Re: Command Failed to Execute

[Crosspost to IE General]

Have you installed IE8?

Did you disable McAfee Security Center's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and
firewall components and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing
IE8?

Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it)?

Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
listed in Installed Updates?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

If you do the following, does the behavior persist?

=> Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
| Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
out.

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d

JSpruell wrote:
> I am getting tired of getting this error message every time I try to open
> an
> email with an attachment in Windows Vista Home Premium. If I want to view
> the attachment, I have to forward the email to my office account and open
> it
> in XP - this is getting ridiculous.
> I have McAfee Security Center, and have never had a problem with opening
> attachments before I had to buy a new computer and could not get the
> needed
> support if I purchased the Windows XP.
> I think this is just a ploy to get consumers to purchase the latest and
> supposedly greatest releases of software programs.
> Any suggestions on what to do to get the attachments to open?
> BTW - I have also checked the Web for any updates that have not been
> downloaded and everything is up to date.
> Thanks for any help I can get.

Ron Wilson

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Have you installed IE8?
>
> Did you disable McAfee Security Center's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and
> firewall components and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing
> IE8?
>
> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
> listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>
> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
> | Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
> out.
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> JSpruell wrote:
> > I am getting tired of getting this error message every time I try to open
> > an
> > email with an attachment in Windows Vista Home Premium. If I want to view
> > the attachment, I have to forward the email to my office account and open
> > it
> > in XP - this is getting ridiculous.
> > I have McAfee Security Center, and have never had a problem with opening
> > attachments before I had to buy a new computer and could not get the
> > needed
> > support if I purchased the Windows XP.
> > I think this is just a ploy to get consumers to purchase the latest and
> > supposedly greatest releases of software programs.
> > Any suggestions on what to do to get the attachments to open?
> > BTW - I have also checked the Web for any updates that have not been
> > downloaded and everything is up to date.
> > Thanks for any help I can get.

> Thanks to ROBEAR this part of his answer fixed my same problem:

Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
place if IE8 was installed properly

evansight

McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
I realize you're trying to help but seriously this is a major problem that
needs to be resolved programatically between Microsoft and McAfee.

Uninstalling the browser is not acceptable (that's McAfee's current
recommendation)
Manually messing around with firewall and anti-virus settings, an error
prone and risky process, every time Microsoft updates it's browser is also
unacceptable. Firefox, Chrome and other browsers don't have this issue, and
neither should Microsoft.

--
- evansight

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to IE General]
>
> Have you installed IE8?
>
> Did you disable McAfee Security Center's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and
> firewall components and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to installing
> IE8?
>
> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been installed
> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it)?
>
> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
> listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>
> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
> | Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
> out.
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> JSpruell wrote:
> > I am getting tired of getting this error message every time I try to open
> > an
> > email with an attachment in Windows Vista Home Premium. If I want to view
> > the attachment, I have to forward the email to my office account and open
> > it
> > in XP - this is getting ridiculous.
> > I have McAfee Security Center, and have never had a problem with opening
> > attachments before I had to buy a new computer and could not get the
> > needed
> > support if I purchased the Windows XP.
> > I think this is just a ploy to get consumers to purchase the latest and
> > supposedly greatest releases of software programs.
> > Any suggestions on what to do to get the attachments to open?
> > BTW - I have also checked the Web for any updates that have not been
> > downloaded and everything is up to date.
> > Thanks for any help I can get.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
"evansight" <evansight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > an
>> > email with an attachment in Windows Vista Home Premium. If I want to
>> > view
>> > the attachment, I have to forward the email to my office account and
>> > open
>> > it
>> > in XP - this is getting ridiculous.
>> > I have McAfee Security Center, and have never had a problem with
>> > opening
>> > attachments before I had to buy a new computer and could not get the
>> > needed
>> > support if I purchased the Windows XP.
>> > I think this is just a ploy to get consumers to purchase the latest and
>> > supposedly greatest releases of software programs.
>> > Any suggestions on what to do to get the attachments to open?
>> > BTW - I have also checked the Web for any updates that have not been
>> > downloaded and everything is up to date.

So uninstall McAfee, and replace it with something better.. Any of the free
av's are better..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

DL

Re: McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
Uninstall McAffee, reboot, retest
If OK reinstall McAfee (Whatever unmentioned version) without the Mail or
Office intergration
Its not an MS issue, its a McAfee issue / problem

"evansight" <evansight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I realize you're trying to help but seriously this is a major problem that
> needs to be resolved programatically between Microsoft and McAfee.
>
> Uninstalling the browser is not acceptable (that's McAfee's current
> recommendation)
> Manually messing around with firewall and anti-virus settings, an error
> prone and risky process, every time Microsoft updates it's browser is also
> unacceptable. Firefox, Chrome and other browsers don't have this issue,
> and
> neither should Microsoft.
>
> --
> - evansight

Re: McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
Who are you and why have you hijacked this thread by changing the subject?

