IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment

jamesB

IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment

Well, with no thanks to Microsoft or MS dedicated contributors, I have
still isolated the problem of having .WMV files not opening when
received as an email attachment with Outlook Express 6.0 when IE8 is
installed. No problems with previously installed IE7.

I have now just done a clean install of WinXP SP3, I have then applied
all updates pertaining to the operating system and installed IE7 also
and have kept the default WMP 9.0 but accepted any updates for it.

All this installation and updates done without any anti-virus
installed, so the MS contributors can stop harassing all posters with
the tiresome suggestion/accusation that it is all the fault of the
anti-virus pffff!

I have then installed IE8 and after rebooting the same problem is
present wich is the refusal of received .WMV email attachment opening
when double-clicked in the email.

MICROSOFT NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS !

I then proceeded to install WMP 11.0 and rebooted and LO AND BEHOLD !

NOW RECEIVED EMAIL ATTACHMENTS WITH .WMV EXTENSION OPEN WHEN DOUBLE-
CLICKED IN THE EMAIL !

MICROSOFT NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS !

I have then removed WMP 11.0, rebooted and then proceeded to install
WMP 10.0 and after rebooting the same problem is present wich is the
refusal of received .WMV email attachment opening when double-clicked
in the email.

MICROSOFT NEEDS TO ADDRESS THIS !

This would be soooo easy to correct for them !

I can't stand WMP 11.0, WMP 10.0 I can endure, and WMP 9.0 that comes
standard with WinXP SP3 serves me very well. But because MICROSOFT as
issued a buggy IE8 with not enough regression testing done on it, I
can not install this new browser release and must keep IE7 or install
and use an alternative browser such as Mozilla Firefox 3.5.1 .

If someone absolutely needs to run IE8 and doesn't want to lose any
functionality taken for granted when dealing with some email
attachments, principally .WMV extensions and .WM, this user NEEDS TO
INSTALL WMP 11.0 to maintain same functionality as he had with IE7
installed.

Re: IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment
[crosspost to OE General]

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB969897)" listed in
Installed Updates?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

jamesB wrote:
> Well, with no thanks to Microsoft or MS dedicated contributors, I have
> still isolated the problem of having .WMV files not opening when
> received as an email attachment with Outlook Express 6.0 when IE8 is
> installed. No problems with previously installed IE7.
>
> I have now just done a clean install of WinXP SP3, I have then applied
> all updates pertaining to the operating system and installed IE7 also
> and have kept the default WMP 9.0 but accepted any updates for it.
>
> All this installation and updates done without any anti-virus
> installed, so the MS contributors can stop harassing all posters with
> the tiresome suggestion/accusation that it is all the fault of the
> anti-virus pffff!
>
> I have then installed IE8 and after rebooting the same problem is
> present wich is the refusal of received .WMV email attachment opening
> when double-clicked in the email.

<blithersnippage>

Bruce Hagen

Re: IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment
[Posted here to continue the X-post].

@ jamesB: We are all still trying to figure this stuff out and find common
elements. I believe yours is the first post about .wmv attachments. (Lots
about jpg).

Perhaps IE8 would respond better to WMP version 11. May not be compatible
with version 9. Worth a try IMO. I would remove WMP-9 first and reboot, then
install WMP-11.

Windows Media Player 11:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1/default.aspx
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP [Mail]

> [crosspost to OE General]
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> installed IE8?

> Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB969897)" listed in
> Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> jamesB wrote:
>> Well, with no thanks to Microsoft or MS dedicated contributors, I have
>> still isolated the problem of having .WMV files not opening when
>> received as an email attachment with Outlook Express 6.0 when IE8 is
>> installed. No problems with previously installed IE7.
>>
>> I have now just done a clean install of WinXP SP3, I have then applied
>> all updates pertaining to the operating system and installed IE7 also
>> and have kept the default WMP 9.0 but accepted any updates for it.
>>
>> All this installation and updates done without any anti-virus
>> installed, so the MS contributors can stop harassing all posters with
>> the tiresome suggestion/accusation that it is all the fault of the
>> anti-virus pffff!
>>
>> I have then installed IE8 and after rebooting the same problem is
>> present wich is the refusal of received .WMV email attachment opening
>> when double-clicked in the email.

