Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
[crosspost to IE General]

Did you install IE8 in early June?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
listed in Installed Updates?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

If you do the following, does the behavior persist?

=> Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
| Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
out.

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d

Kyro81 wrote:
> There are discussions on this general subject but no aparent resolution.
> About two months ago I was sometimes prevented from opening photo
> attachments on some emails received from the same party and sometimes
> could
> open them. By this I mean, I would click on the paperclip where a list of
> photos would appear and I'd click on on photo and I'd get a message
> saying:
> "Windows cannot find file name (photo captions used by sender).jpg. Make
> sure your typed the name correctly and then try again." Well, of course
> didn't type the file name; the sender did. I could click on the save
> attachments, and once saved to a folder I could open them from the folder.
> I forwarded the mail to others, and they report no problems in viewing the
> photos. I can also view the photos in the email itself, but it would be
> necessary to scan up and down and from left to right to view the whold
> photo and the caption would not appear.
>
> As I say, this would be inconsistent. Some email from the same person I
> can
> open the photos by clicking the paper clip and selecting photos to view
> and
> it will work fine. However, most ot the time I would have the problem
> discussed above.
>
> Today, for the first time I got the following error message: "There was
> an
> error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free space
> and try again." There was one photo that I could not save. I have
> pleanty
> of free space and can view the photo in the email itself.
>
> I've never had these problems before early June of this year.

Kyro81

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> Did you install IE8 in early June?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
> listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>
> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
> | Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
> out.
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
>

> Kyro81 wrote:
> > There are discussions on this general subject but no aparent resolution.
> > About two months ago I was sometimes prevented from opening photo
> > attachments on some emails received from the same party and sometimes
> > could
> > open them. By this I mean, I would click on the paperclip where a list of
> > photos would appear and I'd click on on photo and I'd get a message
> > saying:
> > "Windows cannot find file name (photo captions used by sender).jpg. Make
> > sure your typed the name correctly and then try again." Well, of course
> > didn't type the file name; the sender did. I could click on the save
> > attachments, and once saved to a folder I could open them from the folder.
> > I forwarded the mail to others, and they report no problems in viewing the
> > photos. I can also view the photos in the email itself, but it would be
> > necessary to scan up and down and from left to right to view the whold
> > photo and the caption would not appear.
> >
> > As I say, this would be inconsistent. Some email from the same person I
> > can
> > open the photos by clicking the paper clip and selecting photos to view
> > and
> > it will work fine. However, most ot the time I would have the problem
> > discussed above.
> >
> > Today, for the first time I got the following error message: "There was
> > an
> > error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free space
> > and try again." There was one photo that I could not save. I have
> > pleanty
> > of free space and can view the photo in the email itself.
> >
> > I've never had these problems before early June of this year.

rdg7359

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP PC
and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is worth
so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download or
save files.

Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> Did you install IE8 in early June?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
> listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>
> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
> | Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
> out.
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
>

> Kyro81 wrote:
> > There are discussions on this general subject but no aparent resolution.
> > About two months ago I was sometimes prevented from opening photo
> > attachments on some emails received from the same party and sometimes
> > could
> > open them. By this I mean, I would click on the paperclip where a list of
> > photos would appear and I'd click on on photo and I'd get a message
> > saying:
> > "Windows cannot find file name (photo captions used by sender).jpg. Make
> > sure your typed the name correctly and then try again." Well, of course
> > didn't type the file name; the sender did. I could click on the save
> > attachments, and once saved to a folder I could open them from the folder.
> > I forwarded the mail to others, and they report no problems in viewing the
> > photos. I can also view the photos in the email itself, but it would be
> > necessary to scan up and down and from left to right to view the whold
> > photo and the caption would not appear.
> >
> > As I say, this would be inconsistent. Some email from the same person I
> > can
> > open the photos by clicking the paper clip and selecting photos to view
> > and
> > it will work fine. However, most ot the time I would have the problem
> > discussed above.
> >
> > Today, for the first time I got the following error message: "There was
> > an
> > error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free space
> > and try again." There was one photo that I could not save. I have
> > pleanty
> > of free space and can view the photo in the email itself.
> >
> > I've never had these problems before early June of this year.

Leonard Grey

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
What will you do when there's something on your MAC that you can't
figure out?

"Look out below!"
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

rdg7359 wrote:
> [...]
>>> necessary to scan up and down and from left to right to view the whold
>>> photo and the caption would not appear.
>>>
>>> As I say, this would be inconsistent. Some email from the same person I
>>> can
>>> open the photos by clicking the paper clip and selecting photos to view
>>> and
>>> it will work fine. However, most ot the time I would have the problem
>>> discussed above.
>>>
>>> Today, for the first time I got the following error message: "There was
>>> an
>>> error saving one or more of the attachments. Please check your free space
>>> and try again." There was one photo that I could not save. I have
>>> pleanty
>>> of free space and can view the photo in the email itself.
>>>
>>> I've never had these problems before early June of this year.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
Good luck.
You will run into problems with the Mac also, but you won't have as much
free support available as for a PC.
It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. :-)

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"rdg7359" <rdg7359@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E15EB6E1-F0EA-400F-9AC6-EC322E61C710@microsoft.com...
>I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
> experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP PC
> and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is worth
> so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download or
> save files.
>
> Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
[Another county heard from...]

rdg7359 wrote:
> I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
> experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP
> PC
> and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is
> worth
> so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download
> or
> save files.
>
> Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

<snip hijacked thread>

Steve Cochran

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
Actually Consumer Reports gives Apple the highest rating for computer
support of any computer manufacturer or software company.

steve

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
Good luck.
You will run into problems with the Mac also, but you won't have as much
free support available as for a PC.
It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. :-)

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"rdg7359" <rdg7359@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
> experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP
> PC
> and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is
> worth
> so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download
> or
> save files.
>
> Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
Even after the warranty expires? :-)

--

"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message news:50DEC36F-1F77-4DAE-9445-58A3DD2E690B@microsoft.com...
> Actually Consumer Reports gives Apple the highest rating for computer
> support of any computer manufacturer or software company.
>
> steve
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Good luck.
> You will run into problems with the Mac also, but you won't have as much
> free support available as for a PC.
> It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. :-)

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>

> "rdg7359" <rdg7359@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
>> experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP
>> PC
>> and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is
>> worth
>> so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download
>> or
>> save files.
>>
>> Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

Steve Cochran

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
<quote>
Which computer company is tops in terms of free tech support? Don't expect
it to be anyone on the Windows side of the computer world.
</quote>

From
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e...ch-support.htm

There's a bit more on after warranty support.

Even after the warranty expires? :-)

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen

"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> wrote in message
> Actually Consumer Reports gives Apple the highest rating for computer
> support of any computer manufacturer or software company.
>
> steve
>
> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> Good luck.
> You will run into problems with the Mac also, but you won't have as much
> free support available as for a PC.
> It's called cutting off your nose to spite your face. :-)

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen
>

> "rdg7359" <rdg7359@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I am so disgusted with Windows Vista and ALL the problems that I have
>> experienced since leaving XP that I, as of today, trashed my brand new HP
>> PC
>> and upgraded to a MAC. Microsoft complicates everything and my time is
>> worth
>> so much more than wasting a day trying to figure out why I can't download
>> or
>> save files.
>>
>> Good bye Microsoft 4EVER

Leonard Grey

Re: Unable to open attachments in Windows Mail
What technical support has to deal with:
http://www.techcomedy.com/
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est