Caching: The Ghost of the Internet

Bradlecat

Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
Any developer knows, caching can be a confusing hinderance of development.
I've often wondered how many times I've solved an issue, but was unaware
because the page cached and I had already moved on to the next hacky attempt
at a solution. As ubiquitous as caching is to the web, clearing of the cache
should be simpler and options/controls for the cache could be me robust for
every browser.

I can think of several ways to improve caching. It seems like it's always a
buried option that is always in a different place in the tools or
preferences, and has a different and obscure hot key, for every browser. In
Firefox, it's clumped in with a bunch of other "Private data", in IE it
involves clicking through and confirmation in several annoying windows. Even
the single window Firefox uses for confirmation is an annoyance to me. It
makes people feel like they are doing something "techy" which is scary to
them, when really there shouldn't be any risk to clearing a cache, and
therefore no need for any confirmation. Just DO it!

Seriously. Imagine as a developer, at the 11th hour of many projects, having
to diagnose cached items for why your clients are seeing funny stuff, asking
them what browser they are using, and going through the process of clearing
the cache on the phone. Then imagine this being true for just about anything
that goes wrong just because you need to rule that out.

An option to have a "clear cache" button right next to the reload button
would be awesome. How about an option to force every reload to clear cached
items for the current page. How about a check box that defeats all caching
without changing other caching options (in prefs would be cool but right on
the browser window would be cool too). There could be an indicator on the
browser window that shows weather or not there are any cached items on the
page. There could be a way to reveal what items are cached right on the page.

I believe caching is important enough to be it's own preference panel.
There, you could specify caching options for individual pages or domains,
like max/min file size, file types to cache, duration to keep files and max
cache size for each page/domain.

Is this crazy? I know it would save me TON time, trouble, and sanity.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
Have you ever seen?...

IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security | Empty Temporary Internet
Files folder when browser is closed

Bradlecat wrote:
> Any developer knows, caching can be a confusing hinderance of development.
> I've often wondered how many times I've solved an issue, but was unaware
> because the page cached and I had already moved on to the next hacky
> attempt
> at a solution. As ubiquitous as caching is to the web, clearing of the
> cache
> should be simpler and options/controls for the cache could be me robust
> for
> every browser.
>
> I can think of several ways to improve caching. It seems like it's always
> buried option that is always in a different place in the tools or
> preferences, and has a different and obscure hot key, for every browser.
> In
> Firefox, it's clumped in with a bunch of other "Private data", in IE it
> involves clicking through and confirmation in several annoying windows.
> Even
> the single window Firefox uses for confirmation is an annoyance to me. It
> makes people feel like they are doing something "techy" which is scary to
> them, when really there shouldn't be any risk to clearing a cache, and
> therefore no need for any confirmation. Just DO it!
>
> Seriously. Imagine as a developer, at the 11th hour of many projects,
> having
> to diagnose cached items for why your clients are seeing funny stuff,
> asking
> them what browser they are using, and going through the process of
> clearing
> the cache on the phone. Then imagine this being true for just about
> anything
> that goes wrong just because you need to rule that out.
>
> An option to have a "clear cache" button right next to the reload button
> would be awesome. How about an option to force every reload to clear
> cached
> items for the current page. How about a check box that defeats all caching
> without changing other caching options (in prefs would be cool but right
> on
> the browser window would be cool too). There could be an indicator on the
> browser window that shows weather or not there are any cached items on the
> page. There could be a way to reveal what items are cached right on the
> page.
>
> I believe caching is important enough to be it's own preference panel.
> There, you could specify caching options for individual pages or domains,
> like max/min file size, file types to cache, duration to keep files and
> max
> cache size for each page/domain.
>
> Is this crazy? I know it would save me TON time, trouble, and sanity.
>

> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
Hello,

You can prevent IE from caching pages by sending it special headers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234067

If you are using PHP, you can use PHP's session_cache_limiter('nocache')
http://php.net/manual/en/function.se...he-limiter.php

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Bradlecat" <Bradlecat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news64A184A-2982-48C8-B5CB-4A07DD4EB713@microsoft.com...
> Any developer knows, caching can be a confusing hinderance of development.
> I've often wondered how many times I've solved an issue, but was unaware
> because the page cached and I had already moved on to the next hacky
> attempt
> at a solution. As ubiquitous as caching is to the web, clearing of the
> cache
> should be simpler and options/controls for the cache could be me robust
> for
> every browser.
>
> I can think of several ways to improve caching. It seems like it's always
> buried option that is always in a different place in the tools or
> preferences, and has a different and obscure hot key, for every browser.
> In
> Firefox, it's clumped in with a bunch of other "Private data", in IE it
> involves clicking through and confirmation in several annoying windows.
> Even
> the single window Firefox uses for confirmation is an annoyance to me. It
> makes people feel like they are doing something "techy" which is scary to
> them, when really there shouldn't be any risk to clearing a cache, and
> therefore no need for any confirmation. Just DO it!
>
> Seriously. Imagine as a developer, at the 11th hour of many projects,
> having
> to diagnose cached items for why your clients are seeing funny stuff,
> asking
> them what browser they are using, and going through the process of
> clearing
> the cache on the phone. Then imagine this being true for just about
> anything
> that goes wrong just because you need to rule that out.
>
> An option to have a "clear cache" button right next to the reload button
> would be awesome. How about an option to force every reload to clear
> cached
> items for the current page. How about a check box that defeats all caching
> without changing other caching options (in prefs would be cool but right
> on
> the browser window would be cool too). There could be an indicator on the
> browser window that shows weather or not there are any cached items on the
> page. There could be a way to reveal what items are cached right on the
> page.
>
> I believe caching is important enough to be it's own preference panel.
> There, you could specify caching options for individual pages or domains,
> like max/min file size, file types to cache, duration to keep files and
> max
> cache size for each page/domain.
>
> Is this crazy? I know it would save me TON time, trouble, and sanity.
>

> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

G. R. Woodring

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
In both Firefox and IE8 the hotkeys to clear private data is Ctrl+Shft+Del. It
clears per your settings instantly in Firefox 2.x, you need to hit [Enter] in
Firefox 3x and In IE8 click [Delete]. If you are working on a project that
requires clearing the cache after each edit/reload, just set it to clear _only_
the cache while working then reset to your normal selections when done.

In IE8 you can put the "Delete Browsing History..." button on the "Command Bar"
toolbar. Can be done with extensions in Firefox.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 7/17/2009 2:06 PM, Author: Bradlecat Wrote:
> Any developer knows, caching can be a confusing hinderance of development.
> I've often wondered how many times I've solved an issue, but was unaware
> because the page cached and I had already moved on to the next hacky attempt
> at a solution.

< Snipped Rant >

> An option to have a "clear cache" button right next to the reload button
> would be awesome.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Opinicus

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:20:32 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you ever seen?...
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security | Empty Temporary Internet
> Files folder when browser is closed

Since moving on to IE8 I've been meaning to ask this question: What
does "Empty Temorary Internet Files" get rid of exactly?

This question needs asking because it seems that there's an awful lot
that *doesn't* get deleted. For example I just checked and before
emptying, my Content.IE5 folder contained 12,260,316 k. After
"emptying" there was still 4,771,528 k, of which 2,080,768 k consisted
of "index.dat", which also seems to contain a lot of information about
file names and their locations by the way. Looking at the dates on the
files in the ContentIE5, some of them are a week old and there are a
few 0 byte and other files three weeks old or more.

Why is there so much in IE8's cache that's not being cleared?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
Robert Aldwinckle

"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net.which.is.not.invalid> wrote in message news:htf2651m02iq1bd3o7k3h70mum39kpso94@4ax.com...

> What does "Empty Temorary Internet Files" get rid of exactly?

On which OS?

> Why is there so much in IE8's cache that's not being cleared?

How are you trying to clear it? The most complete way would
probably be to boot in Command mode, navigate to the appropriate
directory and use rd /s . on it.

