Internet explorer 8 will not work

warwe23

Internet explorer 8 will not work
I am unable to use IE8 after the windows updates installed it on my computer.
Before I was using IE7 and was able to get on the internet, but now I
cannot. I get an error message saying:
Windows cannot conect to the internet using http, https, or ftp. This is
probably caused by firewall settings on your computer.

I am still able to get the automatic windows updates and virus software
updates, it just will not allow internet usage unless I start my computer in
safe mode with networking. I have disabled the windows firewall and even the
virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials). This has not
seemed to work. Please help because I even tried to do a system restore but
it does not have any previous restore points besides one that happened after
IE8 was installed. Thank you so much for your help, I do really appreciate
it.

Re: Internet explorer 8 will not work
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

> ...I have disabled the windows firewall and even the
> virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials).

You never want both firewalls enabled, only one, and you never want to
disable all firewalls.

Were both firewalls enabled when you installed IE8?

Were all Webroot Internet Security Essentials components running in the
background when you installed IE8?

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

warwe23 wrote:
> I am unable to use IE8 after the windows updates installed it on my
> computer. Before I was using IE7 and was able to get on the internet, but
> now I cannot. I get an error message saying:
> Windows cannot conect to the internet using http, https, or ftp. This is
> probably caused by firewall settings on your computer.
>
> I am still able to get the automatic windows updates and virus software
> updates, it just will not allow internet usage unless I start my computer
> in
> safe mode with networking. I have disabled the windows firewall and even
> the
> virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials). This has
> not
> seemed to work. Please help because I even tried to do a system restore
> but
> it does not have any previous restore points besides one that happened
> after
> IE8 was installed. Thank you so much for your help, I do really
> appreciate
> it.

warwe23

Re: Internet explorer 8 will not work
Thank you for responding, here are my answers below to the quest
ions you asked.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.

I am using Windows XP SP3

> > ...I have disabled the windows firewall and even the
> > virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials).

> You never want both firewalls enabled, only one, and you never want to
> disable all firewalls.
>
> Were both firewalls enabled when you installed IE8?

No, only the Webroot firewall was enabled.

> Were all Webroot Internet Security Essentials components running in the
> background when you installed IE8?

I am guessing so, yes. However since installing IE8 I did uninstall and
then reinstall Webroot Internet Security Essentials to see if that helped,
and it did not.

> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

Yes, the issue persists still

> 3. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

Yes, but I did Start , Run, Norton and no traces showed up. Also looked in
the Add/Remove programs for Norton and it is gone too. I did uninstall
Norton after getting Webroot.

> 4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

No, I do not.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> warwe23 wrote:
> > I am unable to use IE8 after the windows updates installed it on my
> > computer. Before I was using IE7 and was able to get on the internet, but
> > now I cannot. I get an error message saying:
> > Windows cannot conect to the internet using http, https, or ftp. This is
> > probably caused by firewall settings on your computer.
> >
> > I am still able to get the automatic windows updates and virus software
> > updates, it just will not allow internet usage unless I start my computer
> > in
> > safe mode with networking. I have disabled the windows firewall and even
> > the
> > virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials). This has
> > not
> > seemed to work. Please help because I even tried to do a system restore
> > but
> > it does not have any previous restore points besides one that happened
> > after
> > IE8 was installed. Thank you so much for your help, I do really
> > appreciate
> > it.

Re: Internet explorer 8 will not work
What about my #2, please?

Was your Norton subscription still current when you uninstalled it?

After uninstalling the Norton application, did you also download/run the
Norton Removal Tool? (Ideally, you would have uninstalled the Norton
application & run the removal tool before installing the Webroot Suites.)

warwe23 wrote:
> [...]

>>> Windows cannot conect to the internet using http, https, or ftp. This
>>> is
>>> probably caused by firewall settings on your computer.
>>>
>>> I am still able to get the automatic windows updates and virus software
>>> updates, it just will not allow internet usage unless I start my
>>> computer
>>> in
>>> safe mode with networking. I have disabled the windows firewall and even
>>> the
>>> virus software firewall(Webroot Internet Security Essentials). This has
>>> not
>>> seemed to work. Please help because I even tried to do a system restore
>>> but
>>> it does not have any previous restore points besides one that happened
>>> after
>>> IE8 was installed. Thank you so much for your help, I do really
>>> it.

warwe23

Re: Internet explorer 8 will not work
Ooops I did not see your #2. Originally I uninstalled norton by doing the
add/ remove programs, and had not used the Norton remover tool. I just did
that, and that has fixed my problem. Thank you so very much for helping me
with this issue that I had been stumped and unable to figure out for a week
now. I really do appreciate the time you took and knowledge that you have,
to help me. Thank You again!!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What about my #2, please?
>
> Was your Norton subscription still current when you uninstalled it?
>
> After uninstalling the Norton application, did you also download/run the
> Norton Removal Tool? (Ideally, you would have uninstalled the Norton
> application & run the removal tool before installing the Webroot Suites.)
>

> warwe23 wrote:
> > Thank you for responding, here are my answers below to the quest
> > ions you asked.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.

> > I am using Windows XP SP3

> >> You never want both firewalls enabled, only one, and you never want to
> >> disable all firewalls.
> >>
> >> Were both firewalls enabled when you installed IE8?

> > No, only the Webroot firewall was enabled.
> >>
> >> Were all Webroot Internet Security Essentials components running in the
> >> background when you installed IE8?

> > I am guessing so, yes. However since installing IE8 I did uninstall and
> > then reinstall Webroot Internet Security Essentials to see if that helped,
> > and it did not.
> >
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

> > Yes, the issue persists still
> >
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> > Yes, but I did Start , Run, Norton and no traces showed up. Also looked
> > in
> > the Add/Remove programs for Norton and it is gone too. I did uninstall
> > Norton after getting Webroot.
> >
> >> 4. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

> > No, I do not.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Internet explorer 8 will not work
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback!