IE 8 installed, won't open

Mikey

IE 8 installed, won't open
This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
open IE 8 she gets the following message:

To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
program.

Name: IE
Publisher: Microsoft

I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open
environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

Mikey wrote:
> This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
> installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
> open IE 8 she gets the following message:
>
> To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
> program.
>
> Name: IE
> Publisher: Microsoft
>
> I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
> really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
> causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Mikey" <Mikey@Not.here> wrote in message news:4A60B13C.FEF7086B@Not.here...
> This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
> installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
> open IE 8 she gets the following message:
>
> To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
> program.
>
> Name: IE
> Publisher: Microsoft
>
> I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
> really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
> causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Mikey

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open
Thanks for the phone number, I'll email it to my sister (we don't live close to
each other). I'm not sure she'll call, though. Last year she spent hours (well,
according to her, hours) on the phone with her ISP because she kept having
connection problems, and I'm not sure that she'll want to spend hours on the
phone with Microsoft support trying to get IE 8 working.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Mikey wrote:
> > This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
> > installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
> > open IE 8 she gets the following message:
> >
> > To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
> > program.
> >
> > Name: IE
> > Publisher: Microsoft
> >
> > I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
> > really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
> > causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Mikey

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open
Umm, she was never able to get IE 8 to open after she installed it, so I don't
see how it could be an add-ons problem. Unless a new installation of IE 8
already comes with an add-on or two? Does it? Anyway, I'll email her your
suggestion (she doesn't live near me) and have her try it.
Thanks for the reply.

Singapore Computer Service wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>
> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
> the same problem arises.
>
> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>
> If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "Mikey" <Mikey@Not.here> wrote in message news:4A60B13C.FEF7086B@Not.here...
> > This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
> > installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
> > open IE 8 she gets the following message:
> >
> > To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
> > program.
> >
> > Name: IE
> > Publisher: Microsoft
> >
> > I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
> > really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
> > causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open

"Mikey" <Mikey@Not.here> wrote in message news:4A60E10B.925BA423@Not.here...
> Umm, she was never able to get IE 8 to open after she installed it, so I don't
> see how it could be an add-ons problem. Unless a new installation of IE 8
> already comes with an add-on or two? Does it?

It comes with whatever she had installed in IE7 which is not explicitly
blocked for being definitely incompatible with IE8. She could try a RIES
to get rid of all such customizations which the install would have tried
to preserve for her. E.g via the Internet Options, Control Panel applet.
Run... (press Win-R and enter control.exe inetcpl.cpl,,6
and click Reset...

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Anyway, I'll email her your
> suggestion (she doesn't live near me) and have her try it.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Singapore Computer Service wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>>
>> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
>> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
>> the same problem arises.
>>
>> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
>> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
>> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
>> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
>> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>>
>> If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Regards,
>> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
>> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
>> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
>> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
>> "Mikey" <Mikey@Not.here> wrote in message news:4A60B13C.FEF7086B@Not.here...
>> > This morning my sister installed IE 8 (Windows XP, had IE 7
>> > installed and it was working perfectly). When she tries to
>> > open IE 8 she gets the following message:
>> >
>> > To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this
>> > program.
>> >
>> > Name: IE
>> > Publisher: Microsoft
>> >
>> > I know she can uninstall IE 8 and go back to IE 7, but she'd
>> > really like to try IE 8. Does anyone know what could be
>> > causing this and what she can do to fix the problem?

Helpful Helper

Re: IE 8 installed, won't open
IE8 doesn't come with any add-ons, but it will certainly use whatever was
there from whatever you upgraded from (in her case, that's IE7, and maybe
even IE6 before that).

My suggestion is to run IE8 in no add-ons mode: from the start menu, look
under all programs, accessories, system tools (there should be an "IE with
no add-ons" icon there).

If it doesn't run at that point, then something is seriously wrong and I
suggest restoring her PC from a restore point prior to installing IE8, then
running some checking tools like CHKDSK and anti-virus/malware programs.

If it does run at that point, then a pre-installed add-on is to blame, but
it's easy to fix: from the top of the IE window she can click Tools, then
Manage Add-ons, then DISABLE everything that's installed. The only things
she probably really wants is Flash & Silverlight anyway. Then close IE, and
restart it normally, and I'll be it runs fine. What she can do then is
re-enable add-ons one at a time to see which one was at fault. Or, even
better, just keep them all off - most people don't use most add-ons that are
installed and they just slow the browser down anyway.