Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update

Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update
[Crosspost to IE General]

Was Trend Micro AV running in the background when you installed IE8?

Are any Office Live Add-ins installed?

Open IE to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Copy the contents of the
"Your browser sent the following headers" box to your clipboard then paste
the contents of your clipboard into a reply to this post..

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Shane Paull wrote:
> Since upgrading to IE8 on Windows 2003 Server SP2 am now getting the
> following error:
>
> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>
> Windows Update is the online extension of Microsoft Windows that helps you
> get the most out of your computer.
>
> Follow these steps to access Windows Update through the Help and support
> Center:
> Click Start, and then click Help and support.
> If you are running Windows XP, click Keep your computer up-to-date with
> Windows Update.
> If you are running a Windows Server 2003 family product, click Windows
> Update.
>
> Have followed the instructions. Have bounced server. Am running a
> hardware
> firewall, Trend Micro CSMB corporate AV solution.
>
> Thoughts?

Shane Paull

Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update
No Office products installed as it is the DC

The AV was running when windows update was run which installed IE8.

Below is the dump from - http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

For free IE tweaks and enhancements (handpicked by EricLaw), please visit
http://www.EnhanceIE.com.
About the User-Agent String

The User-Agent (or UA) string is sent along in the headers of every HTTP
request so the server knows what type of browser is making the request. For a
quick refresher on the User-Agent string, check out George Shephard's article
in MSDN Magazine. Two MSDN articles describe User-Agent headers:
Understanding User-Agent Strings, and Best Practices for detecting the
Internet Explorer version.

Want Internet Explorer to simulate another version?

Run one of the following scripts and restart all browser instances to see
the change:

•Internet Explorer 6 on WindowsXP (use this to workaround sites that block
IE7 or Windows Vista)
•Internet Explorer 7 on your current OS
•Internet Explorer 7 on Vista
•Internet Explorer 8 on Vista (use this to workaround sites that block
Windows 7)
•Undo User-Agent registry overrides

IE8 users: Check out the free User-Agent Picker add-on, which enables
changing your UA string without restarting the browser.
This addon does not work in IE8 Beta or Win7 Beta, but does work in Release
Candidate and final builds.

Your browser sent the following headers:
Connection: Keep-AliveAccept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/xaml+xml,
application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/x-ms-xbap,
application/x-ms-application, */*Accept-Encoding: gzip,
deflateAccept-Language: en-auHost: www.fiddlertool.comUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.2; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)
ASPNET's HTTPBrowserCapabilities object reports that, based on the
User-Agent, your Browser has the following capabilities:

Type = IE8
Name = IE
Version = 8.0
Major Version = 8
Minor Version = 0
Platform = WinNT
Is Beta = False
Is Crawler = False
Is AOL = False
Is Win16 = False
Is Win32 = True
Supports Frames = True
Supports Tables = True
Supports Cookies = True
Supports VBScript = True
Supports JavaScript = True
Supports Java Applets = True
Supports ActiveX Controls = True

Conditional comments report that you are using Internet Explorer 8.0.

Object Model UA String

getComponentVersion says you are running Internet Explorer 8,0,6001,18702.
window.navigator.userAgent: [Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT
5.2; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR
3.5.30729)]
window.navigator.appMinorVersion: [0]

Document mode clientCaps Info

reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s > Reg.txt
reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt

©2003-2009 Microsoft Corporation

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update
Have you tried setting compatibility mode for the WU site?
Or perhaps just force compatibility mode for all sites.
(That would change the MSIE 8.0 in your UAS to MSIE 7.0)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

"Shane Paull" <ShanePaull@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D33BF1D-76AE-484D-AD26-646AA8D48E04@microsoft.com...
> [...]
> 3.5.30729)]
> window.navigator.appMinorVersion: [0]
>

> Document mode clientCaps Info
>
> reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s > Reg.txt
> reg query "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
> reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> Settings\5.0\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
> reg query "HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
> Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt
> reg query "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\In ternet
> Settings\User Agent" /s >> Reg.txt
> reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentV ersion\Internet
> Settings\User Agent" >> Reg.txt

> 2003-2009 Microsoft Corporation

Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

I suspect that the length of your UA string is causing the problem (and it's
so long because you've got so many .NET Framework versions and Service Packs
installed).

