From IE8 to IE7 no go

Ray

From IE8 to IE7 no go
WindowsXP Pro Sp3

When using IE7 I had no problems at all. After installing IE8 several things
have gone wrong. I cannot download from anywhere, cannot delete junk mail
through my browser, the browser has no menu bar and clicking the blank space
does not do anything. I uninstalled IE8 through Add/Remove and got
confirmation that it was uninstalled. I downloaded IE7 and after a very
lengthy install process it said the install was complete but Explorer does not
open. Restoring to an earlied date does not help. I would much rather have
IE7 but I am no technician and am not able to get it to run. Is there
anything I can do to get back to IE7?

Ray

Re: From IE8 to IE7 no go
[Crosspost to OE General]

Please stop beginning new threads and stick with your original one (where
you told us much more than you
did in your newer ones):
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a556de7c2cbf95

All of your threads:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...4RTU&scoring=d

Including this one in OE General where you reveal that you've been using
Registry cleaners:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...08e8b4?hl=en&q

Ray wrote:
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> When using IE7 I had no problems at all. After installing IE8 several
> things have gone wrong. I cannot download from anywhere, cannot delete
> junk mail through my browser, the browser has no menu bar and clicking the
> blank space does not do anything. I uninstalled IE8 through Add/Remove
> and
> got confirmation that it was uninstalled. I downloaded IE7 and after a
> very
> lengthy install process it said the install was complete but Explorer does
> not open. Restoring to an earlied date does not help. I would much
> rather
> have IE7 but I am no technician and am not able to get it to run. Is
> there
> anything I can do to get back to IE7?
>
> Ray

Ray

Re: From IE8 to IE7 no go
Sorry if I broke protocol here. I assumed the general category was most
appropriate for my problem , i.e. "Internet Explorer General" since my problem
is with Internet Explorer. If I cross posted I apologize. If I knew what I
was doing I wouldn't be posting here. I'm sorry I'm not knowledgeable enough
to solve my own problem. All I wanted to do was get back to IE7 where I was
very satisfied. I cannot do it on my own so thought I would get help from the
experts. I have followed the information on all responses so far but none
have helped my situation.

> [Crosspost to OE General]
>
> Please stop beginning new threads and stick with your original one (where
> you told us much more than you
> did in your newer ones):
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a556de7c2cbf95
>
> All of your threads:
> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...4RTU&scoring=d
>
> Including this one in OE General where you reveal that you've been using
> Registry cleaners:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...08e8b4?hl=en&q
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Ray wrote:
>> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>>
>> When using IE7 I had no problems at all. After installing IE8 several
>> things have gone wrong. I cannot download from anywhere, cannot delete
>> junk mail through my browser, the browser has no menu bar and clicking the
>> blank space does not do anything. I uninstalled IE8 through Add/Remove
>> and
>> got confirmation that it was uninstalled. I downloaded IE7 and after a
>> very
>> lengthy install process it said the install was complete but Explorer does
>> not open. Restoring to an earlied date does not help. I would much
>> rather
>> have IE7 but I am no technician and am not able to get it to run. Is
>> there
>> anything I can do to get back to IE7?
>>
>> Ray

Re: From IE8 to IE7 no go
> ...All I wanted to do was get
> back to IE7 where I was very satisfied.

At this point, your only hope is as follows:

Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

Tip #1: Avoid using Registry cleaners.

Tip #2: Disable all real-time protections prior to (a) installing a Windows
Service Pack and (b) prior to installing or uninstalling an IE upgrade.

Tip #3: NEVER use System Restore to "undo" (a) an IE upgrade, (b) a Windows
Service Pack, (c) a Windows Update, or (d) the installation of any other
application.

Ray wrote:
> Sorry if I broke protocol here. I assumed the general category was most
> appropriate for my problem , i.e. "Internet Explorer General" since my
> problem is with Internet Explorer. If I cross posted I apologize. If I
> knew what I was doing I wouldn't be posting here. I'm sorry I'm not
> knowledgeable enough to solve my own problem. All I wanted to do was get
> back to IE7 where I was very satisfied. I cannot do it on my own so
> thought I would get help from the experts. I have followed the
> information
> on all responses so far but none have helped my situation.

>> [Crosspost to OE General]
>>
>> Please stop beginning new threads and stick with your original one (where
>> you told us much more than you
>> did in your newer ones):
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a556de7c2cbf95
>>
>> All of your threads:
>> http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...4RTU&scoring=d
>>
>> Including this one in OE General where you reveal that you've been using
>> Registry cleaners:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...08e8b4?hl=en&q
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Ray wrote:
>>> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>>>
>>> When using IE7 I had no problems at all. After installing IE8 several
>>> things have gone wrong. I cannot download from anywhere, cannot delete
>>> junk mail through my browser, the browser has no menu bar and clicking
>>> the
>>> blank space does not do anything. I uninstalled IE8 through Add/Remove
>>> and
>>> got confirmation that it was uninstalled. I downloaded IE7 and after a
>>> very
>>> lengthy install process it said the install was complete but Explorer
>>> does
>>> not open. Restoring to an earlied date does not help. I would much
>>> rather
>>> have IE7 but I am no technician and am not able to get it to run. Is
>>> there
>>> anything I can do to get back to IE7?
>>>
>>> Ray

Bob B

Re: From IE8 to IE7 no go
All I did was go to add/rmove programme and uninstal internet explorer 8 and
it automatically reverts to internet explorer 7

BB

"Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message
> WindowsXP Pro Sp3
>
> When using IE7 I had no problems at all. After installing IE8 several
> things have gone wrong. I cannot download from anywhere, cannot delete
> junk mail through my browser, the browser has no menu bar and clicking the
> blank space does not do anything. I uninstalled IE8 through Add/Remove
> and got confirmation that it was uninstalled. I downloaded IE7 and after a
> very lengthy install process it said the install was complete but Explorer
> does not open. Restoring to an earlied date does not help. I would much
> rather have IE7 but I am no technician and am not able to get it to run.
> Is there anything I can do to get back to IE7?
>
> Ray

Ray

Re: From IE8 to IE7 no go
I was told that by another person but that didn't happen in my case.