Re: IE8 hangs too much for me

[crosspost to IE General]

> I have NO anti-virus software of any kind installed.

Why not? (Windows Defender is NOT an anti-virus application!)

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

There is a very good chance that you've been seeing the effects of a
hijackware infection all along! Backup your personal data, then do a format
& clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place
upgrade) will NOT fix this!

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

larryh1108 wrote:
> Ok, I have had IE8 since it was in beta form. It has it's pluses and the
> negative is it seems to have certain times when it hangs and freezes every
> few minutes and other times it functions perfectly for days or weeks on
> end.
> What is the difference? Is it peak usage? I don't change anything on my
> end.
>
> I have Vista 64-bit
> I have NO anti-virus software of any kind installed.
> I recently (last week) set it back to the defaults and lost all my
> cookies,
> passwords, etc hoping it would fix it... no luck.
> If I run it without add-ons, why have IE8 at all?
>
> Is it just smarter to go back to IE7 until they clean up this mess? I
> wrote
> a 1 hour email to someone only to have it eaten up with a hang. nice!
> Thank
> you Microsoft. My computer is 3 months old and is the latest in all the
> memory, RAM and everything else out there. It is not my computer, it is
> IE8.
> I am so frustrated I want to chuck the computer out of the window. I have
> dumped all my temp int files, cookies, etc. I am done dumping. The next
> thing I dump is IE8 and go to FireFox. I've used it before and USED TO
> prefer IE but this is plain ridiculous. Will they fix IE8 soon? Is IE7 the
> way to go or should IE lose another customer while I switch to another
> application?

larryh1108

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
After your post, I bought McAfee's best program and loaded it. I scanned
every inch of my computer. Nothing was found. (My computer is 3 mos old). I
still got a few hangs but not as often. That has been the way it is with
IE8.... ok for 2-3 weeks, terrible for a week or so. It's not my computer.
It's IE8 with Vista, I believe.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> > I have NO anti-virus software of any kind installed.

> Why not? (Windows Defender is NOT an anti-virus application!)
>
> Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx
>
> There is a very good chance that you've been seeing the effects of a
> hijackware infection all along! Backup your personal data, then do a format
> & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place
> upgrade) will NOT fix this!
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> larryh1108 wrote:
> > Ok, I have had IE8 since it was in beta form. It has it's pluses and the
> > negative is it seems to have certain times when it hangs and freezes every
> > few minutes and other times it functions perfectly for days or weeks on
> > end.
> > What is the difference? Is it peak usage? I don't change anything on my
> > end.
> >
> > I have Vista 64-bit
> > I have NO anti-virus software of any kind installed.
> > I recently (last week) set it back to the defaults and lost all my
> > cookies,
> > passwords, etc hoping it would fix it... no luck.
> > If I run it without add-ons, why have IE8 at all?
> >
> > Is it just smarter to go back to IE7 until they clean up this mess? I
> > wrote
> > a 1 hour email to someone only to have it eaten up with a hang. nice!
> > Thank
> > you Microsoft. My computer is 3 months old and is the latest in all the
> > memory, RAM and everything else out there. It is not my computer, it is
> > IE8.
> > I am so frustrated I want to chuck the computer out of the window. I have
> > dumped all my temp int files, cookies, etc. I am done dumping. The next
> > thing I dump is IE8 and go to FireFox. I've used it before and USED TO
> > prefer IE but this is plain ridiculous. Will they fix IE8 soon? Is IE7 the
> > way to go or should IE lose another customer while I switch to another
> > application?

Jim

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
[You should have bought NOD32]
Jim
"larryh1108" <larryh1108@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news13AC6B0-DE43-44A5-B515-18C7EAAE89C9@microsoft.com...
> [...]

>> > If I run it without add-ons, why have IE8 at all?
>> >
>> > Is it just smarter to go back to IE7 until they clean up this mess? I
>> > wrote
>> > a 1 hour email to someone only to have it eaten up with a hang. nice!
>> > Thank
>> > you Microsoft. My computer is 3 months old and is the latest in all the
>> > memory, RAM and everything else out there. It is not my computer, it is
>> > IE8.
>> > I am so frustrated I want to chuck the computer out of the window. I
>> > have
>> > dumped all my temp int files, cookies, etc. I am done dumping. The next
>> > thing I dump is IE8 and go to FireFox. I've used it before and USED TO
>> > prefer IE but this is plain ridiculous. Will they fix IE8 soon? Is IE7
>> > the
>> > way to go or should IE lose another customer while I switch to another

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
If you've been running without an anti-virus application installed for 3
months, chances are the McAfee application did not install properly and its
scan results can not be trusted.

Good luck!

larryh1108 wrote:
> [...]

