.6001.18702

Problem: "about:Tabs" page has lost all of its functionality.
History: New problem (in last week). This page did display okay before.
Have not been watchful to notice when this page became
incomplete.

I set IE8 to use "about:Tabs" as its home page. I wanted it to display
the recovery options that are present in that page so, for example, I
could elect to reload the last set of tabs when IE8 first loads. The
"about:Tabs" page will no longer display its useful content. Only a
portion of the web page gets painted but none of the recovery features,
like opening the last set of tabs. An error occurs when loading the
page saying:

Webpage error details
Message: Element not found.

Line: 144
Char: 1
Code: 0
URI: res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm

Line 144 has:

contentContainer.style.display='block';">

So when the page loads (its body), the onload event is triggered and the
BuildNewTabPage() method gets called. The about:Tabs page should look
similar to the image below:

http://origin.arstechnica.com/news.m...bout-tabs1.png
or
http://apcmag.com/images/03NewTabs.jpg
or
http://registry.cesabarre.com/Tweaks...age/error1.gif

Alas, all that gets painted is the "What do you want to do next?" line,
a blank section, and a horizontal rule underneath which is a link to
"Learn more about ..." (which is a link to that same web page).

I already tried resetting IE8 (advanced options) and running it in no
add-ons mode. No luck. Rebooting into Windows' Safe Mode didn't help.

Since the resource (tabswelcome.htm web page) appears to come from
ieframe.dll, I looked around to see where it was. It is under
C:\Windows\System32. There are copies of this file elsewhere but are
for older versions, like under C:\Windows\IE8 (maybe that's used when
uninstalling IE8 and going back to the prior version of IE). I looked
in the registry to see how this DLL file was registered. That is, I
checked to see what path was listed for any "server" registry entry that
points at where to find the ieframe.dll file. All of them have the
C:\Windows\System32 path so that's the copy that should get used in any
reference to this DLL that doesn't include a path to it. The version of
ieframe.dll in C:\Windows\System32 is 8.00.60012.18777 and is 11,064,832
bytes in size.

I even ran "sfc /scannow" but the same version of ieframe.dll was left
in C:\Windows\System32. But then I rather expected that result since
this was the same version under the DLLCACHE folder from where the
backup copies are retrieved by the System File Checker utility.

When I try to re-register the DLL file via:

cd \winodws\system32
regsvr32 ieframe.dll

it errors with:

RegSvr32
DllRegisterServer in ieframe.dll failed.
Return code was: 0x80004001

DllRegister is an exported method of the DLL to define how to register
that library in the registry (i.e., it's an entry point in the DLL that
runs code to define how it gets registered). I tried de-registering it
(to then re-register it) but also get the same error. I even booted
into Window's Safe Mode but could not register it. I have a virtual
machine with a clean install of Windows XP Pro SP-3 + Windows updates
(except for IE8 so IE7 still runs in that VM). I still could not
register ieframe.dll inside the test VM so I'm wondering what happens in
all those articles when users try to follow the advice to re-register
this DLL. It fails when I try to re-register it; however, registration
often involves adding definitions in the registry of where to find the
DLL (and perhaps define some functions for particular calls to it) and
my registry entries (that have paths specified to the ieframe.dll) all
point to the one located in C:\Windows\System32.

I found in the registry where these About URLs are defined (about:home,
about:Tabs, etc) and the definitions there look good:

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\AboutURLs
Data items (and their values):
"NavigationFailure"="res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm"
"DesktopItemNavigationFailure"="res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm"
"NavigationCanceled"="res://ieframe.dll/navcancl.htm"
"OfflineInformation"="res://ieframe.dll/offcancl.htm"
"Home"=dword:0000010e
"blank"="res://mshtml.dll/blank.htm"
"PostNotCached"="res://ieframe.dll/repost.htm"
"NoAdd-ons"="res://ieframe.dll/noaddon.htm"
"NoAdd-onsInfo"="res://ieframe.dll/noaddoninfo.htm"
"SecurityRisk"="res://ieframe.dll/securityatrisk.htm"
"Tabs"="res://ieframe.dll/tabswelcome.htm"
"InPrivate"="res://ieframe.dll/inprivate.htm"

From searches, it appears the Tabs data item is correctly defined (as
opposed to malware that attempts to usurp these pages). I entered
"res://ieframe.dll/<page>.htm" in the Address Bar to test each of these
and all of them worked except for tabswelcome.htm which had the script
error reporting a missing element (which I'm guessing is the
BuildNewTabPage() method from some NewTabPageScripts.js script file).

