IE 8 freezes

RENEE

IE 8 freezes
For the past couple of months my computer consistently freezes several times
per day. Cannot get to task manager and when I physically turn the computer
off and then back on - I get the error message that Internet Explorer has
recovered from an error..... I have Kaspersky antivirus and have done a full
scan. I have no spyware, etc. Have stopped most programs from starting up
with the computer. I do NOT know what to do about this problem. I have
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit in a HP computer that is only 6 months old.
Have also done a scan disk. What else can I try to stop this annoying
problem. I have to restart every hour or so in order to prevent the computer
from freezing. Thanks.

Re: IE 8 freezes
Please state your full Windows version (e.g, Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine

5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

RENEE wrote:
> For the past couple of months my computer consistently freezes several
> times
> per day. Cannot get to task manager and when I physically turn the
> computer
> off and then back on - I get the error message that Internet Explorer has
> recovered from an error..... I have Kaspersky antivirus and have done a
> full scan. I have no spyware, etc. Have stopped most programs from
> starting up with the computer. I do NOT know what to do about this
> problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit in a HP computer that is
> only 6 months old. Have also done a scan disk. What else can I try to
> stop
> this annoying problem. I have to restart every hour or so in order to
> prevent the computer from freezing. Thanks.

RENEE

Re: IE 8 freezes
1. I have all Windows updates for my Windows Vista Ultimate

2. Same problem with no Add-ons

3. Will try safe mode (I am not at that particular computer)

4a. As I said - have Kaspersky installed and it is totally up-to-date.
Plus, I use Zone Alarm as a firewall.

4b. Norton was pre-installed (trial version). I used the uninstall and
went to the Norton site to get the proper uninstall as well. I hate Nortons.

5. Restore point does not work. I have never yet had a computer where it
worked for more than a couple of months.

Hope this answers all questions as I really believe I have tried everything.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g, Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?
>
> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>
> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> RENEE wrote:
> > For the past couple of months my computer consistently freezes several
> > times
> > per day. Cannot get to task manager and when I physically turn the
> > computer
> > off and then back on - I get the error message that Internet Explorer has
> > recovered from an error..... I have Kaspersky antivirus and have done a
> > full scan. I have no spyware, etc. Have stopped most programs from
> > starting up with the computer. I do NOT know what to do about this
> > problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit in a HP computer that is
> > only 6 months old. Have also done a scan disk. What else can I try to
> > stop
> > this annoying problem. I have to restart every hour or so in order to
> > prevent the computer from freezing. Thanks.

Re: IE 8 freezes
> Hope this answers all questions...

Since you asked...

We still don't know your full Windows version.

We don't know if your Kaspersky subscription is current.

We don't know if you disabled KAV & ZA and then enabled the Windows Firewall
prior to installing IE8.

RENEE wrote:
> 1. I have all Windows updates for my Windows Vista Ultimate
>
> 2. Same problem with no Add-ons
>
> 3. Will try safe mode (I am not at that particular computer)
>
> 4a. As I said - have Kaspersky installed and it is totally up-to-date.
> Plus, I use Zone Alarm as a firewall.
>
> 4b. Norton was pre-installed (trial version). I used the uninstall and
> went to the Norton site to get the proper uninstall as well. I hate
> Nortons.
>
> 5. Restore point does not work. I have never yet had a computer where it
> worked for more than a couple of months.
>
> Hope this answers all questions as I really believe I have tried
> everything.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g, Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
>> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
>> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
>> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
>> installed
>> IE8?
>>
>> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> machine
>>
>> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> RENEE wrote:
>>> For the past couple of months my computer consistently freezes several
>>> times
>>> per day. Cannot get to task manager and when I physically turn the
>>> computer
>>> off and then back on - I get the error message that Internet Explorer
>>> has
>>> recovered from an error..... I have Kaspersky antivirus and have done a
>>> full scan. I have no spyware, etc. Have stopped most programs from
>>> starting up with the computer. I do NOT know what to do about this
>>> problem. I have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit in a HP computer that is
>>> only 6 months old. Have also done a scan disk. What else can I try to
>>> stop
>>> this annoying problem. I have to restart every hour or so in order to
>>> prevent the computer from freezing. Thanks.

RENEE

Re: IE 8 freezes
Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.), my Kaspersky
subscription is up-to-date also and it automatically updates several times
per day. I did not disable Kaspersky and Zone Alarm when installing IE8. If
this is the problem, how do I totally delete and then reinstall IE8? Windows
Firewall is turned off.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Hope this answers all questions...

> Since you asked...
>
> We still don't know your full Windows version.
>
> We don't know if your Kaspersky subscription is current.
>
> We don't know if you disabled KAV & ZA and then enabled the Windows Firewall
> prior to installing IE8.
>

> RENEE wrote:
> > 1. I have all Windows updates for my Windows Vista Ultimate
> >
> > 2. Same problem with no Add-ons
> >
> > 3. Will try safe mode (I am not at that particular computer)
> >
> > 4a. As I said - have Kaspersky installed and it is totally up-to-date.
> > Plus, I use Zone Alarm as a firewall.
> >
> > 4b. Norton was pre-installed (trial version). I used the uninstall and
> > went to the Norton site to get the proper uninstall as well. I hate
> > Nortons.
> >
> > 5. Restore point does not work. I have never yet had a computer where it
> > worked for more than a couple of months.
> >
> > Hope this answers all questions as I really believe I have tried
> > everything.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g, Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >>
> >> 4a. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> >> subscription current, and is it supported in IE8? What anti-spyware
> >> applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?
> >> Were any of these applications running in the background when you
> >> installed
> >> IE8?
> >>
> >> 4b. Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> 5. Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE 8 freezes
> Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.)

