IE tab and yahoo search??

L.S.

IE tab and yahoo search??
Win Xp, IE 7.x

Not sure what I've done and not a big problem but when I click on new tab I
have a yahoo search bar just below the "You've opened a new tab" text.
Actually its a search bar "powered by Yahoo Search".
I'm guessing I d/l something that installed it but I've tried to be careful
when d/l and if I'm ask if I want a yahoo tool bar I say 'NO'.
Any ideas on what I've done and how to get rid of it? If it will mess
something up, it can stay. I just want to be the one to decide if I want to
look at it or not.

Thanks,

L.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Is there anything named Yahoo in Add/Remove Programs?

What's your home page? Do you not see this when opening a new IE window?

L.S. wrote:
> Win Xp, IE 7.x
>
> Not sure what I've done and not a big problem but when I click on new tab
> have a yahoo search bar just below the "You've opened a new tab" text.
> Actually its a search bar "powered by Yahoo Search".
> I'm guessing I d/l something that installed it but I've tried to be
> careful
> when d/l and if I'm ask if I want a yahoo tool bar I say 'NO'.
> Any ideas on what I've done and how to get rid of it? If it will mess
> something up, it can stay. I just want to be the one to decide if I want
> look at it or not.
>
> Thanks,
>
> L.

L.S.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
Win Xp sp3

Yahoo messenger (ok)
yahoo search protection (??)
yahoo software update (??)

Homepage opens fine. don't see it.

> WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> Is there anything named Yahoo in Add/Remove Programs?
>
> What's your home page? Do you not see this when opening a new IE window?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> L.S. wrote:
>> Win Xp, IE 7.x
>>
>> Not sure what I've done and not a big problem but when I click on new tab
>> have a yahoo search bar just below the "You've opened a new tab" text.
>> Actually its a search bar "powered by Yahoo Search".
>> I'm guessing I d/l something that installed it but I've tried to be
>> careful
>> when d/l and if I'm ask if I want a yahoo tool bar I say 'NO'.
>> Any ideas on what I've done and how to get rid of it? If it will mess
>> something up, it can stay. I just want to be the one to decide if I want
>> look at it or not.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> L.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
But what is your home page?

Is your ISP (Charter?) a Yahoo Partner and have you installed ISP-provided
software?

Uninstalling "Yahoo Search Protection" (most likely from your ISP) should
stop the behavior, at least for now.

L.S. wrote:
> Win Xp sp3
>
> Yahoo messenger (ok)
> yahoo search protection (??)
> yahoo software update (??)
>
> Homepage opens fine. don't see it.

>> WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>>
>> Is there anything named Yahoo in Add/Remove Programs?
>>
>> What's your home page? Do you not see this when opening a new IE window?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> L.S. wrote:
>>> Win Xp, IE 7.x
>>>
>>> Not sure what I've done and not a big problem but when I click on new
>>> tab
>>> have a yahoo search bar just below the "You've opened a new tab" text.
>>> Actually its a search bar "powered by Yahoo Search".
>>> I'm guessing I d/l something that installed it but I've tried to be
>>> careful
>>> when d/l and if I'm ask if I want a yahoo tool bar I say 'NO'.
>>> Any ideas on what I've done and how to get rid of it? If it will mess
>>> something up, it can stay. I just want to be the one to decide if I want
>>> look at it or not.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> L.

VanguardLH

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
L.S. wrote:

> Win Xp sp3
>
> Yahoo messenger (ok)
> yahoo search protection (??)
> yahoo software update (??)

You don't want the last 2 but you're probably stuck with them if you
still want Yahoo's Messenger. The search protection is Yahoo's toolbar.
It adds the update program (so it can spew ads through their toolbar and
check for an updated version of their toolbar). If you download and
install their Toolbar from Yahoo's site, you also get stuck with their
download manager (Google adds theirs, Adobe adds theirs, and so on, so
after the install, you want to get rid of their superfluous download
manager).

When you install Yahoo Messenger, an install-time option is to make
Yahoo your default search engine. It install includes the search
protection. For search protection to work, their Toolbar is required.
So the installation of Yahoo Messenger includes an install of Yahoo
Toolbar. I don't now if a customized installation lets you deselect the
search protection and/or Toolbar since I don't use it or even want it.
I suspect you could right-click in any unused space in the IE toolbars
to deselect showing the Yahoo Toolbar. Won't get rid of the software
but will get it out of your face.

From now on, stop just clicking as fast as you can through software
installs. Many programs include, by default, the Google or Yahoo
toolbars because they collect revenue on searches made through their
software using those search providers. On each screen shown by an
installation program, read it. They may include software that you don't
want. Sometimes they don't even bother to explain a software program
hoping that the user assumes it is required for the software that they
intended to install.

L.S.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
www.wabashrealty.com

ISP is Charter but I did NOT d/l their software. I use a web hosting
co.(ipower) and run e-mail, etc. through them, not Charter.

