Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3. I
have been hesitant to update to IE8 after having a Problem with IE7 when it
first came out, and having to go back to IE6 per MS support suggestion. At
that time, they recommended waiting for the next release. I installed
Windows XP SP3 back on 5/20/08 while still using IE6. I want to make sure if
I go for IE8, I will be able to delete it via the Add/Remove method, and
have it go back to IE6 without a problem. When I look at Add/Remove now, IE6
is not listed as a separate entry, as I thought it would be. Internet
Explorer is shown by viewing the Add/Remove Windows Components, but it does
not say it is IE6. (The release level is not shown). Would this be a problem
getting back to IE6 by just deleting IE8 if I can't get it to work? It
scares me to read all the problems people are having with IE8 on this forum.
This is why I am proceeding with caution. Thanks for any advice you can give
me. Charles Ranheim.


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-18-2009
John Waller
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

>>It scares me to read all the problems people are having with IE8 on this
>>forum


There are plenty of issues and bugs with IE6 too. It's no safe haven - just
familiar to you.

You'll have a skewed view of any software by just relying on the forums
where problems (and solutions) comprise the majority of posts.

For all the posts here of issues with IE8, there are millions around the
world using it happily without issues (including me so far).

--
Regards

John Waller

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
> ...I want to make sure if
> I go for IE8, I will be able to delete it via the Add/Remove method, and
> have it go back to IE6 without a problem.


How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

> ...When I look at Add/Remove now, IE6
> is not listed as a separate entry, as I thought it would be


You cannot uninstall IE6 in WinXP SP3.

> IE is shown by viewing the Add/Remove Windows Components, but it does
> not say it is IE6.


You can disable access to IE there but doing so will not remove/uninstall
IE.

> ...Would this be a problem
> getting back to IE6 by just deleting IE8 if I can't get it to work?


You would UNINSTALL (not delete) IE8. See above.

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

Should you need it, no-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation,
set-up and usage (only) is available via the phone based on your locale
through 31 December 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows
Vista in a non-domain environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


cranheim wrote:
> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3.
> I
> have been hesitant to update to IE8 after having a Problem with IE7 when
> it
> first came out, and having to go back to IE6 per MS support suggestion. At
> that time, they recommended waiting for the next release. I installed
> Windows XP SP3 back on 5/20/08 while still using IE6. I want to make sure
> if
> I go for IE8, I will be able to delete it via the Add/Remove method, and
> have it go back to IE6 without a problem. When I look at Add/Remove now,
> IE6
> is not listed as a separate entry, as I thought it would be. Internet
> Explorer is shown by viewing the Add/Remove Windows Components, but it
> does
> not say it is IE6. (The release level is not shown). Would this be a
> problem
> getting back to IE6 by just deleting IE8 if I can't get it to work? It
> scares me to read all the problems people are having with IE8 on this
> forum.
> This is why I am proceeding with caution. Thanks for any advice you can
> give
> me. Charles Ranheim.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
John,

Thanks for your response. I try to be very careful when it comes to
making changes to my only working PC I really need every day. I have been
burned enough times to know it is worth the extra time to look at all
possibilities. If IE goes down, I won't even be able to get on the internet
to seek help. I worked for IBM as a Tech Support Spe******t in large systems
for 40 years. I learned how important it was to understand all potential
problems before making any changes. If that is being "Skewed", I plead
guilty. If I had a backup PC I would go for it in a heartbeat.
Do you know if there is a published list of common programs (Like McAfee
Virus Scan) that will not support IE8? I recently installed Acronis Backup
and have made complete system archives out on an external HD. Hopefully, if
all else fails, I will be able to restore my system with that. I appreciate
your comments. Charles Ranheim


"John Waller" <johnw@REMOVETHISpinnacleweb.com.au> wrote in message
news:63897B9F-326C-43AF-9C0F-9A369BC4E760@microsoft.com...
> How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
>>>It scares me to read all the problems people are having with IE8 on this
>>>forum