Otherwise you probably need to consider what all is holding the TIF
open and close as many of those processes as practicable.
E.g. use Process Explorer for its Ctrl-F to see how many processes
might be interfering with a deletion request. Hint: just searching for
Content.IE5 gives a good start.

Also, in Vista there is a mysterious second TIF, so who knows if you
have to be in a particular mode to get both of them or if parts of each
show up when you ask to view "the TIF"?

Robert
---

<QP>
<PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> Have you ever seen?...
> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security | Empty Temporary Internet
> Files folder when browser is closed

Since moving on to IE8 I've been meaning to ask this question: What
does "Empty Temorary Internet Files" get rid of exactly?

This question needs asking because it seems that there's an awful lot
that *doesn't* get deleted. For example I just checked and before
emptying, my Content.IE5 folder contained 12,260,316 k. After
"emptying" there was still 4,771,528 k, of which 2,080,768 k consisted
of "index.dat", which also seems to contain a lot of information about
file names and their locations by the way. Looking at the dates on the
files in the ContentIE5, some of them are a week old and there are a
few 0 byte and other files three weeks old or more.

Why is there so much in IE8's cache that's not being cleared?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com
</QP>

G. R. Woodring

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
In the "Delete Browsing History dialog the topmost checkbox is "[X] Preserve
Favorites website data". If that is checked then the data for any sites in your
Favorites will be retained. You can trim your Favorites down to only those you
really need to retain data for.

Before trimming, use [file]>[Import and Export...] to export your Favorites to a
file. Open that file and add it to your Favorites. You'll then have access to
all of the pre-trimmed Favorites but those links won't be protected.

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 7/17/2009 11:32 PM, Author: Opinicus Wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:20:32 -0400, "PA Bear [MS MVP]"
> <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Have you ever seen?...
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Advanced | Security | Empty Temporary Internet
>> Files folder when browser is closed

> Since moving on to IE8 I've been meaning to ask this question: What
> does "Empty Temorary Internet Files" get rid of exactly?
>
> This question needs asking because it seems that there's an awful lot
> that *doesn't* get deleted. For example I just checked and before
> emptying, my Content.IE5 folder contained 12,260,316 k. After
> "emptying" there was still 4,771,528 k, of which 2,080,768 k consisted
> of "index.dat", which also seems to contain a lot of information about
> file names and their locations by the way. Looking at the dates on the
> files in the ContentIE5, some of them are a week old and there are a
> few 0 byte and other files three weeks old or more.
>
> Why is there so much in IE8's cache that's not being cleared?

Rick Hamilton

Re: Caching: The Ghost of the Internet
Dear PA Bear,

If one DOES click "Delete browsing history on exit", does IE8
pay particular attention to ONLY those of the 7 POSSIBLE checkboxes
which ARE checked under Tools/Internet Options/Delete/Browsing History/?

Thanks!

Rick

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > cached
> > items for the current page. How about a check box that defeats all caching
> > without changing other caching options (in prefs would be cool but right
> > on
> > the browser window would be cool too). There could be an indicator on the
> > browser window that shows weather or not there are any cached items on the
> > page. There could be a way to reveal what items are cached right on the
> > page.
> >
> > I believe caching is important enough to be it's own preference panel.
> > There, you could specify caching options for individual pages or domains,
> > like max/min file size, file types to cache, duration to keep files and
> > max
> > cache size for each page/domain.
> >
> > Is this crazy? I know it would save me TON time, trouble, and sanity.

VanguardLH

Rick Hamilton wrote:

> If one DOES click "Delete browsing history on exit", does IE8
> pay particular attention to ONLY those of the 7 POSSIBLE checkboxes
> which ARE checked under Tools/Internet Options/Delete/Browsing History/?

If a category is selected, it gets cleared on exit (if that option is also
enabled). If a category is not selected, it doesn't get cleared on exit;
however, other options might affect cleanup, like the duration you configure
to retain the history list. The exception is whether you have the Preserve
option enabled or not: if enabled, files for sites in your Favorites list
are exempt from the cleanup.