IE 8 Questons

AliceZ

IE 8 Questons
I just installed IE 8 version 8.0.6001.18702 (on my WinXPsp3 notebook) and
wonder

#1- is it still Beta, or is this the "final" version? If it is still 'beta,'
could that be harmful for my computer?

#2- Also, in IE 7 I always saw the phishing icon in lower right of screen.
Has that feature been removed from IE 8?
Someone told me "InPrivate Filtering ??" is being used in it's place, how do
I activate that and will it remain continuously active, or do I have to keep
activating it everytime I open IE 8, which seem quite a pain.

#3- I had been using Scandoo (in Google) with IE 7, but now with IE 8 I keep
getting a pop-up when I return to Scandoo, which reads:
----------------
Message from webpage:

While attempting to load module "com.scansafe.gwt.ScandooPopup", property
"user.agent" was set to the unexpected value "unknown"
Allowed values: gecko,gecko1_8,ie6,opera,safari
-------------

Can I no longer use Scandoo? We have grown accustoed to it because it tells
us which sites are safe and not safe.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Questons
#1 - The final version of Internet Explorer 8 was released in March.

#2 - The SmartScreen Filter is the successor to IE 7's Phishing Filter.
The SmartScreen Filter has a better interface, is faster, uses improved
heuristics and has anti-malware support to block unsafe downloads. (The
SmartScreen Filter will notify you when you attempt to download software
that is potentially unsafe.) You can enable or disable the SmartScreen
Filter at any time. You can also report suspected malicious sites
through this tool.

InPrivate Filtering is completely different. InPrivate Filtering
provides you with greater choice and control over how third-parties can
potentially track and aggregate your web browsing activities. It works
by observing the websites you visit and building a table of the unique
third-party content or object requests that are observed for each unique
domain. When InPrivate Filtering is active, third-party content is
blocked based on a default threshold of ten unique observances of these
requests.

#3 - Does Scandoo support Internet Explorer 8?

In general, before updating a web browser - be it IE or any other - you
should check to see if the software you count on most is supported in
the new browser. Usually, the software vendor has (or will soon have) a
version that is fully supported.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

AliceZ wrote:
> I just installed IE 8 version 8.0.6001.18702 (on my WinXPsp3 notebook) and
> wonder
>
> #1- is it still Beta, or is this the "final" version? If it is still 'beta,'
> could that be harmful for my computer?
>
> #2- Also, in IE 7 I always saw the phishing icon in lower right of screen.
> Has that feature been removed from IE 8?
> Someone told me "InPrivate Filtering ??" is being used in it's place, how do
> I activate that and will it remain continuously active, or do I have to keep
> activating it everytime I open IE 8, which seem quite a pain.
>
> #3- I had been using Scandoo (in Google) with IE 7, but now with IE 8 I keep
> getting a pop-up when I return to Scandoo, which reads:
> ----------------
> Message from webpage:
>
> While attempting to load module "com.scansafe.gwt.ScandooPopup", property
> "user.agent" was set to the unexpected value "unknown"
> Allowed values: gecko,gecko1_8,ie6,opera,safari
> -------------
>
> Can I no longer use Scandoo? We have grown accustoed to it because it tells
> us which sites are safe and not safe.

AliceZ

Re: IE 8 Questons
Thank you so very much. Probably the most informative answer I've received
thus far.
Would you be able to tell me if "SmartScrenn Fileter" or "InPrivate
Filtering" can be configured so that they remain ACTIVE all the time?
Someone told me that SmartScreen Filter must be turn on EVERY time I open
IE8. If that is true, I think that it might be a pain for us to keep
remembering to turn it on every time we open IE8. As seniors, we are a bit
forgetful and if we forgot to turn it ON, we would think that our compouter
could become 'infected,' etc.
We could not afford to pourchase another computer with our low income.
Thank you kindly.
Alice

