Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com

bradpalm1

Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
For the last several weeks, I believe correlating with my download of
Explorer 8 onto my Vista Ultimate system, whenever I go to the Amazon.com
site I receive a Data Execution Prevention warning and Explorer closes down
the webpage. Although I'm not certain, this appears to only happen on
Amazon.com site for which I've had a long time account.

My OS version is 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 (32-bit). I frequently
make sure my updates are current and run Windows Defender as well as Norton
360 on a regular basis.

Please tell me how I can correct this frustrating issue.

Thanks,

Scott
rob^_^

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
Hi Brad,

Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?

DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy toolbars
installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to track your
surfing history.

The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
Search Box instead.

Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google toolbar
(v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at toolbar.google.com.

You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in no-Addons
mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons).

You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.

toolbar.live.com
toolbar.yahoo.com
toolbar.aol.com

Regards.

"bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message
> For the last several weeks, I believe correlating with my download of
> Explorer 8 onto my Vista Ultimate system, whenever I go to the Amazon.com
> site I receive a Data Execution Prevention warning and Explorer closes
> down
> the webpage. Although I'm not certain, this appears to only happen on
> Amazon.com site for which I've had a long time account.
>
> My OS version is 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 (32-bit). I frequently
> make sure my updates are current and run Windows Defender as well as
> Norton
> 360 on a regular basis.
>
> Please tell me how I can correct this frustrating issue.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Scott

bradpalm1

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the problem,
but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6 without
benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars (that I
can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi Brad,
>
> Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?
>
> DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy toolbars
> installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to track your
> surfing history.
>
> The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
> Search Box instead.
>
> Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google toolbar
> (v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at toolbar.google.com.
>
> You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in no-Addons
> mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no Addons).
>
> You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
> installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.
>
> toolbar.live.com
> toolbar.yahoo.com
> toolbar.aol.com
>
> Regards.
>
> "bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message
> > For the last several weeks, I believe correlating with my download of
> > Explorer 8 onto my Vista Ultimate system, whenever I go to the Amazon.com
> > site I receive a Data Execution Prevention warning and Explorer closes
> > down
> > the webpage. Although I'm not certain, this appears to only happen on
> > Amazon.com site for which I've had a long time account.
> >
> > My OS version is 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 (32-bit). I frequently
> > make sure my updates are current and run Windows Defender as well as
> > Norton
> > 360 on a regular basis.
> >
> > Please tell me how I can correct this frustrating issue.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
<kibbitz>

Have you rebooted since installing GoogleToolbar v6? If not, please do so
and see if the behavior persists.

Does the behavior persist if you disable all Norton Add-ons?

Are you currently running Norton 360 (N360) 2009 v2.5 or v3.0?

Did you disable all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; any
Norton Add-ons; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
installing IE8?

Has another Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed
on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
bought it; Norton Internet Security 2007; Norton AntiVirus 2005)?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

</kibbitz>

bradpalm1 wrote:
> Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the
> problem,
> but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6
> without
> benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars
> (that
> I can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other
> suggestions?
>
> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?
>>
>> DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy
>> toolbars installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to
>> track
>> your surfing history.
>>
>> The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
>> Search Box instead.
>>
>> Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google
>> toolbar (v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at
>> toolbar.google.com.
>>
>> You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in
>> no-Addons mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer
>> (no Addons).
>>
>> You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
>> installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.
>>
>> toolbar.live.com
>> toolbar.yahoo.com
>> toolbar.aol.com
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message
>>> For the last several weeks, I believe correlating with my download of
>>> Explorer 8 onto my Vista Ultimate system, whenever I go to the
>>> Amazon.com
>>> site I receive a Data Execution Prevention warning and Explorer closes
>>> down
>>> the webpage. Although I'm not certain, this appears to only happen on
>>> Amazon.com site for which I've had a long time account.
>>>
>>> My OS version is 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 (32-bit). I
>>> frequently
>>> make sure my updates are current and run Windows Defender as well as
>>> Norton
>>> 360 on a regular basis.
>>>
>>> Please tell me how I can correct this frustrating issue.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Scott

rob^_^

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
Hi,

Robears' response is appropiate. viz... Have you re-booted since installing
v6 of the GTB... you may still have an older version of the
GoogleToolbarupdater.exe in your windows startup list (see msconfig.exe).

> Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the
> problem,
> but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6
> without
> benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars
> (that I
> can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.
>

> "rob^_^" wrote:
>
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?
>>
>> DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy
>> toolbars
>> installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to track your
>> surfing history.
>>
>> The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
>> Search Box instead.
>>
>> Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google
>> toolbar
>> (v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at toolbar.google.com.
>>
>> You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in
>> no-Addons
>> mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no
>> Addons).
>>
>> You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
>> installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.
>>
>> toolbar.live.com
>> toolbar.yahoo.com
>> toolbar.aol.com
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> "bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message
>> > For the last several weeks, I believe correlating with my download of
>> > Explorer 8 onto my Vista Ultimate system, whenever I go to the
>> > Amazon.com
>> > site I receive a Data Execution Prevention warning and Explorer closes
>> > down
>> > the webpage. Although I'm not certain, this appears to only happen on
>> > Amazon.com site for which I've had a long time account.
>> >
>> > My OS version is 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002 (32-bit). I
>> > frequently
>> > make sure my updates are current and run Windows Defender as well as
>> > Norton
>> > 360 on a regular basis.
>> >
>> > Please tell me how I can correct this frustrating issue.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Scott

bradpalm1

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
I've rebooted since I installed Google Toolbar v6 but IE8 still shuts
Amazon.com down. I have Norton 360 2.5.0.5 which is the only McAfee
application ever installed on this computer (when I bought the computer).
It's been updated and run multiple times before and since this problem began.

I didn't disable any Norton 360's components or enable Windows Firewall
prior to installing IE8. How do I disable the Norton Add-ons and would it
help if I did? Should I disable Windows Firewall and try again? Disabling the
add-ons when I start the IE8 browser definitely solves the problem, but why
is Amazon.com just affected and why out of the blue?

Thanks,

Scott

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> <kibbitz>
>
> Have you rebooted since installing GoogleToolbar v6? If not, please do so
> and see if the behavior persists.
>
> Does the behavior persist if you disable all Norton Add-ons?
>
> Are you currently running Norton 360 (N360) 2009 v2.5 or v3.0?
>
> Did you disable all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; any
> Norton Add-ons; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> installing IE8?
>
> Has another Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed
> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> bought it; Norton Internet Security 2007; Norton AntiVirus 2005)?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> </kibbitz>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> bradpalm1 wrote:
> > Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the
> > problem,
> > but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6
> > without
> > benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars
> > (that
> > I can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other
> > suggestions?
> >
> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Brad,
> >>
> >> Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?
> >>
> >> DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy
> >> toolbars installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to
> >> track
> >> your surfing history.
> >>
> >> The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
> >> Search Box instead.
> >>
> >> Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google
> >> toolbar (v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at
> >> toolbar.google.com.
> >>
> >> You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in
> >> no-Addons mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer
> >> (no Addons).
> >>
> >> You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
> >> installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.
> >>
> >> toolbar.live.com
> >> toolbar.yahoo.com
> >> toolbar.aol.com
> >>
> >> Regards.

bradpalm1

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
I would like to add that this morning I was surfing on the Drudge and
received the same DEP warning when I was connected to an article on the
Boston.com news site. These shut-downs seem random but it's distressing that
the functionality of my IE8 browser is increasingly going down the tubes.

Scott

"rob^_^" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Robears' response is appropiate. viz... Have you re-booted since installing
> v6 of the GTB... you may still have an older version of the
> GoogleToolbarupdater.exe in your windows startup list (see msconfig.exe).
>

> Regards.
>
> "bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the
> > problem,
> > but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6
> > without
> > benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars
> > (that I
> > can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > "rob^_^" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Brad,
> >>
> >> Do you have the A9 toolbar and sidebar installed?
> >>
> >> DEP (Data Execution Prevention) usually occurs when you have legacy
> >> toolbars
> >> installed that try to read your cookies from other sites to track your
> >> surfing history.
> >>
> >> The A9 toolbar (Amazon) is no longer supported and you should use the IE
> >> Search Box instead.
> >>
> >> Most DEP incidents have occurred with earlier versions of the Google
> >> toolbar
> >> (v4) and you can correct this by updating to v6 at toolbar.google.com.
> >>
> >> You can test if a toolbar is causing the problem by running IE8 in
> >> no-Addons
> >> mode (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Internet Explorer (no
> >> Addons).
> >>
> >> You should also check for updates for any other Toolbars that you have
> >> installed as most vendors have released new versions for IE8.
> >>
> >> toolbar.live.com
> >> toolbar.yahoo.com
> >> toolbar.aol.com
> >>
> >> Regards.

