uninstalling IE

MR

uninstalling IE
Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
IE(my pc is 7 years old)
So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that I
use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
THanks in advance

Singapore Computer Service

Re: uninstalling IE
Hello,

IE is part of the Windows operating system and cannot be uninstalled. But
you can downgrade to IE6 if you wish.

Which program is causing the IE to open?

With regards to the performance issue, try running IE7 without any add-ons.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
Internet Explorer 7 (No Add-ons) to start without any add-ons. Try using the
browser and see if the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE7 normally, go to Tools >
Manage Add-ons and disable all the add-ons. Enable each add-on one at each
time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again after
enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

(if the menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard)

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
> Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
> download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
> I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
> like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
> faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
> IE(my pc is 7 years old)
> So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
> may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
> I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that
> I use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
> ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
> THanks in advance

Leonard Grey

Re: uninstalling IE
"Can I uninstall IE..."

No, because Internet Explorer is part of the operating system.

You can Firefox - or any other browser - as your default browser.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

MR wrote:
> Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
> download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
> I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
> like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
> faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
> IE(my pc is 7 years old)
> So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
> may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
> I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that I
> use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
> ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
> THanks in advance

Re: uninstalling IE
> ...One important factor was that my pages would load up way
> faster with firefox, than with IE

Examine IE Tools | Manage Add-ons: How many of those Add-ons load when you
open a new FF window or tab?

> ...Can I uninstall IE

No, but you can remove access to IE.

MR wrote:
> Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
> download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
> I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
> like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
> faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
> IE(my pc is 7 years old)
> So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
> may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
> I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that
> use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
> ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
> THanks in advance

VanguardLH

Re: uninstalling IE
MR wrote:

> Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
> download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
> I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
> like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
> faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
> IE(my pc is 7 years old)
> So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
> may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
> I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that I
> use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
> ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
> THanks in advance

There are way too many applications that rely on the libraries included
for Internet Explorer. These are called HTAs (HTML Applications). Even
some anti-virus programs use HTAs for the configuration UI. Without IE,
you would find many programs will fail. Also, without IE, you won't be
able to visit and use the Windows Update web site. "Doctor, it hurts
when I do this." "Then don't do that." So use IE only when you must.

Select whatever you want as the default web browser. If speed is your
only criteria then perhaps you want to drop Firefox and go with Chrome
or Safari. No web browser can speed up a site or de-throttle its
connection with you. What I've found with these browsers is that they
significantly speed up their Javascripting engine. That helps with
online Ajax apps or web pages heavily relying on dynamic content. I've
seen no big performance boost on simple HTML pages between the different
web browsers.

You can use Futuremark's PeaceKeeper benchmark to see the performance
differences between different web browsers (as they run on your host
rather than rely on someone else's benchmark who might have different
hardware along with a different suite of background processes); see
http://service.futuremark.com/peacekeeper/index.action. It will install
software on your host (so if you don't want it around later then use
something like Zsoft's Uninstaller to make sure a clean uninstall; i.e.,
do their uninstall followed by Zsoft's - also recommended when you
install web browsers which you don't of which one you will keep as an
alternate to IE).

Remember that many, if not most, benchmarks are heavily biased on
Javascript performance. For an example of benchmarking against real
sites, see:

http://www.codexon.com/posts/a-real-...pera-safari-ie

Don't bother with the mean (average) value. Just see how variable the
web browsers are depending on where they navigate. So what you get
depends on where you go.

Also remember that as you add extensions or plug-ins to Firefox that you
affect its performance (usually negatively). Do your speed test with
all web browsers in their pristine install state or with all add-ons or
extensions removed or disabled.

I didn't bother to keep track of them but in the last week I've hit
sites that rendered faster with IE8 than they did with Chrome. Those
that used a lot of Javascript were definitely faster in Chrome yet some
of them didn't paint correctly in Chrome (probably because their author
was IE-centric and coded for that web browser). Where Chrome was faster
it would show great in a benchmark but the difference of half a second
wouldn't be noticeable by me. In general, I found Chrome to be usually
equal to or much faster than IE8 but occasionally slower. There was
sufficient lack of configurability in Chrome that I grew to dislike its
austere function set or unwanted behaviors that I went back to IE8 as
the default; however, Chrome remains on my host as a backup if I run
into problems with a non-Microsoft web site or I want to test appearance
of my own web pages under different web browsers (to make sure by code
correctly alters what is used for which web browser).
VanguardLH

Re: uninstalling IE
Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hello,
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/

Be leery of advice from a SPAMMER who has a different agenda than the
pretense of giving help. This one does knows how to put his spam in a
signature but refuses to do so because some newsreaders strip off the
signature. He wants to ensure you see his spam.
bobster

Re: uninstalling IE
I continue to be amused, puzzled and sometimes dismayed at the problems that
posters here have with Internet Explorer. I first started using IE with
version 4, then went to IE5, IE5.5, IE6, IE7, and now am using IE8. Along
the way, I tried Opera, Mozilla, Firefox, Maxthon, Avant and several
"minimal" browsers. I always returned to Internet Explorer because it did
everything that I needed in a quick and satisfying way. I particularly like
IE8, it is lightning fast, and I have had virtually no problems with it, in
contrast to many posters
here.

Why have I had such good Internet Explorer performance? I think the answer
is simple. My current system uses XP SP3. I have a relatively fast
computer -- Intel 2.2 duo CPU, big HD, 2 gig memory. I use the Windows
firewall, Avast! antivirus, MVP Host File, Malwarebites and SpyWare Blaster.
I keep everything updated regularly. I have NEVER had a safety issue with
any version of IE and have rarely had performance issues. I am protected by
an external HD, regularly cloned to my main "C" drive. I avoid like the
plague, the fancy "browser helper toolbars" that Google, Yahoo and a myriad
of others offer. They generally have little to offer other than eye candy
and a few goodies that one generally doesn't need and they often measurably
slow system performance.

In short, if one uses good common sense and takes advantage of free
protection software and updates everything regularly, Internet Explorer will
work beautifully and be safe..

This being said, the home user who says "I don't pay any attention to any of
that stuff, I just want to use my computer" is asking for trouble no matter
what browser or OS they use.

"MR" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
Hi, for 7 years I have used windows IE, (6,7,& tried 8) only. I had to
download firefox because a website worked best with it, and it did.
I started to experiment by using firefox for all websites. And I really
like it better. One important factor was that my pages would load up way
faster with firefox, than with IE ; which was always lagging when using
IE(my pc is 7 years old)
So to make it short, Can I uninstall IE without compromising problems that
may arise? How do I do it? What may be affected if I do this installation.
I already have firefox as my default browser but there is one program that I
use that automatically launches IE when i try to use it even so.
ANy tips would help as I am not sure what to do.
THanks in advance

jake_ie8team

Re: uninstalling IE

You can also go to Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel then select
Set Program Access and Defaults on the left hand menu list, then click
the button labeled Custom and then click on Mozilla Firefox under Choose
a Default Web Browser and then click OK. That will set Firefox as your
default browser. If you want to leave access to Internet Explorer
available, make sure the box labeled "Enable access to this program" is
checked. For more info on setting your internet browser defaults with
Internet Explorer 8, check out this post fromt he IE 8 Blog - 'IEBlog :
Changes to IE8's First Run' (http://tinyurl.com/mq78td)
- Jake
MSFT Internet Explorer Outreach Team

--