>
> There are plenty of issues and bugs with IE6 too. It's no safe haven -
> just familiar to you.
>
> You'll have a skewed view of any software by just relying on the forums
> where problems (and solutions) comprise the majority of posts.
>
> For all the posts here of issues with IE8, there are millions around the
> world using it happily without issues (including me so far).
>
> --
> Regards
>
> John Waller



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
vanilla
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
You mentioned that Windows Components shows the Internet Explorer entry, but
not 'release level' / version. I have not run XP in years ... am running
Vista Home Premium on this computer ... but you might be able to right click
the header bar in Windows Components and add the Version column ... scroll
down to Version and checkmark it to add it to your info column headers. This
may or may not give you the version of Internet Explorer installed on your
system.

I just tried it on my system ... it is a little different for me ... this
computer came with IE7 and I upgraded to IE8 about four months ago. IE8
shows up as an installed update in Programs and Features (the Add / Remove
Programs control panel in Vista). I was able to add the version column in
the regular list of installed programs and also in the installed updates.
When I added the version column in installed updates, it did not show the
exact version of IE8 I am running.

Try adding the version header column in Add / Remove Programs and Windows
Components and see if you can get any clues. It is probable that, if you
find that you need to uninstall IE8, you will revert to your previous
installation, but I certainly do not know that for a fact. I understand your
trepidation and wish you well, whatever you decide to do. If you do it, let
us know how it went .... vanilla


"cranheim" <caranheim@sbcglobal.net.net> wrote in message
news:OXHH3b$BKHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3.
> I have been hesitant to update to IE8 after having a Problem with IE7 when
> it first came out, and having to go back to IE6 per MS support suggestion.
> At that time, they recommended waiting for the next release. I installed
> Windows XP SP3 back on 5/20/08 while still using IE6. I want to make sure
> if I go for IE8, I will be able to delete it via the Add/Remove method,
> and have it go back to IE6 without a problem. When I look at Add/Remove
> now, IE6 is not listed as a separate entry, as I thought it would be.
> Internet Explorer is shown by viewing the Add/Remove Windows Components,
> but it does not say it is IE6. (The release level is not shown). Would
> this be a problem getting back to IE6 by just deleting IE8 if I can't get
> it to work? It scares me to read all the problems people are having with
> IE8 on this forum. This is why I am proceeding with caution. Thanks for
> any advice you can give me. Charles Ranheim.
>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
C A Upsdell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
cranheim wrote:
> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3. I
> have been hesitant to update to IE8 ...


At the risk of being flamed: I think that you should consider going to
IE7 first, before going to IE8. The reason for this is that my
experience has been that newer application software -- whether browsers,
word processors, or whatever -- tend to be less tolerant of O/S
problems, driver problems, and the like, which means that installing the
newer software can exacerbate problems which are minor or hidden. Going
to IE7 as a first step will reduce the risk of this, and it will make it
easier for you to fix problems before taking the greater step of taking
the next step, to IE8.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
vanilla
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
No flame at all ... you make a good point ... but I think he wants to be
able to go back to IE6 if IE8 does not work out. Don't know if he could get
back to 6 if he did 7 as an intermediary step ... just a thought ...
vanilla


"C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
news:#DweCDCCKHA.4608@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> cranheim wrote:
>> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3.
>> I have been hesitant to update to IE8 ...

>
> At the risk of being flamed: I think that you should consider going to
> IE7 first, before going to IE8. The reason for this is that my experience
> has been that newer application software -- whether browsers, word
> processors, or whatever -- tend to be less tolerant of O/S problems,
> driver problems, and the like, which means that installing the newer
> software can exacerbate problems which are minor or hidden. Going to IE7
> as a first step will reduce the risk of this, and it will make it easier
> for you to fix problems before taking the greater step of taking the next
> step, to IE8.