1. Return to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx.

2a. Right-click on the "Internet Explorer 7 on your current OS" link and
Save the download to your desktop.

2b. Right-click on the "Undo User-Agent registry overrides" link and Save
the download to your desktop.

3. Close any open browser windows (includes IE and FF).

4. Double-click on the file you saved in #2a above (IE7.REG) to merge the
data with your Registry.

5. Test your ability to access Windows Update website:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. (I suspect all will be well, yes?)

To reverse the above:

6. Close any open browser windows (includes IE and FF).

7. Double-click on the file you saved in #2b above (UA-UNDO.REG) to merge
the data with your Registry.

Now, you can do one of two things:

#1 => Keep the two REG files above handy and use them per the above whenever
you need to access/use Windows Update website; or...

#2 => You can do a Registry hack and Delete the values "NET CLR
3.0.04506.30" and ".NET CLR 3.0.04506.648" from the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet
Settings\5.0\User Agent\Post Platform

That Reg hack should leave you with a US string short enough to be able to
access Windows Update website without problems and without compromising your
..NET Framework versions in the string for other uses.
--
~PA Bear

Shane Paull wrote:
> No Office products installed as it is the DC
>
> The AV was running when windows update was run which installed IE8.
>
> Below is the dump from - http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

<snip>
> Your browser sent the following headers:
> Connection: Keep-Alive
> Accept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, image/pjpeg,
> application/x-shockwave-flash, application/xaml+xml,
> application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/x-ms-xbap,
> application/x-ms-application, */*
> Accept-Encoding: gzip, deflate
> Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30;
> .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729)

<snip>
<paste>
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Was Trend Micro AV running in the background when you installed IE8?
>
> Are any Office Live Add-ins installed?
>
> Open IE to http://www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx. Copy the contents of the
> "Your browser sent the following headers" box to your clipboard then paste
> the contents of your clipboard into a reply to this post..
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> Shane Paull wrote:
>> Since upgrading to IE8 on Windows 2003 Server SP2 am now getting the
>> following error:
>>
>> Thank you for your interest in obtaining updates from our site.
>>
>> Windows Update is the online extension of Microsoft Windows that helps
>> you
>> get the most out of your computer.
>>
>> Follow these steps to access Windows Update through the Help and support
>> Center:
>> Click Start, and then click Help and support.
>> If you are running Windows XP, click Keep your computer up-to-date with
>> Windows Update.
>> If you are running a Windows Server 2003 family product, click Windows
>> Update.
>>
>> Have followed the instructions. Have bounced server. Am running a
>> hardware
>> firewall, Trend Micro CSMB corporate AV solution.
>>
>> Thoughts?

Shane Paull

Re: IE8 on Server 2003 unable to do Windows Update
Sorry, have been sick..

Thank you for you replies and assistance with this issue.

Unfortunately the fix did not work.

Carried out other recommendations by editing the registry and removing the
values "NET CLR 3.0.04506.30" and ".NET CLR 3.0.04506.648".

Also utiliesed the User Agent Picker and tried setting this at different
versions of IE, this also did not help.

Rolled the registry back and then only applied the IE7 registry hack, the
resulting dump from Fiddlertool below:

Your browser sent the following headers:
Connection: Keep-AliveAccept: image/gif, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
image/pjpeg, application/x-shockwave-flash, application/xaml+xml,
application/vnd.ms-xpsdocument, application/x-ms-xbap,
application/x-ms-application, */*Accept-Encoding: gzip,
deflateAccept-Language: en-auHost: www.fiddlertool.comUser-Agent: Mozilla/4.0
(compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.2; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET
CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648)
ASPNET's HTTPBrowserCapabilities object reports that, based on the
User-Agent, your Browser has the following capabilities:

Type = IE7
Name = IE
Version = 7.0
Major Version = 7
Minor Version = 0
Platform = WinNT
Is Beta = False
Is Crawler = False
Is AOL = False
Is Win16 = False
Is Win32 = True
Supports Frames = True
Supports Tables = True
Supports Cookies = True
Supports VBScript = True
Supports JavaScript = True
Supports Java Applets = True
Supports ActiveX Controls = True

Conditional comments report that you are using Internet Explorer 8.0.

Object Model UA String

getComponentVersion says you are running Internet Explorer 8,0,6001,18702.
window.navigator.userAgent: [Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT
5.2; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.648)]