Robert Aldwinckle

"bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message newsA7E4349-FDC3-4022-9E76-E40C03F56F8F@microsoft.com...
> I've rebooted since I installed Google Toolbar v6 but IE8 still shuts
> Amazon.com down. I have Norton 360 2.5.0.5 which is the only McAfee
> application ever installed on this computer (when I bought the computer).
> It's been updated and run multiple times before and since this problem began.
>
> I didn't disable any Norton 360's components or enable Windows Firewall
> prior to installing IE8. How do I disable the Norton Add-ons and would it
> help if I did? Should I disable Windows Firewall and try again?

> Disabling the add-ons when I start the IE8 browser definitely solves the problem,

So, start finding out which particular add-ons you need to leave disabled instead.

> but why is Amazon.com just affected and why out of the blue?

What page? What add-ons are used on it?
Perhaps there is a version dependency there? (Etc.)

Another approach to guessing what the cause is
would be refining your symptom description and analysing
its details. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Thanks,
>
> Scott
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> <kibbitz>
>>
>> Have you rebooted since installing GoogleToolbar v6? If not, please do so
>> and see if the behavior persists.
>>
>> Does the behavior persist if you disable all Norton Add-ons?
>>
>> Are you currently running Norton 360 (N360) 2009 v2.5 or v3.0?
>>
>> Did you disable all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; any
>> Norton Add-ons; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
>> installing IE8?
>>
>> Has another Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed
>> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
>> bought it; Norton Internet Security 2007; Norton AntiVirus 2005)?
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>
>> </kibbitz>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> bradpalm1 wrote:
>> > Thanks Rob. When I run IE8 with no-Addons that certainly solves the
>> > problem,
>> > but I only run the Google toolbar on IE8 which I just updated to v6
>> > without
>> > benefit. I don't run the Amazon toolbar, Yahoo, AOL or other toolbars
>> > (that
>> > I can see). Could this be a problem with Norton 360? Any other
>> > suggestions?

bradpalm1

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
I'm not certain how to go about disabling specific add-ons or determining
what add-ons are active at a certain time. As lowly, essentially
computer-illiterate primary care physician I'm familiar with analysing human
disease symptoms, but not diagnosing computer problems (diseases) such as
this.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "bradpalm1" <spalmer@synthonicsinc.com> wrote in message newsA7E4349-FDC3-4022-9E76-E40C03F56F8F@microsoft.com...
> > I've rebooted since I installed Google Toolbar v6 but IE8 still shuts
> > Amazon.com down. I have Norton 360 2.5.0.5 which is the only McAfee
> > application ever installed on this computer (when I bought the computer).
> > It's been updated and run multiple times before and since this problem began.
> >
> > I didn't disable any Norton 360's components or enable Windows Firewall
> > prior to installing IE8. How do I disable the Norton Add-ons and would it
> > help if I did? Should I disable Windows Firewall and try again?

> > Disabling the add-ons when I start the IE8 browser definitely solves the problem,

> So, start finding out which particular add-ons you need to leave disabled instead.
>

> > but why is Amazon.com just affected and why out of the blue?

> What page? What add-ons are used on it?
> Perhaps there is a version dependency there? (Etc.)
>

> Another approach to guessing what the cause is
> would be refining your symptom description and analysing
> its details. ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> <kibbitz>
> >>
> >> Have you rebooted since installing GoogleToolbar v6? If not, please do so
> >> and see if the behavior persists.
> >>
> >> Does the behavior persist if you disable all Norton Add-ons?
> >>
> >> Are you currently running Norton 360 (N360) 2009 v2.5 or v3.0?
> >>
> >> Did you disable all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; any
> >> Norton Add-ons; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to
> >> installing IE8?
> >>
> >> Has another Norton application or a McAfee application ever been installed
> >> on this machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought it; Norton Internet Security 2007; Norton AntiVirus 2005)?
> >>
> >> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> >> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
> >>
> >> </kibbitz>
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Data Execution Prevention warning with Amazon.com
I'll have more for you after you answer this question: Was a Norton
application preinstalled on the computer when you purchased it? If so, was
it N360 (2009?) v2.5.x?

Also:

> ...I have Norton 360 2.5.0.5 which is the only McAfee
> application ever installed on this computer...

Did you mean "the only Norton application" above?