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fca2d8caada4cd

evansight wrote:
> I realize you're trying to help but seriously this is a major problem that
> needs to be resolved programatically between Microsoft and McAfee.
>
> Uninstalling the browser is not acceptable (that's McAfee's current
> recommendation)
> Manually messing around with firewall and anti-virus settings, an error
> prone and risky process, every time Microsoft updates it's browser is also
> unacceptable. Firefox, Chrome and other browsers don't have this issue,
> and
> neither should Microsoft.
>

>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>
>> Have you installed IE8?
>>
>> Did you disable McAfee Security Center's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and
>> firewall components and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
>> installing IE8?
>>
>> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
>> installed
>> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when
>> you
>> bought it)?
>>
>> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista
>> (KB969897)" listed in Installed Updates?
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>>
>> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select
>> Properties
>>> Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
>>> out.

>> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
>> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
>> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> JSpruell wrote:
>>> I am getting tired of getting this error message every time I try to
>>> open
>>> an
>>> email with an attachment in Windows Vista Home Premium. If I want to
>>> view
>>> the attachment, I have to forward the email to my office account and
>>> open
>>> it
>>> in XP - this is getting ridiculous.
>>> I have McAfee Security Center, and have never had a problem with opening
>>> attachments before I had to buy a new computer and could not get the
>>> needed
>>> support if I purchased the Windows XP.
>>> I think this is just a ploy to get consumers to purchase the latest and
>>> supposedly greatest releases of software programs.
>>> Any suggestions on what to do to get the attachments to open?
>>> BTW - I have also checked the Web for any updates that have not been
>>> downloaded and everything is up to date.
>>> Thanks for any help I can get.

Lucky

Re: McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
Actually, based on the problems that have been posted in various groups,
including this one, the answer is for Microsoft to properly debug it's
software prior to releasing it out of Beta. This is not the first and I am
certain it will not be the last major release from Microsoft that is rushed
out, expecting the consumer to debug it for them.

My solution and recommendation, for what free advice is worth. DON'T BE
THE FIRST GUY ON THE BLOCK TO INSTALL NEW SOFTWARE FROM MICROSOFT, or any
other software for that matter.

"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "evansight" <evansight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I realize you're trying to help but seriously this is a major problem that
>> needs to be resolved programatically between Microsoft and McAfee.
>>
>> Uninstalling the browser is not acceptable (that's McAfee's current
>> recommendation)
>> Manually messing around with firewall and anti-virus settings, an error
>> prone and risky process, every time Microsoft updates it's browser is
>> also
>> unacceptable. Firefox, Chrome and other browsers don't have this issue,
>> and
>> neither should Microsoft.
>>
>> --
>> - evansight
>>

>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> [Crosspost to IE General]
>>>
>>> Have you installed IE8?
>>>
>>> Did you disable McAfee Security Center's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and
>>> firewall components and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
>>> installing
>>> IE8?
>>>
>>> Has another McAfee application or a Norton application ever been
>>> installed
>>> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when
>>> you
>>> bought it)?
>>>
>>> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista
>>> (KB969897)"
>>> listed in Installed Updates?
>>>
>>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>>> have
>>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>>
>>> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>>>
>>> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select
>>> Properties
>>> way
>>> out.
>>>
>>> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
>>> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
>>> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

> So uninstall McAfee, and replace it with something better.. Any of the
> free av's are better..
>
> --
>
> Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

Tom Willett

Re: McAfee recommends uninstalling IE8
It's ironic, because people are constantly recommending that users uninstall
the all-intrusive McAfee because of all the problems it causes computers.

:
: My solution and recommendation, for what free advice is worth. DON'T BE
: THE FIRST GUY ON THE BLOCK TO INSTALL NEW SOFTWARE FROM MICROSOFT, or any
: other software for that matter.
:
:
: "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote in message
: news:uxsTGSeEKHA.4824@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: > "evansight" <evansight@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:2FFBE9A8-A6B1-457B-BE1D-F2DED4A6AD10@microsoft.com...
: >>I realize you're trying to help but seriously this is a major problem
that
: >> needs to be resolved programatically between Microsoft and McAfee.
: >>
: >> Uninstalling the browser is not acceptable (that's McAfee's current
: >> recommendation)
: >> Manually messing around with firewall and anti-virus settings, an error
: >> prone and risky process, every time Microsoft updates it's browser is
: >> also
: >> unacceptable. Firefox, Chrome and other browsers don't have this
issue,
: >> and
: >> neither should Microsoft.
: >>
: >> --
: >> - evansight
: >>
: >>
: >> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
: >>
: >>> [Crosspost to IE General]
: >>>
: >>> Have you installed IE8?
: >>>
[...]
: >>> --
: >>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
: >>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
: >>>
: >>>
: >>> JSpruell wrote:
[...]
: >
: >
: > So uninstall McAfee, and replace it with something better.. Any of the
: > free av's are better..
: >
: > --
: >