How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree

Chris Helps

How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
Hi

When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears with
every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This is extremely
annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties operation very slow
(as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but since I have hundred of folders
in Favorites, with some very deep path, I have to scroll down for hundred and
hundreds of lines trying to find the particular folder that I want.

Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to manually
close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the hopes of reducing
the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find the folder I wanted
without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I recall that IE7 had the same
problem, and the "feature" couldn't be turned off, and I dumped it as a
result and went back to IE6. Unfortunately many websites now have problems
with IE6, as it's considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS fixed this for
IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of folders, and is
thus incovenienced by this.

(1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
automatically, expandable?
(2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this limitation?
(3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?

Thanks,
Chris

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
WYSIWYG in IE7 and IE8.

Chris Helps wrote:
> When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears with
> every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This is
> extremely annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties
> operation very slow (as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but since I
> have hundred of folders in Favorites, with some very deep path, I have to
> scroll down for hundred and hundreds of lines trying to find the
> particular
> folder that I want.
>
> Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to
> manually
> close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the hopes of
> reducing the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find the folder I
> wanted without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I recall that IE7
> had
> the same problem, and the "feature" couldn't be turned off, and I dumped
> it
> as a result and went back to IE6. Unfortunately many websites now have
> problems with IE6, as it's considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS fixed
> this for IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of
> folders,
> and is thus incovenienced by this.
>
> (1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
> automatically, expandable?
> (2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this limitation?
> (3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
> user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris Helps

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites T
So no way to change it? What about addons?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WYSIWYG in IE7 and IE8.
>

> Chris Helps wrote:
> > When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears with
> > every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This is
> > extremely annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties
> > operation very slow (as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but since I
> > have hundred of folders in Favorites, with some very deep path, I have to
> > scroll down for hundred and hundreds of lines trying to find the
> > particular
> > folder that I want.
> >
> > Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to
> > manually
> > close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the hopes of
> > reducing the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find the folder I
> > wanted without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I recall that IE7
> > had
> > the same problem, and the "feature" couldn't be turned off, and I dumped
> > it
> > as a result and went back to IE6. Unfortunately many websites now have
> > problems with IE6, as it's considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS fixed
> > this for IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of
> > folders,
> > and is thus incovenienced by this.
> >
> > (1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
> > automatically, expandable?
> > (2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this limitation?
> > (3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
> > user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites T
Nope.

Chris Helps wrote:
> So no way to change it? What about addons?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> WYSIWYG in IE7 and IE8.
>>

>> Chris Helps wrote:
>>> When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears
>>> with
>>> every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This is
>>> extremely annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties
>>> operation very slow (as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but since
>>> have hundred of folders in Favorites, with some very deep path, I have
>>> scroll down for hundred and hundreds of lines trying to find the
>>> particular
>>> folder that I want.
>>>
>>> Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to
>>> manually
>>> close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the hopes of
>>> reducing the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find the folder I
>>> wanted without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I recall that IE7
>>> had
>>> the same problem, and the "feature" couldn't be turned off, and I dumped
>>> it
>>> as a result and went back to IE6. Unfortunately many websites now have
>>> problems with IE6, as it's considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS
>>> fixed
>>> this for IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of
>>> folders,
>>> and is thus incovenienced by this.
>>>
>>> (1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
>>> automatically, expandable?
>>> (2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this
>>> limitation?
>>> (3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
>>> user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris

Al and Darlene

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
In both IE versions using "Add to Favorites"(my experience) brings up a
small dialogue box with options to accept or change the web page title, a
drop-down option to select the location from current listing or create a new
folder.

Have never had complete listing displayed.

vanilla

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
I have the same problem as Chris ... when I click on the drop down box to
scroll down to the folder I wish to select, they are ALL EXPANDED ...
scroll, scroll, scroll ... ugh. This did not happen until I reached a
certain number of folders, I think. Or maybe it is something that just
started happening in the last two months (only upgraded to IE8 four months
ago.)