I uninstalled Yahoo Search Protection & Yahoo software upadate.

The search bar is still on the 'new' tab.

> But what is your home page?
>
> Is your ISP (Charter?) a Yahoo Partner and have you installed ISP-provided
> software?
>
> Uninstalling "Yahoo Search Protection" (most likely from your ISP) should
> stop the behavior, at least for now.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> L.S. wrote:
>> Win Xp sp3
>>
>> Yahoo messenger (ok)
>> yahoo search protection (??)
>> yahoo software update (??)
>>
>> Homepage opens fine. don't see it.

>>> WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>>>
>>> Is there anything named Yahoo in Add/Remove Programs?
>>>
>>> What's your home page? Do you not see this when opening a new IE
>>> window?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

L.S.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
As stated in other post to PA, I uninstalled the two you mentioned. Still
getting search bar when I open a new tab.

I do try to be careful by unclicking "add Yahoo search bar" or any other
'stuff' I don't want.
In fact, if it tries to d/l something I'm not sure of, I back out and don't
install. Guess I wasn't as careful as I try to be.

As stated, it's not hurting anything, it's just I don't like things put on
my system I don't ask for.
Really pi$$es me off.

L.

> L.S. wrote:
>
>> Win Xp sp3
>>
>> Yahoo messenger (ok)
>> yahoo search protection (??)
>> yahoo software update (??)

> You don't want the last 2 but you're probably stuck with them if you
> still want Yahoo's Messenger. The search protection is Yahoo's toolbar.
> It adds the update program (so it can spew ads through their toolbar and
> check for an updated version of their toolbar). If you download and
> install their Toolbar from Yahoo's site, you also get stuck with their
> download manager (Google adds theirs, Adobe adds theirs, and so on, so
> after the install, you want to get rid of their superfluous download
> manager).
>
> When you install Yahoo Messenger, an install-time option is to make
> Yahoo your default search engine. It install includes the search
> protection. For search protection to work, their Toolbar is required.
> So the installation of Yahoo Messenger includes an install of Yahoo
> Toolbar. I don't now if a customized installation lets you deselect the
> search protection and/or Toolbar since I don't use it or even want it.
> I suspect you could right-click in any unused space in the IE toolbars
> to deselect showing the Yahoo Toolbar. Won't get rid of the software
> but will get it out of your face.
>
> From now on, stop just clicking as fast as you can through software
> installs. Many programs include, by default, the Google or Yahoo
> toolbars because they collect revenue on searches made through their
> software using those search providers. On each screen shown by an
> installation program, read it. They may include software that you don't
> want. Sometimes they don't even bother to explain a software program
> hoping that the user assumes it is required for the software that they
> intended to install.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
Uninstall your current version of Yahoo Messenger & reboot. Now use the
standalone installer to avoid installing the other junk. See
http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archiv...u-toolbar.aspx.

Direct Download:
http://download.yimg.com/ycs/msg/dl/...00_2161_us.exe
--
~PA Bear

L.S. wrote:
> www.wabashrealty.com
>
> ISP is Charter but I did NOT d/l their software. I use a web hosting
> co.(ipower) and run e-mail, etc. through them, not Charter.
>
> I uninstalled Yahoo Search Protection & Yahoo software upadate.
>
> The search bar is still on the 'new' tab.

>> But what is your home page?
>>
>> Is your ISP (Charter?) a Yahoo Partner and have you installed
>> ISP-provided
>> software?
>>
>> Uninstalling "Yahoo Search Protection" (most likely from your ISP) should
>> stop the behavior, at least for now.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> L.S. wrote:
>>> Win Xp sp3
>>>
>>> Yahoo messenger (ok)
>>> yahoo search protection (??)
>>> yahoo software update (??)
>>>
>>> Homepage opens fine. don't see it.

L.S.

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
Done.

Sorry but the search tool bar is still there.

> Uninstall your current version of Yahoo Messenger & reboot. Now use the
> standalone installer to avoid installing the other junk. See
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archiv...u-toolbar.aspx.
>
> Direct Download:
> http://download.yimg.com/ycs/msg/dl/...00_2161_us.exe
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> L.S. wrote:
>> www.wabashrealty.com
>>
>> ISP is Charter but I did NOT d/l their software. I use a web hosting
>> co.(ipower) and run e-mail, etc. through them, not Charter.
>>
>> I uninstalled Yahoo Search Protection & Yahoo software upadate.
>>
>> The search bar is still on the 'new' tab.

>>> But what is your home page?
>>>
>>> Is your ISP (Charter?) a Yahoo Partner and have you installed
>>> ISP-provided
>>> software?
>>>
>>> Uninstalling "Yahoo Search Protection" (most likely from your ISP)
>>> should
>>> stop the behavior, at least for now.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE tab and yahoo search??
Do you see the same behavior after selecting a Blank home page?