Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...

LLB

Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
My Favorites list is in alphabetical order, ascending from top to bottom, as
it should be. However, now when I select "add to favorites" and open the
drop-down list to select the file I want to add the favorite to, the list
sorts alphabetically from the bottom to the top.

Just to clarify, my Favorites list is in top-to-bottom alpha order. I get an
upside-down list only when I am =adding= a favorite. So now, I not only have
that awkward expanded list to add to, it is alpha from bottom to top to boot!

Any ideas as to how this happened, and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Is this a sudden, new problem?

If WinXP, did you just install IE7?

LLB wrote:
> My Favorites list is in alphabetical order, ascending from top to bottom,
> as
> it should be. However, now when I select "add to favorites" and open the
> drop-down list to select the file I want to add the favorite to, the list
> sorts alphabetically from the bottom to the top.
>
> Just to clarify, my Favorites list is in top-to-bottom alpha order. I get
> an
> upside-down list only when I am =adding= a favorite. So now, I not only
> have
> that awkward expanded list to add to, it is alpha from bottom to top to
> boot!
>
> Any ideas as to how this happened, and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks.

LLB

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Hello,

Yes, it's a new problem in the last couple of days. I'm on a laptop that I
haven't used much until recently and just upgraded IE from version 6 to
version 7 shortly before this happened.

I have Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service Pack 3. (I had replied
to myself with the info, but for some reason it didn't appear...my apologies).

Thanks very much for any ideas you may have...

Laurie (LLB)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>

> If WinXP, did you just install IE7?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> LLB wrote:
> > My Favorites list is in alphabetical order, ascending from top to bottom,
> > as
> > it should be. However, now when I select "add to favorites" and open the
> > drop-down list to select the file I want to add the favorite to, the list
> > sorts alphabetically from the bottom to the top.
> >
> > Just to clarify, my Favorites list is in top-to-bottom alpha order. I get
> > an
> > upside-down list only when I am =adding= a favorite. So now, I not only
> > have
> > that awkward expanded list to add to, it is alpha from bottom to top to
> > boot!
> >
> > Any ideas as to how this happened, and how to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks.

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
So this behavior only started after you'd installed IE7, correct? And it is
IE7, not IE8, correct?

May I assume you've had SP3 installed for a while now and that you didn't
install it /after/ you installed IE7?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE7?
--
~PA Bear

LLB wrote:
> Yes, it's a new problem in the last couple of days. I'm on a laptop that I
> haven't used much until recently and just upgraded IE from version 6 to
> version 7 shortly before this happened.
>
> I have Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service Pack 3. (I had
> replied
> to myself with the info, but for some reason it didn't appear...my
> apologies).
>
> Thanks very much for any ideas you may have...
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>>
>> If WinXP, did you just install IE7?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> LLB wrote:
>>> My Favorites list is in alphabetical order, ascending from top to
>>> bottom,
>>> as
>>> it should be. However, now when I select "add to favorites" and open the
>>> drop-down list to select the file I want to add the favorite to, the
>>> list
>>> sorts alphabetically from the bottom to the top.
>>>
>>> Just to clarify, my Favorites list is in top-to-bottom alpha order. I
>>> get
>>> an
>>> upside-down list only when I am =adding= a favorite. So now, I not only
>>> have
>>> that awkward expanded list to add to, it is alpha from bottom to top to
>>> boot!
>>>
>>> Any ideas as to how this happened, and how to fix it?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

LLB

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Hello PA Bear,

Here are my answers as I remember. I hadn't used this laptop in over a year
so I was loading various programs and Windows was updating itself
extensively, but I do have the order of the IE and the Windows SP 3
updates--I checked my Windows Update history for those. I do know for
certain, however, that I installed my antivirus software first.

First--The antivirus program I installed was TREND MICRO INTERNET SECURITY
2007.
Second--on 7/4--IE 6 cumulative security update.
Third--7/5--IE 6 Security update.
FYI--here Windows Update wanted to install IE 8, and I prevented it (my
desktop crashed after I installed IE 8, the reason I am on the laptop)
Fourth--7/5--SP3
Fifth--7/5--IE 7

I use the Trend Micro firewall. There was a high liklihood it was running
when I installed IE 7, =unless the installation program specifically said to
turn off the antivirus program,= after which I would have done so. One
program did--I don't remember which one.