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
I would think stepping through IE7 to get to IE8 from IE6 would only
increase problem resolution. There might even be problems with IE7 that are
resolved in IE8. Vanilla also made a good point about backing down from IE8
through IE7 to get back to IE6 would only add to exposure to more problems.
Thanks for all your responses. Charles Ranheim

"vanilla" <vanilla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B611EB86-F3ED-49EC-A85F-F23E9FCE6681@microsoft.com...
> No flame at all ... you make a good point ... but I think he wants to be
> able to go back to IE6 if IE8 does not work out. Don't know if he could
> get back to 6 if he did 7 as an intermediary step ... just a thought ...
> vanilla
>
>
> "C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com"> wrote in message
> news:#DweCDCCKHA.4608@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6,
>>> SP3. I have been hesitant to update to IE8 ...

>>
>> At the risk of being flamed: I think that you should consider going to
>> IE7 first, before going to IE8. The reason for this is that my
>> experience has been that newer application software -- whether browsers,
>> word processors, or whatever -- tend to be less tolerant of O/S problems,
>> driver problems, and the like, which means that installing the newer
>> software can exacerbate problems which are minor or hidden. Going to IE7
>> as a first step will reduce the risk of this, and it will make it easier
>> for you to fix problems before taking the greater step of taking the next
>> step, to IE8.

>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk
C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com wrote:
> cranheim wrote:
>> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6, SP3.
>> I
>> have been hesitant to update to IE8 ...

>
> At the risk of being flamed: I think that you should consider going to
> IE7 first, before going to IE8. The reason for this is that my
> experience has been that newer application software -- whether browsers,
> word processors, or whatever -- tend to be less tolerant of O/S
> problems, driver problems, and the like, which means that installing the
> newer software can exacerbate problems which are minor or hidden. Going
> to IE7 as a first step will reduce the risk of this, and it will make it
> easier for you to fix problems before taking the greater step of taking
> the next step, to IE8.


Seconded. If you dislike IE7, you'll abhor IE8.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-19-2009
cranheim
 

Posts: n/a
Re: IE 6 to IE 8 Update Risk

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23kw4maICKHA.4376@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>C A Upsdell" <""cupsdell\"@nospam@upsdell.com wrote:
>> cranheim wrote:
>>> I am presently running Windows XP Home Edition, SP3. I also use IE6,
>>> SP3.
>>> I
>>> have been hesitant to update to IE8 ...

>>
>> At the risk of being flamed: I think that you should consider going to
>> IE7 first, before going to IE8. The reason for this is that my
>> experience has been that newer application software -- whether browsers,
>> word processors, or whatever -- tend to be less tolerant of O/S
>> problems, driver problems, and the like, which means that installing the
>> newer software can exacerbate problems which are minor or hidden. Going
>> to IE7 as a first step will reduce the risk of this, and it will make it
>> easier for you to fix problems before taking the greater step of taking
>> the next step, to IE8.

>
> Seconded. If you dislike IE7, you'll abhor IE8.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>


I had no problems with the features of IE7. It was the slowdowns and hangs
that gave me reason to go back to IE6. Are you suggesting IE8 will have the
same issues? That would be a real bummer. I would like to think something
has improved in the area of stability. Has anyone reading this thread gone
from IE6 to IE8? I sure would like to hear the results of that update.
By the way, is there a reason to install IE8 via a stand-alone download
rather than letting the normal MS Update do it? Just wondering.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Risk of Knowing Too Much About Risk Paul Security News 0 03-06-2008 14:00
Update: Buggy game DRM puts Windows users at risk Steve Security News 0 11-08-2007 05:10
Off the wire: The risk of too much risk management Steve Security News 0 10-26-2007 18:50
Is the US at risk from cyberwarfare? Paul Security News 0 09-20-2007 18:30
Read At Your Own Risk? vanilla microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 04-10-2007 20:24




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120