I don't know how to dig into a DLL to determine where it defines these
resources and what are their values (i.e., what should be their HTML
content). However, when I view the source for the about:Tabs page
display, nothing strikes me as missing. It appears that Javascript is
used to dynamically build the page. Line 144 (where the error is
reported) runs the window.external.BuildNewTabPage() method for the
onload event (when the page loads). I'm not sure where this function is
defined except that maybe it is in the .js Javascript file defined in
the <HEAD> section, as in:

<script src="NewTabPageScripts.js" ...>

Presumably this is yet another resource within ieframe.dll because I
cannot find this .js file anywhere on my drive. My guess is that the
BuildNetTabPage() method is used to dynamically construct all the
content on the about:Tabs page between the "What do you want to do
next?" line to the horizontal rule and "Learn more ..." lines. To make
sure scripting was enabled, I used web sites that test Javascript, like
http://www2.webkit.org/perf/sunspide...sunspider.html, and they
passed. So it's not that scripting was somehow disabled in IE8.

I did poke around inside of the ieframe.dll.mui file (also under
C:\Windows\System32) and did find the HTML code for the TabsWelcome.htm
web page in there; however, the NewTabPageScripts.js script file where
this function is probably defined was not found in this .mui file. I
went searching through the contents of files for "NewTabPageScripts.js"
but got no hits.

I ran out of ideas of where to dig next in trying to fix the about:tabs
page other than to try System Restore, seeing if IE8 will re-install
atop of itself (and possibly step atop of whatever is ailing it now), or
to walk back through incremental image backups to see when the problem
disappears. I could switch to using about:blank as the home page but
I'd like to get back the functionality of the about:tabs page (and also
because that is the page displayed when a new tab is opened).
rob^_^

Re: [IE8] about:tabs page is missing all functionality
Hi,

window.external.BuildNewTabPage()

Is an external function. Check your versions of IExplore.exe and IEUser.dll
in the Internet Explorer folder.

Possibly have you been running another MSIE browser like Maxthon? or

Do you have v6 of the Google toolbar installed and have not disabled/enabled
all of its components (toolbar and bho components?)

Regards.

> [...]
>
> I did poke around inside of the ieframe.dll.mui file (also under
> C:\Windows\System32) and did find the HTML code for the TabsWelcome.htm
> web page in there; however, the NewTabPageScripts.js script file where
> this function is probably defined was not found in this .mui file. I
> went searching through the contents of files for "NewTabPageScripts.js"
> but got no hits.
>
> I ran out of ideas of where to dig next in trying to fix the about:tabs
> page other than to try System Restore, seeing if IE8 will re-install
> atop of itself (and possibly step atop of whatever is ailing it now), or
> to walk back through incremental image backups to see when the problem
> disappears. I could switch to using about:blank as the home page but
> I'd like to get back the functionality of the about:tabs page (and also
> because that is the page displayed when a new tab is opened).

Robert Aldwinckle

"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message news:h460ga$udt$1@news.albasani.net...
> Windows XP Pro SP-3
> Internet Explorer 8.00.6001.18702
>
> Problem: "about:Tabs" page has lost all of its functionality.
> History: New problem (in last week). This page did display okay before.
> Have not been watchful to notice when this page became
> incomplete.

Perhaps you re-registered shdocvw.dll's DllInstall recently? <eg>

Ramesh has the answer...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...=en-us&m=1&p=1

(BING search for
ramesh shdocvw "about:tabs"
)

Also, I think that Kai's latest version of his repair tool incorporates
that fix...

http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en

> I already tried resetting IE8 (advanced options) and running it in no
> add-ons mode. No luck. Rebooting into Windows' Safe Mode didn't help.

