Problem Navigating on Website

Jeffrey Hedgemon

Problem Navigating on Website
I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate on a
different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I have a
Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the website
using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm assuming
others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website. Finally, I
attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to that earlier
version. Anyone else experience this problem?
--
Many Thanks!

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML output in
Internet Explorer 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705

Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
> I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
> through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
> version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate
> on
> a different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I
> have
> a Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the
> website
> using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm assuming
> others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website. Finally, I
> attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to that earlier
> version. Anyone else experience this problem?

Leonard Grey

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
Because of significant code and feature changes in Internet Explorer 8,
web pages that were developed for previous versions of Internet
Explorer, or with proprietary HTML or scripting extensions, might not
function the same way in Internet Explorer 8. Web developers need to
test their web pages to identify compatibility issues with Internet
Explorer 8, and redesign web pages that do not function properly.

In the meantime, try viewing the web page in question in Compatibility
View, which renders the page as it would appear in IE 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
> I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
> through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
> version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate on a
> different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I have a
> Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the website
> using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm assuming
> others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website. Finally, I
> attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to that earlier
> version. Anyone else experience this problem?

Helpful Helper

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
I agree, your best bet is to click the 'compat' button next to the Address
Bar in IE8 (next to the stop/refresh buttons) when visiting your website -
that will switch IE8 into IE7 rendering mode for that domain and it should
work just fine.

You should then consider following up with the folks who own your company's
website to fix the problem (which might be as easy as forcing all users who
visit to use IE7 mode, which they can do - just point them to the IE blog at
http://blogs.msdn.com and look for 'compatibility'

> Because of significant code and feature changes in Internet Explorer 8,
> web pages that were developed for previous versions of Internet Explorer,
> or with proprietary HTML or scripting extensions, might not function the
> same way in Internet Explorer 8. Web developers need to test their web
> pages to identify compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 8, and
> redesign web pages that do not function properly.
>
> In the meantime, try viewing the web page in question in Compatibility
> View, which renders the page as it would appear in IE 7.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
>> I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
>> through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
>> version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate
>> on a different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I
>> have a Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the
>> website using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm
>> assuming others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website.
>> Finally, I attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to
>> that earlier version. Anyone else experience this problem?

Jeffrey Hedgemon

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
Thanks for your reply. How do I overcome this problem. Redo the navagation
bars using Publisher 07? or is there some other solution?
--
Many Thanks!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML output in
> Internet Explorer 8:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
> > I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
> > through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
> > version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate
> > on
> > a different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I
> > have
> > a Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the
> > website
> > using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm assuming
> > others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website. Finally, I
> > attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to that earlier
> > version. Anyone else experience this problem?

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
[Crosspost to Publisher WebDesign newsgroup]

Are you running Publisher 2007 SP2 now/yet? If so, have you republished the
page using Publisher 2007 SP2 as KB969705 recommends?
--
~PA Bear

Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. How do I overcome this problem. Redo the
> navagation
> bars using Publisher 07? or is there some other solution?
>
>> Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML output
>> in
>> Internet Explorer 8:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
>>> I just downloaded IE 8 and immediately began having trouble navigating
>>> through my company's website. I accessed the website using an earlier
>>> version of IE and experienced no problems. I also attempted to navagate
>>> on
>>> a different computer that has IE 8 and experienced the same problem. I
>>> have
>>> a Dell Precision M6300 with Windows XP Professional. I created the
>>> website
>>> using Microsoft Publisher 2003. If I'm having the problem, I'm assuming
>>> others who have IE 8 will have difficulty on my website. Finally, I
>>> attempted to go back to IE 7 but was unable to switch back to that
>>> earlier
>>> version. Anyone else experience this problem?

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
[Thanks, David. Your post's a keeper.]

DavidF wrote:
> [...]

general is to ungroup the elements. There is both a manual fix to these
issues and a Service Patch that has been issued to fix it for Pub 2007.

Reference: Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML
output in Internet Explorer 8: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705

A manual method of fixing this grouping issue:

Go to each page > Edit > Select All (or Ctrl+A) > Arrange > Ungroup. This
will ungroup the Publisher built navbar and disconnect it from the wizard,
and the navbars will render correctly in IE8.

Publisher 2007 can be fixed manually or with the Office 2007 SP2:

Reference: Description of 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2)
and of Microsoft Office Language Pack 2007 SP2:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=953195

Some users have found SP2 breaks Publisher, and makes it impossible to open
existing Pub files...you know, break one thing to fix another, so there is a
hotfix for that:

Description of the Publisher 2007 hotfix package (Publisher.msp): June 30,
2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/972566/

DavidF

> [Crosspost to Publisher WebDesign newsgroup]
>
> Are you running Publisher 2007 SP2 now/yet? If so, have you republished
> the page using Publisher 2007 SP2 as KB969705 recommends?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
>> Thanks for your reply. How do I overcome this problem. Redo the
>> navagation
>> bars using Publisher 07? or is there some other solution?
>>
>>> Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML output
>>> in
>>> Internet Explorer 8:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705
>>>
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

zenjenten

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
I tried ungrouping the link boxes on my website but they still will not show
up when i publish them with the internet explorer 8. Is there something else
I can do

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to Publisher WebDesign newsgroup]
>
> Are you running Publisher 2007 SP2 now/yet? If so, have you republished the
> page using Publisher 2007 SP2 as KB969705 recommends?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>

> Jeffrey Hedgemon wrote:
> > Thanks for your reply. How do I overcome this problem. Redo the
> > navagation
> > bars using Publisher 07? or is there some other solution?
> >
> >> Navigation bars and other content is missing from Publisher HTML output
> >> in
> >> Internet Explorer 8:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969705
> >>
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

zenjenten

Re: Problem Navigating on Website
My website is lilyogashop.com. I published using Pub 03. Sorry for
hijacking, I'm new at this. never had to search for answers before. My
apologies