>>> If I run it without add-ons, why have IE8 at all?
>>>
>>> Is it just smarter to go back to IE7 until they clean up this mess? I
>>> wrote
>>> a 1 hour email to someone only to have it eaten up with a hang. nice!
>>> Thank
>>> you Microsoft. My computer is 3 months old and is the latest in all the
>>> memory, RAM and everything else out there. It is not my computer, it is
>>> IE8.
>>> I am so frustrated I want to chuck the computer out of the window. I
>>> have
>>> dumped all my temp int files, cookies, etc. I am done dumping. The next
>>> thing I dump is IE8 and go to FireFox. I've used it before and USED TO
>>> prefer IE but this is plain ridiculous. Will they fix IE8 soon? Is IE7
>>> the
>>> way to go or should IE lose another customer while I switch to another

larryh1108

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
I got your message but don't know if I agree. How can I load it otherwise? I
wish to state that I have used the net for 15 years and have gotten exactly 1
virus. All of my email is scanned by the host, I never go to shady sites, I
never download anything I am not sure where it came from and I never click
links in pop-ups. I don't add tool bars from any source, ever. I don't get
smileys, cute formats for emails or any add-ons.

If I can load the McAfee a different way, please share it. I am literate
enough to do it. I can also do manual scans if you can direct me to a site
that could find a hidden virus/spyware, etc. If my computer was 3 years old I
could possibly see a virus slipping by but this is too new and I am too
cautious to think I have one. I do have the fire wall on and I am not in a
network or group. I am at my wits end about the hangs and truly believe it is
a flaw in the software. If you work for the host then your answers could be
slanted just a bit because to admit an issue would turn this site upside
down. I guess I'm saying I respectfully disagree with your assessment.

Best of luck.
--
~PA Bear

larryh1108 wrote:
> I got your message but don't know if I agree. How can I load it otherwise?
> wish to state that I have used the net for 15 years and have gotten
> exactly
> 1 virus. All of my email is scanned by the host, I never go to shady
> sites,
> I never download anything I am not sure where it came from and I never
> click
> links in pop-ups. I don't add tool bars from any source, ever. I don't
> get
> smileys, cute formats for emails or any add-ons.
>
> If I can load the McAfee a different way, please share it. I am literate
> enough to do it. I can also do manual scans if you can direct me to a site
> that could find a hidden virus/spyware, etc. If my computer was 3 years
> old
> I could possibly see a virus slipping by but this is too new and I am too
> cautious to think I have one. I do have the fire wall on and I am not in a
> network or group. I am at my wits end about the hangs and truly believe it
> is a flaw in the software. If you work for the host then your answers
> could
> be slanted just a bit because to admit an issue would turn this site
> upside
> down. I guess I'm saying I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If you've been running without an anti-virus application installed for 3
>> months, chances are the McAfee application did not install properly and
>> its
>> scan results can not be trusted.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>

>> larryh1108 wrote:
>>> After your post, I bought McAfee's best program and loaded it. I scanned
>>> every inch of my computer. Nothing was found. (My computer is 3 mos
>>> old).
>>> still got a few hangs but not as often. That has been the way it is with
>>> IE8.... ok for 2-3 weeks, terrible for a week or so. It's not my
>>> computer.
>>> It's IE8 with Vista, I believe.

Graham

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
Are you running Skype?
I had the same problem until I uninstalled Skype...

"larryh1108" wrote:

> I got your message but don't know if I agree. How can I load it otherwise? I
> wish to state that I have used the net for 15 years and have gotten exactly 1
> virus. All of my email is scanned by the host, I never go to shady sites, I
> never download anything I am not sure where it came from and I never click
> links in pop-ups. I don't add tool bars from any source, ever. I don't get
> smileys, cute formats for emails or any add-ons.
>
> If I can load the McAfee a different way, please share it. I am literate
> enough to do it. I can also do manual scans if you can direct me to a site
> that could find a hidden virus/spyware, etc. If my computer was 3 years old I
> could possibly see a virus slipping by but this is too new and I am too
> cautious to think I have one. I do have the fire wall on and I am not in a
> network or group. I am at my wits end about the hangs and truly believe it is
> a flaw in the software. If you work for the host then your answers could be
> slanted just a bit because to admit an issue would turn this site upside
> down. I guess I'm saying I respectfully disagree with your assessment.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If you've been running without an anti-virus application installed for 3
> > months, chances are the McAfee application did not install properly and its
> > scan results can not be trusted.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

> > larryh1108 wrote:
> > > After your post, I bought McAfee's best program and loaded it. I scanned
> > > every inch of my computer. Nothing was found. (My computer is 3 mos old).
> > > still got a few hangs but not as often. That has been the way it is with
> > > IE8.... ok for 2-3 weeks, terrible for a week or so. It's not my computer.
> > > It's IE8 with Vista, I believe.

Babak

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
I uninstalled Skype Web Components and Voila... IE 8 is no longer doing the
annoying hangs... this had gotten so bad, I switched to firefox. Great
recommendation Graham!

Re: IE8 hangs too much for me
Slow performance in Internet Explorer 8 after installing the Skype v4.1
application:
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...plication.aspx