Unfortunately it appears we were misinformed about what REIS does.
Apparently it does not have the same effect as the old /ierereg was
supposed to provide (which Kai's cmd file now does.)

BTW one of Ramesh pages describes the diagnosis steps he used.

I wasn't sure if this problem was fixed in IE8 or not. It looks as if
your example is showing that it wasn't.

FYI

Robert
---

VanguardLH

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>>
>> Windows XP Pro SP-3
>> Internet Explorer 8.00.6001.18702
>>
>> Problem: "about:Tabs" page has lost all of its functionality.
>> History: New problem (in last week). This page did display okay before.
>> Have not been watchful to notice when this page became
>> incomplete.

> Perhaps you re-registered shdocvw.dll's DllInstall recently? <eg>
>
> Ramesh has the answer...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...=en-us&m=1&p=1
>
> (BING search for
> ramesh shdocvw "about:tabs"
> )
>
> Also, I think that Kai's latest version of his repair tool incorporates
> that fix...
>
> http://iefaq.info/index.php?action=a...133&artlang=en

>> I already tried resetting IE8 (advanced options) and running it in no
>> add-ons mode. No luck. Rebooting into Windows' Safe Mode didn't help.

> Unfortunately it appears we were misinformed about what REIS does.
> Apparently it does not have the same effect as the old /ierereg was
> supposed to provide (which Kai's cmd file now does.)
>
> BTW one of Ramesh pages describes the diagnosis steps he used.
>
> I wasn't sure if this problem was fixed in IE8 or not. It looks as if
> your example is showing that it wasn't.

Thanks for that info. This should get archived in Google Groups so if I
hit the problem again then I can see if re-registering shdocvw.dll or
using the fix tool solves the problem.

My Google searches were fruitless. I did the search for +"about:tabs"
along with other terms but I wasn't finding any helpful articles.
However, I never did a search where I included shdocvw.dll.

I finally exhausted my patience with trying to dig into this problem
that I decided to use the brute force method of restoring from image
backups to find the latest one where the about:tabs page was working.
See my other post (where I reply to myself as an update).

Thanks for your help.
VanguardLH

VanguardLH wrote:

> [...]
>
> I did poke around inside of the ieframe.dll.mui file (also under
> C:\Windows\System32) and did find the HTML code for the TabsWelcome.htm
> web page in there; however, the NewTabPageScripts.js script file where
> this function is probably defined was not found in this .mui file. I
> went searching through the contents of files for "NewTabPageScripts.js"
> but got no hits.
>
> I ran out of ideas of where to dig next in trying to fix the about:tabs
> page other than to try System Restore, seeing if IE8 will re-install
> atop of itself (and possibly step atop of whatever is ailing it now), or
> to walk back through incremental image backups to see when the problem
> disappears. I could switch to using about:blank as the home page but
> I'd like to get back the functionality of the about:tabs page (and also
> because that is the page displayed when a new tab is opened).

Well, I gave up trying to resolve the problem. I suppose that I could
have tried reinstalling IE8 to see if it would have stepped atop
whatever was the problem but I decided to instead restore using backup
images.

I tried using System Restore. There were over a dozen in the last 10
days (more going back further) but they didn't help. Once I go to going
back 10 days, I decided that the restored settings & files would start
to get too much out of sync with my software installs and system and app
tweaks. So I went to restoring from my backup images.

I do full image backups every Monday and incremental image backups every
day (obviously the incremental done just after the full on Monday won't
have much in it). I have Acronis TrueImage and it works very nicely.
The backups are saved in a hidden partition on a 2nd hard disk. I had
some guesses of what might've caused the problem, like when I installed
the Google Toolbar or the IEPro add-on but going back before those
installs did not find an image without an incomplete about:tabs page.
I'd go back to each full backup and check if the about:tabs page was
okay. That took me all the way back to June 29. I tried to jump to
that week's Friday incremental but that didn't work. In all, I had to
test 11 restores from backup images to reinstate the OS partition before
I found out that June 29's image was okay but June 30's image had the
bad about:tabs page.