Is SP2 installed or not?

Yes, you can remove & then reinstall IE8. I would strongly recommend
disabling both KAV & ZA prior to uninstalling and reinstalling IE8.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
Administator.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
decide install it.

RENEE wrote:
> Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.), my Kaspersky
> per day. I did not disable Kaspersky and Zone Alarm when installing IE8.
> If this is the problem, how do I totally delete and then reinstall IE8?
> Windows Firewall is turned off.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>>> Hope this answers all questions...

>> Since you asked...
>>
>> We still don't know your full Windows version.
>>
>> We don't know if your Kaspersky subscription is current.
>>
>> We don't know if you disabled KAV & ZA and then enabled the Windows
>> Firewall prior to installing IE8.
>>

>> RENEE wrote:
>>> 1. I have all Windows updates for my Windows Vista Ultimate
>>>
>>> 2. Same problem with no Add-ons
>>>
>>> 3. Will try safe mode (I am not at that particular computer)
>>>
>>> 4a. As I said - have Kaspersky installed and it is totally up-to-date.
>>> Plus, I use Zone Alarm as a firewall.
>>>
>>> 4b. Norton was pre-installed (trial version). I used the uninstall and
>>> went to the Norton site to get the proper uninstall as well. I hate
>>> Nortons.
>>>
>>> 5. Restore point does not work. I have never yet had a computer where
>>> it
>>> worked for more than a couple of months.
>>>
>>> Hope this answers all questions as I really believe I have tried
>>> everything.

RENEE

Re: IE 8 freezes

Yes, I have SP2. Will try to uninstall and reinstall IE8 tonight. And - no
use creating a restore point. It always tells me that I cannot restore to
"whatever point I use" try another one. Doesn't matter what point I use.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.)

> Is SP2 installed or not?
>
> Yes, you can remove & then reinstall IE8. I would strongly recommend
> disabling both KAV & ZA prior to uninstalling and reinstalling IE8.
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>

> NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
> to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
> Administator.
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
> reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
> and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
> decide install it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> RENEE wrote:
> > Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.), my Kaspersky
> > per day. I did not disable Kaspersky and Zone Alarm when installing IE8.
> > If this is the problem, how do I totally delete and then reinstall IE8?
> > Windows Firewall is turned off.

> >> Since you asked...
> >>
> >> We still don't know your full Windows version.
> >>
> >> We don't know if your Kaspersky subscription is current.
> >>
> >> We don't know if you disabled KAV & ZA and then enabled the Windows
> >> Firewall prior to installing IE8.

Re: IE 8 freezes
> ...It always tells me that I cannot restore to
> "whatever point I use" try another one.

That may be indicative of a hijackware infection. If such is the case, I
suspect uninstalling and/or reinstalling IE8 isn't going to help.

RENEE wrote:
> Yes, I have SP2. Will try to uninstall and reinstall IE8 tonight. And -
> no
> use creating a restore point. It always tells me that I cannot restore to
> "whatever point I use" try another one. Doesn't matter what point I use.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.)

>> Is SP2 installed or not?
>>
>> Yes, you can remove & then reinstall IE8. I would strongly recommend
>> disabling both KAV & ZA prior to uninstalling and reinstalling IE8.
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>
>> My personal recommendations include:
>>
>> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>>

>> NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
>> prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
>> Administator.
>>
>> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
>> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>>
>> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon)
>> before
>> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>
>> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
>> any
>> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
>> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
>> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling
>> the
>> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>>
>> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
>> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior
>> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
>> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>>
>> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
>> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
>>
>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
>> application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
>> and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
>> decide install it.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> RENEE wrote:
>>> Windows Vista Ultimate with all the updates (SP1, etc.), my Kaspersky
>>> times
>>> per day. I did not disable Kaspersky and Zone Alarm when installing
>>> IE8.
>>> If this is the problem, how do I totally delete and then reinstall IE8?
>>> Windows Firewall is turned off.

RENEE

Re: IE 8 freezes
What program do you suggest would be the best to remove hijackware?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > ...It always tells me that I cannot restore to
> > "whatever point I use" try another one.

> That may be indicative of a hijackware infection. If such is the case, I
> suspect uninstalling and/or reinstalling IE8 isn't going to help.
>

> RENEE wrote:
> > Yes, I have SP2. Will try to uninstall and reinstall IE8 tonight. And -
> > no
> > use creating a restore point. It always tells me that I cannot restore to

> >> Is SP2 installed or not?
> >>
> >> Yes, you can remove & then reinstall IE8. I would strongly recommend
> >> disabling both KAV & ZA prior to uninstalling and reinstalling IE8.
> >>
> >> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> >>
> >> My personal recommendations include:
> >>
> >> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
> >>

> >> NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're
> >> prepared to install IE8, right-click on the saved file and select "Run as
> >> Administator.
> >>
> >> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> >> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
> >>
> >> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon)
> >> before
> >> installing or uninstalling IE8.
> >>
> >> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
> >> any
> >> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
> >> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
> >> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling
> >> the
> >> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
> >>
> >> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> >> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior
> >> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
> >> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
> >>
> >> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
> >> Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.
> >>
> >> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> >> application version, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender),
> >> and your third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 before you
> >> decide install it.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE 8 freezes
You'll need more than a program, Renee. And I'm not saying your problems
are being caused by hijackware infections, only that it's a possibility.

2. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**