> <blithersnippage>

jamesB

On Jul 20, 8:41*pm, "Bruce Hagen" <Nos...@mymail.invalid> wrote:
> [Posted here to continue the X-post].
>
> @ jamesB: We are all still trying to figure this stuff out and find common
> elements. I believe yours is the first post about .wmv attachments. (Lots
> about jpg).
>
> Perhaps IE8 would respond better to WMP version 11. May not be compatible
> with version 9. Worth a try IMO. I would remove WMP-9 first and reboot, then
> install WMP-11.
>
> Windows Media Player 11:http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1/default.aspx
> --
>
> * * * * * * * Bruce Hagen
> * * * * * * MS-MVP *[Mail]
> * * * * * Imperial Beach, CA
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:e6BRjmZCKHA..2832@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl ...
>

> > [crosspost to OE General]

> > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> > subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? * What anti-spyware
> > applications (other than Defender)? *What third-party firewall (if any)?
> > Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> > installed IE8?

> > Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> > (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?

> > Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB969897)" listed in
> > Installed Updates?

> > Just asking for now!! *Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> > have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

> > jamesB wrote:
> >> Well, with no thanks to Microsoft or MS dedicated contributors, I have
> >> still isolated the problem of having .WMV files not opening when
> >> received as an email attachment with Outlook Express 6.0 when IE8 is
> >> installed. No problems with previously installed IE7.

> >> I have now just done a clean install of WinXP SP3, I have then applied
> >> all updates pertaining to the operating system and installed IE7 also
> >> and have kept the default WMP 9.0 but accepted any updates for it.

> >> All this installation and updates done without any anti-virus
> >> installed, so the MS contributors can stop harassing all posters with
> >> the tiresome suggestion/accusation that it is all the fault of the
> >> anti-virus pffff!

> >> I have then installed IE8 and after rebooting the same problem is
> >> present wich is the refusal of received .WMV email attachment opening
> >> when double-clicked in the email.

> > <blithersnippage>- Hide quoted text -

hello you two!

It had been 2 months that I wasn't following the progress done on this
matter and had gone back to faithfull IE7( not reliable because of the
memory creap-up wich leads to instabilities if not shut down
periodically, minimizing all tabs and then only restoring the wanted
tab released some memory).

But today I decided to re-follow the newsgroup that I was posting in
some months ago and see if some users had come up with anything new.

Indeed users had found that with various email attachment not opening
issues, some said that ticking the the box in Windows
Mail.....Tools/Options/Security called "block images and other
external
content in HTML e-mail" was one way to solve the problem! but then,
you disabling one thing to get functionality of another part of the
system. But this lwas reported as working inconsistently.
I myself found that the APPLY button of the options dialog box wasn't
behaving correctly: After clicking the APPLY, the button wasn't
greying itself like it normally does for any APPLY button after
clicking it.

Some others tried using a different shortcut to start their email
program and some have had some success with this method. The probable
reason appears to be that some Email program shortcuts have specific
startup/ homedirectory folder specified in their properties.
In the same vein, some other users reported to try "Set Program and
Access Defaults" as a way to get attachments opening successfully
after installing IE8. I haven't read that this was applicable to more
than a few posters.

Some other found that by changing the Temporary Internet Files(TIF)
folders' location, this more consistently resolved the issues with
email attachments not opening correctly after installing IE8.
I tried this and IT WORKED with a few quirks like some had also
reported, but it worked a bit wich is more than I had ever experienced
before.

I had read also that for people that had no issues with email
attachments not opening and playing normally, they had WMP 11.0 so I
tried this and:

I have found that what worked 100% of the time was having installed
Windows Media Player(WMP) 11.0 and IE8.
I prefer to have WMP 9.0 and had stuck with it all the time until I
tried WMP 11.0 today to re-address the IE8 breaking of WMV email
attachment from opening normally.

After I saw that IE8 and WMP 11.0 were working normally and this
combination permitted my WMV email atttachments to open normally and
play, i decided to try un-installing WMP 11.0 and installing WMP 10.0.
The combination of WMP 10.0 and IE8 was unsuccessful as my WMV email
attachments would not open and play.