There's no convenient differencing tool in TrueImage to see what folders
or files changed between the full backup on June 29 and the incremental
backup on June 30. Even if there was, the problem could be in registry
settings or within some files and I wasn't going to to a difference on
all those files (that were different between those 2 backups) even if
TrueImage provided such a tool.

So I restored back to the June 29 full image backup and got back a
usable about:tabs page. I then restored my data files, like the .pst
for Outlook and the data subfolder for Dialog, from Monday's full
backup. I then had to uninstall programs that I had previously
uninstalled June 29 and installed the other ones (except I don't want
the Google stuff) along with doing the Windows updates available since
that date. I do an incremental backup, do a few of these changes, and
retest that the about:tabs page still works.

Sure glad I do daily image backups. See my other reply (to myself to
provide an update post).
VanguardLH

rob^_^ wrote:

> window.external.BuildNewTabPage()
>
> Is an external function. Check your versions of IExplore.exe and IEUser.dll
> in the Internet Explorer folder.

iexplore.exe
Version = 8.00.6001.18702 (mentioned below)
This is the version listed both in the Help->About menu and also when I
right-click on the C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe file
to look at its Properties under the Version tab and select Product
Version.

ieuser.dll
Version =

> Possibly have you been running another MSIE browser like Maxthon? or

Nope, never. Don't like those wrapper apps.

> Do you have v6 of the Google toolbar installed and have not disabled/enabled
> all of its components (toolbar and bho components?)

That's what I thought might be the cause. I did install the latest
Google Toolbar and was using that. However, when I reverted to a backup
image of before when I installed the Google Toolbar (and even before the
earlier install of Google Chrome the day before), the problem remained.
In fact, resolving the problem had be restoring to a backup image that
was over a week before I installed anything Google.

Thanks for responding. If you look in my other post, I eventually gave
up on trying to resolve the problem and instead went through many
restores of backup images of the OS partition until I got to one where
the about:tabs page would work. I've looked at the folder and files
listing for that day's image backup (where about:tabs works) and the
next day's image (where about:tabs is incomplete) but couldn't see
anything obvious as to what changed from one day to the next.

Thanks for trying. Thankfully I do full image backups every Monday and
incremental image backups every other day so I can walk back through the
images to find one before the problem appeared.

VanguardLH wrote:

> ieuser.dll
> Version =

Forgot to come back to this to enter the data. I did a file search
while typing in the rest. No such file was found on my host.
VanguardLH

VanguardLH wrote:

> ... See my other reply (to myself to provide an update post).

Ignore that part. Was supposed to go in a different reply.
Cybot

RE: [IE8] about:tabs page is missing all functionality
I'm having same issue too, but found something weird Try this "interesting"
trick i discovered ad see if it works for you.

After clicking "new tab" button goto tools button and select "developers
console (or just hit F12)

select script tab and select "start debugginng"
after the error is encountered hit the continue script button. on mine the
missing page features then appeared.

"VanguardLH" wrote:

> [...]
> web page in there; however, the NewTabPageScripts.js script file where
> this function is probably defined was not found in this .mui file. I
> went searching through the contents of files for "NewTabPageScripts.js"
> but got no hits.
>
> I ran out of ideas of where to dig next in trying to fix the about:tabs
> page other than to try System Restore, seeing if IE8 will re-install
> atop of itself (and possibly step atop of whatever is ailing it now), or
> to walk back through incremental image backups to see when the problem
> disappears. I could switch to using about:blank as the home page but
> I'd like to get back the functionality of the about:tabs page (and also
> because that is the page displayed when a new tab is opened).

rob^_^

Re: [IE8] about:tabs page is missing all functionality

And in no-Addons Mode? Are you seeing addon artifacts?

Hint - the Google toolbar v6 has a proprietary toolbar:newtab protocol.

Regards.