IE8 and MIME

aradia

IE8 and MIME
Hi,
I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow me
to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
The error message I get is:
Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?

When I click find, i get:
Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page will
help you find software needed to open your file.
MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
Windows does not recognize this MIME type.

I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?
Thanks
Graham Wilmott

Re: IE8 and MIME
Have you tried resetting the defaults in Internet Explorer?
In Internet Explorer, click "tools", then "internet options", then
"advanced" and then "reset" and see if that fixes your problem.

aradia wrote:
> Hi,
> I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow me
> to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
> The error message I get is:
> Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?
>
> When I click find, i get:
> Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page will
> help you find software needed to open your file.
> MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
> Windows does not recognize this MIME type.
>
> I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?
> Thanks

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE8 and MIME
Hello,

If you have Google Desktop, try disabling it and see if the problem is still
there. If it is not there, download the latest version of Google Desktop and
install it.

See
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...7-9ebe1cbede42
for more possible solutions

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"aradia" <aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow me
> to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
> The error message I get is:
> Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?
>
> When I click find, i get:
> Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page will
> help you find software needed to open your file.
> MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
> Windows does not recognize this MIME type.
>
> I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?
> Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and MIME

"aradia" <aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35CF55DD-A92D-4669-9C46-C85889CFD223@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow me
> to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
> The error message I get is:
> Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?

Please post an example link. In another example with the same site
an admission that there is a problem on their end and a claim that it is
being worked on was found.

> When I click find, i get:
> Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page will
> help you find software needed to open your file.
> MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
> Windows does not recognize this MIME type.
>
> I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?

Post a URL?

> Thanks

aradia

Re: IE8 and MIME
Hi,

I have tried the other two solutions and they didn't work.

An example of where this is happening is when trying to find the article on
'Photophobia' on wikipedia (I can't post a link as I can't even get to the
website, Search 'photophobia' in google and click the wiki link and then i
get the error messages, it also happens when I go en.wikipedia.org and try to
search for the article there)

Thanks

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "aradia" <aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35CF55DD-A92D-4669-9C46-C85889CFD223@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow me
> > to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
> > The error message I get is:
> > Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?

> Please post an example link. In another example with the same site
> an admission that there is a problem on their end and a claim that it is
> being worked on was found.
>

> > When I click find, i get:
> > Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page will
> > help you find software needed to open your file.
> > MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
> > Windows does not recognize this MIME type.
> >
> > I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?

> Post a URL?
>

> > Thanks

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 and MIME

> Hi,
>
> I have tried the other two solutions and they didn't work.

Have you tried the 3 possible solutions for this problem defined in the
following Blog?
http://blogs.msdn.com/chaun/archive/...mime-type.aspx

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> An example of where this is happening is when trying to find the article
> on
> 'Photophobia' on wikipedia (I can't post a link as I can't even get to the
> website, Search 'photophobia' in google and click the wiki link and then i
> get the error messages, it also happens when I go en.wikipedia.org and try
> search for the article there)
>
> Thanks
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "aradia" <aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have recently installed IE8 (I'm running Vista) and it now wont allow
>> > me
>> > to open Wikipedia pages (and some other websites).
>> > The error message I get is:
>> > Do you want to save this file or find a program online to open it?

>> Please post an example link. In another example with the same site
>> an admission that there is a problem on their end and a claim that it is
>> being worked on was found.
>>

>> > When I click find, i get:
>> > Windows has the following information about this MIME type. This page
>> > will
>> > help you find software needed to open your file.
>> > MIME Type: application/x-gzip-compressed
>> > Windows does not recognize this MIME type.
>> >
>> > I can't seem to find a way to fix it, can anyone help?

>> Post a URL?
>>

>> > Thanks

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE8 and MIME

"aradia" <aradia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33BD8A27-71EF-4EA3-8F2F-8048DBA666C0@microsoft.com...

> An example of where this is happening is when trying to find the article on
> 'Photophobia' on wikipedia (I can't post a link as I can't even get to the
> website, Search 'photophobia' in google and click the wiki link and then i
> get the error messages, it also happens when I go en.wikipedia.org and try to
> search for the article there)
>
> Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photophobia

(BING search for
Photophobia site:wikipedia.org
)

NTF (with IE8 on XPsp3). ; )

Robert
---

aradia

Re: IE8 and MIME
I have tried all three of these solution and to no avail.

I am now in a situation where no page at all opens (any link including
www.google.com) - I get the message "Internet Explorer could not open the
page"

I tried uninstalling IE8 back to IE7 but this new problem persists...