Glad you do not have this problem ... (yet) ... (g) ... vanilla

"Al and Darlene" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> In both IE versions using "Add to Favorites"(my experience) brings up a
> small dialogue box with options to accept or change the web page title, a
> drop-down option to select the location from current listing or create a
> new folder.
>
> Have never had complete listing displayed.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Chris Helps" <ChrisHelps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5AD084F-1428-4659-A8EB-F20D5A509B6C@microsoft.com...
> So no way to change it? What about addons?

You can use different procedures to exploit it or avoid it.
E.g. having the full list of folders open means that you can navigate
to the chosen one using first or first and second letter typing.
This is most useful when the order of folders is not alphabetical.

Alternatively, you can still do what we have always been able to do
and that is drag links to either the Favorites bar (which *can* be
listed unexpanded) or to an Explorer window already open at the
correct subdirectory (and, again, you would also have the option
there too of dragging to an unexpanded nest of folders and pausing
to let it open if you preferred doing that instead.)

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> WYSIWYG in IE7 and IE8.
>>

>> Chris Helps wrote:
>> > When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears with
>> > every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This is
>> > extremely annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties
>> > operation very slow (as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but since I
>> > have hundred of folders in Favorites, with some very deep path, I have to
>> > scroll down for hundred and hundreds of lines trying to find the
>> > particular
>> > folder that I want.
>> >
>> > Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to
>> > manually
>> > close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the hopes of
>> > reducing the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find the folder I
>> > wanted without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I recall that IE7
>> > had
>> > the same problem, and the "feature" couldn't be turned off, and I dumped
>> > it
>> > as a result and went back to IE6. Unfortunately many websites now have
>> > problems with IE6, as it's considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS fixed
>> > this for IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of
>> > folders,
>> > and is thus incovenienced by this.
>> >
>> > (1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
>> > automatically, expandable?
>> > (2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this limitation?
>> > (3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
>> > user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Chris

Daniel Crichton

Chris wrote on Sat, 18 Jul 2009 13:35:01 -0700:

> Hi

> When I try to add webpage to Favorites, the Add Favorites box appears
> with every single folder path in Favorites expanded all the way. This
> is extremely annoying, since not only does this make the Add Favoties
> operation very slow (as I'm forced to wait on the expanding), but
> since I have hundred of folders in Favorites, with some very deep
> path, I have to scroll down for hundred and hundreds of lines trying
> to find the particular folder that I want.

> Not only does the list deafult to expanded, but there is no way to
> manually close any of the branches in the menu, which I tried in the
> hopes of reducing the insane amount of clutter, so that I could find
> the folder I wanted without wading through hundreds that I didn't. I
> recall that IE7 had the same problem, and the "feature" couldn't be
> turned off, and I dumped it as a result and went back to IE6.
> Unfortunately many websites now have problems with IE6, as it's
> considered too "old". I'm hoping that MS fixed this for
> IE8. I can't believe I'm the only person who uses lots of folders, and
> is thus incovenienced by this.

> (1) Does IE8 have any setting to make this menu manually, instead of
> automatically, expandable?
> (2) Alternatively, are there any addons for IE8 which fix this
> limitation?
> (3) If not, are there other browsers (Firefox, etc) which have a more
> user-friendly, less cluttered method of adding bookmarks?

> Thanks,
> Chris

Instead of using the menu, or the right click option, click the Favorites
button (the yellow star) and then the Add to Favorites at the top - this
doesn't open all branches, only the ones open the last time you viewed are
still open, and you open/close as needed to navigate to where you want to
add the link.

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
Ignore my other reply - I was sure this worked a couple of weeks ago, but it
appears not.

--
Dan

Re: How do I Stop Add Favorites from Auto-Expanding my Favorites Tree
Or you can simply pin Favorites Center open & then drag the link's icon in
Address Bar to the appropriate location/folder in Favorites.