I then posted my findings with frustration about the lack of
regression testing done on IE8 and continued to read the other threads
about failing email attachments after installing IE8.

I repeat, I had now tried everything with a fresh install of WinXP
SP3, IE6 and WMP 9.0, no anti-virus, no anti-spyware and have
installed all updates pushed to my new setup.
I then installed IE7 and updates again. My email attachments,
specifically .WMV and .WM all opened and played normally when double-
clicked in the email. It is after this that I then proceeded to
install IE8 only to witness the same breakage of the opening of .WMV
(and .WM) attachments.

After reading some more forums/threads, I notice that I have answers
already to my recent post. It was PA BEAR and Bruce Hagen .
PA Bear probably copied and pasted his usual anti-virus bit ;-) wich
is now harassement and aggravation hehehe!
but he now added : "Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer
8 (KB969897)" listed in
Installed Updates? "

NO I DIDN'T HAVE THAT ONE BUT I REMEMBERED THE KB NUMBER AND I WASN'T
ASSOCIATING IT WITH IE* BUT WITH WinXP. SO Iwent to Windows downloads
and checked this update and there was different versions of this
update ( all the same number but different size and for different
application)
PA Bear was asking about the one pertaining to IE8 and I HAD INSTALLED
THE SAME KB969897 but for winXP and there is even one for IE7.

I installed it and after rebooting my .WMV (and .WM) email
attachements open and play as they should and this with WMP 10.0
I THEN PROCEEDED TO UNINSTALL WMP 10.0 and revert back to WMP 9.0. I
also removed media format update for WMP 10.0 and some other WMP
update then rebooted.

AFTER REBOOTING WITH WMP 9.0 INSTALLED WITH IE8, MY .WMV(and .WM)
email attachments open and play normally! HOLLY
**** ! SWEET MOTHER OF GOD !

So the foul up appears to be with IE8 and now KB969897 with its
multiple versions.
BUT IF YOU GET THE KB969897 for IE8 instead of the one for WinXP it
repairs what IE8 had broken. Please consider that I had applied a
change of Temporary Internet Files(TIF) folder wich was working most
of the time.

I must now offer my good thanks to PA Bear for adding this new line to
his copy-n-paste arsenal:
"Is "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 8 (KB969897)"
listed in
Installed Updates? "

I believe that all that have email attachment problems check to see if
you have theWinXP or Vista specific KB969897 AND UN-INSTALL IT! Then
after rebooting go get the IE8 specific KB969897, install it and
reboot, problem should be solved!
If not, then try the relocation of the TIF folder and this also will
make you attain attachments nirvana
jamesB

Re: IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment
****!

My findings are down the drain almost as my .wmv file attachments
aren't opening and playing again.

But they were for at least a couple of hours, as I kept trying them
( 4 different ones contained in four different Emails)

So I have again the problem.

Re: IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment
Watch your language please.

Now please reply to my post, James, and answer all of my questions.

jamesB wrote:
> S***!
>
> My findings are down the drain almost as my .wmv file attachments
> aren't opening and playing again.
>
> But they were for at least a couple of hours, as I kept trying them
> ( 4 different ones contained in four different Emails)
>
> So I have again the problem.

jamesB

On Jul 21, 2:37*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Watch your language please.
>
> Now please reply to my post, James, and answer all of my questions.
>

> jamesB wrote:
> > S***!

> > My findings are down the drain almost as my .wmvfile attachments
> > aren't opening and playing again.

> > But they were for at least a couple of hours, as I kept trying them
> > ( 4 different ones contained in four different Emails)

> > So I have again the problem.- Hide quoted text -

Now watch your tone please and read my post and take note of every
thing I have detailed.
Bogator

Re: IE8 and OE6 incompatibility with WMV files in attachment
I was having the same problem; someone would send a .wmv file and I would
have to save it to my HDD to see it. The error I got when trying to run from
Outlook Express said that there was no association with the wmv file. Well, I
double-checked that under "Folders" and also made sure that the "Do not allow
attachments..." box under security was unticked. Finally, I just reinstalled
Media Player 11 and it worked. I don't remember whether I installed IE8 first
or Media Player 11; anyway, things work fine now.