Trend Micro is continuously updated--my subscription is current.

As far as I know I never had a Norton Trial offer on this laptop, but since
it was so long ago when I purchased it (probably 2003) I can't remember for
sure. I do know I would have deleted it.

I also added Advanced System Care 3 and Winutilities at some point, but I
don't know if I had done this before I updated to IE 7. Advanced System Care
3 does run in the system tray.

I don't know if I've helped myself with this information or not. :-)

Thank you,
Laurie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> So this behavior only started after you'd installed IE7, correct? And it is
> IE7, not IE8, correct?
>
> May I assume you've had SP3 installed for a while now and that you didn't
> install it /after/ you installed IE7?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE7?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> LLB wrote:
> > Yes, it's a new problem in the last couple of days. I'm on a laptop that I
> > haven't used much until recently and just upgraded IE from version 6 to
> > version 7 shortly before this happened.
> >
> > I have Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service Pack 3. (I had
> > replied
> > to myself with the info, but for some reason it didn't appear...my
> > apologies).
> >
> > Thanks very much for any ideas you may have...
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> Is this a sudden, new problem?
> >>
> >> If WinXP, did you just install IE7?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Thanks, the info you provided was very helpful, Laurie! Please read my
entire post before taking any actions.

Before proceeding below, open Favorites Center | Right-click on any entry |
Select "Sort by name" then close Favorites Center. Now test "Add to
Favorites" functionality (ALT+D).

If the Add to Favorites dropdown list is now sorted alphabetically from top
to bottom, STOP HERE!! Only do Steps #2a and #2b below and then reply to
this post.

But if you're still seeing what you saw before (i.e., Add to Favorites
dropdown list is sorted alphabetically from bottom to top), proceed as
follows...

***You will want to print these instructions for offline reference***

1. If you've not done so already, download the IE7 installer & SAVE it to
your desktop:

2a. Uninstall Advanced System Care 3 and Winutilities via Add/Remove
Programs.

2b. If you ever again think your Registry needs to be "cleaned" or
"repaired," read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own
conclusions. (Tip: The answer is NO!)

3a. Disable Trend Micro's anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall components
then IMMEDIATELY enable the Windows Firewall (Start | Settings | Control
Panel | Windows Firewall).

3b. Uninstall "Windows Internet Explorer 7" via Add/Remove programs & reboot
twice. (It's perfectly safe to ignore any "Such and such may not work
if..." warnings.)

4. Now test "Add to Favorites" functionality in IE6. If the Add to
Favorites dropdown list still is NOT sorted alphabetically from top to
bottom, STOP HERE!! and reply to this post. Otherwise, proceed to the next
Steps.

5. Repeat all of Step #3a above.

6. Double-click on the IE7 installer (Step #1 above) to reinstall IE7 &
reboot twice.

7. Confirm that all Trend Micro components are running and that the Windows
Firewall is *disabled*.

8. Now check-in at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Select the CUSTOM
option & scan. Install any critical security updates offered (e.g.,
KB969897). If the Optional Updates category offers Root Certificates
update, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IMPORTANT! If IE8 is offered, do NOT install it! Uncheck it instead then
"hide" it ("Don't show me this update again").

9. Confirm that the Add to Favorites dropdown list is now sorted

LLB wrote:
> Here are my answers as I remember. I hadn't used this laptop in over a
> year
> so I was loading various programs and Windows was updating itself
> extensively, but I do have the order of the IE and the Windows SP 3
> updates--I checked my Windows Update history for those. I do know for
> certain, however, that I installed my antivirus software first.
>
> First--The antivirus program I installed was TREND MICRO INTERNET SECURITY
> 2007.
> Second--on 7/4--IE 6 cumulative security update.
> Third--7/5--IE 6 Security update.
> FYI--here Windows Update wanted to install IE 8, and I prevented it (my
> desktop crashed after I installed IE 8, the reason I am on the laptop)
> Fourth--7/5--SP3
> Fifth--7/5--IE 7
>
> I use the Trend Micro firewall. There was a high liklihood it was running
> when I installed IE 7, =unless the installation program specifically said
> turn off the antivirus program,= after which I would have done so. One
> program did--I don't remember which one.
>
> Trend Micro is continuously updated--my subscription is current.
>
> As far as I know I never had a Norton Trial offer on this laptop, but
> since
> it was so long ago when I purchased it (probably 2003) I can't remember
> for
> sure. I do know I would have deleted it.
>
> I also added Advanced System Care 3 and Winutilities at some point, but I
> don't know if I had done this before I updated to IE 7. Advanced System
> Care
> 3 does run in the system tray.
>
> I don't know if I've helped myself with this information or not. :-)
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> So this behavior only started after you'd installed IE7, correct? And it
>> is IE7, not IE8, correct?
>>
>> May I assume you've had SP3 installed for a while now and that you didn't
>> install it /after/ you installed IE7?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE7?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE7?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>

>> LLB wrote:
>>> Yes, it's a new problem in the last couple of days. I'm on a laptop that
>>> haven't used much until recently and just upgraded IE from version 6 to
>>> version 7 shortly before this happened.
>>>
>>> I have Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service Pack 3. (I had
>>> replied
>>> to myself with the info, but for some reason it didn't appear...my
>>> apologies).
>>>
>>> Thanks very much for any ideas you may have...

LLB

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Hello--Here is my report!

I learned that the problem appears to be with the IE 7 install, plus I
generated an error or two...here are the details:

The first time I performed the process and rolled back to IE 6, IE 6 was
fine--the Add Favorites list was in the correct order. However, once I added
IE 7, the same problem occurred with the Add Favorites list being in reverse
alpha order. So, good news and bad news.

The errors: The first time I ran Windows Update after IE 7 installation,
once the updates were installed, there was an error saying that RUNDLL could
not be installed or was missing (I apologize, I did not write down the exact
wording).

I then proceeded to uninstall IE 7 and reinstall it twice more. I followed
directions, but once I forgot to disengage Trend Micro before uninstalling (I
always did before installing). Anyway, now every time Windows loads I get an
error that says:

Header: __AppName
Message: Missing file

IE 7 continued to show my Add Favorites list upside down.

Sounds like I need to use System Restore? Or is there something else I can
try?

Thanks for all of your help,

Laurie

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >> is IE7, not IE8, correct?
> >>
> >> May I assume you've had SP3 installed for a while now and that you didn't
> >> install it /after/ you installed IE7?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE7?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have
> >> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE7?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
I'd very much doubt you'd be able to find an available Restore Point which
predates the problem (i.e., one which predates your injudicious use of
Advanced System Care 3 and Winutilities, neither of which should be
installed anymore). And I suspect that you'd see the same behavior if you
installed IE8 (per my previous instructions & after uninstalling IE7 again)
but you might give it a shot.

I suspect the only way you'll get this straightened out would be to backup
your personal data, format your hard-drive and then do a clean install of
WinXP. I can give you some pointers if you want to do this.

NB: A Repair Install will not work and should not be attempted.

In short, if you can live with the reverse ordering in Add to Favorites
dropdown menu, do so, otherwise you're looking at several hours worth of
work.

LLB wrote:
> [...]
>>> running
>>> when I installed IE 7, =unless the installation program specifically
>>> said
>>> turn off the antivirus program,= after which I would have done so. One
>>> program did--I don't remember which one.
>>>
>>> Trend Micro is continuously updated--my subscription is current.
>>>
>>> As far as I know I never had a Norton Trial offer on this laptop, but
>>> since
>>> it was so long ago when I purchased it (probably 2003) I can't remember
>>> for
>>> sure. I do know I would have deleted it.
>>>
>>> I also added Advanced System Care 3 and Winutilities at some point, but
>>> don't know if I had done this before I updated to IE 7. Advanced System
>>> Care
>>> 3 does run in the system tray.
>>>
>>> I don't know if I've helped myself with this information or not. :-)

LLB

Re: Add Favorites drop down list now sorts upside-down in IE7...
Well, thank you for all your work to help me. Just in case it matters, I
never ran Winutilities, and I reversed what Advanced System Care 3 had done
(used once). Do you mean that the programs themselves could cause
corruption, or just that they can do bad things to the registry when used?

One more thing, If I can ask here--what seems to be the problem(s) with IE8,
as you recommended initially that I not install it? (Having said that, my
desktop did crash after I installed it there--it won't boot now).

Laurie