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> #2 - The SmartScreen Filter is the successor to IE 7's Phishing Filter.
> The SmartScreen Filter has a better interface, is faster, uses improved
> heuristics and has anti-malware support to block unsafe downloads. (The
> SmartScreen Filter will notify you when you attempt to download software
> that is potentially unsafe.) You can enable or disable the SmartScreen
> Filter at any time. You can also report suspected malicious sites
> through this tool.
>
> InPrivate Filtering is completely different. InPrivate Filtering
> provides you with greater choice and control over how third-parties can
> potentially track and aggregate your web browsing activities. It works
> by observing the websites you visit and building a table of the unique
> third-party content or object requests that are observed for each unique
> domain. When InPrivate Filtering is active, third-party content is
> blocked based on a default threshold of ten unique observances of these
> requests.
>
> #3 - Does Scandoo support Internet Explorer 8?
>
> In general, before updating a web browser - be it IE or any other - you
> should check to see if the software you count on most is supported in
> the new browser. Usually, the software vendor has (or will soon have) a
> version that is fully supported.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> AliceZ wrote:
> > I just installed IE 8 version 8.0.6001.18702 (on my WinXPsp3 notebook) and
> > wonder
> >
> > #1- is it still Beta, or is this the "final" version? If it is still 'beta,'
> > could that be harmful for my computer?
> >
> > #2- Also, in IE 7 I always saw the phishing icon in lower right of screen.
> > Has that feature been removed from IE 8?
> > Someone told me "InPrivate Filtering ??" is being used in it's place, how do
> > I activate that and will it remain continuously active, or do I have to keep
> > activating it everytime I open IE 8, which seem quite a pain.
> >
> > #3- I had been using Scandoo (in Google) with IE 7, but now with IE 8 I keep
> > getting a pop-up when I return to Scandoo, which reads:
> > ----------------
> > Message from webpage:
> >
> > While attempting to load module "com.scansafe.gwt.ScandooPopup", property
> > "user.agent" was set to the unexpected value "unknown"
> > Allowed values: gecko,gecko1_8,ie6,opera,safari
> > -------------
> >
> > Can I no longer use Scandoo? We have grown accustoed to it because it tells
> > us which sites are safe and not safe.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 8 Questons
The information in my last post came from Microsoft's website, where the
new features of Internet Explorer are described in detail..

The SmartScreen Filter is on unless you turn it off.

Your second question is easily answered with a web search using this as
the search term:

start internet explorer in inprivate browsing by default
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

AliceZ wrote:
> [...]
>>> could that be harmful for my computer?
>>>
>>> #2- Also, in IE 7 I always saw the phishing icon in lower right of screen.
>>> Has that feature been removed from IE 8?
>>> Someone told me "InPrivate Filtering ??" is being used in it's place, how do
>>> I activate that and will it remain continuously active, or do I have to keep
>>> activating it everytime I open IE 8, which seem quite a pain.
>>>
>>> #3- I had been using Scandoo (in Google) with IE 7, but now with IE 8 I keep
>>> getting a pop-up when I return to Scandoo, which reads:
>>> ----------------
>>> Message from webpage:
>>>
>>> While attempting to load module "com.scansafe.gwt.ScandooPopup", property
>>> "user.agent" was set to the unexpected value "unknown"
>>> Allowed values: gecko,gecko1_8,ie6,opera,safari
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> Can I no longer use Scandoo? We have grown accustoed to it because it tells

Thanks.
It seems that SmartScreen Filter in my IE 8 on my notebook (WinXPsp3) always
turns off when I close IE 8. When I open IE 8 again, I have to turnh on the
SmartScreen Filter.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:
The SmartScreen Filter is on unless you turn it off.

Re: IE 8 Questons
What Norton application is installed?

AliceZ wrote:
> Thanks.
> It seems that SmartScreen Filter in my IE 8 on my notebook (WinXPsp3)
> always
> turns off when I close IE 8. When I open IE 8 again, I have to turnh on
> the
> SmartScreen Filter.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> The SmartScreen Filter is on unless you turn it off.

AliceZ

Re: IE 8 Questons
Norton is not installed on this notebook. (AVG8; MalwareBytes; SpyBot;
SpyBlaster)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What Norton application is installed?
>
> AliceZ wrote:
> > Thanks.
> > It seems that SmartScreen Filter in my IE 8 on my notebook (WinXPsp3)
> > always
> > turns off when I close IE 8. When I open IE 8 again, I have to turnh on
> > the
> > SmartScreen Filter.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> > The SmartScreen Filter is on unless you turn it off.

Re: IE 8 Questons
AVG v8.0 or v8.5? If Search-Shield and/or Active Surf-Shield is
installed/enabled, disable it/them; cf.
http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1254#faq_1254. If the Security Toolbar's
installed, disable or uninstall it; cf.
http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1885#faq_1885

PS: Did you disable AVG Resident Shield and SpyBot Tea Timer & SDHelper
prior to installing IE8?

AliceZ wrote:
> Norton is not installed on this notebook. (AVG8; MalwareBytes; SpyBot;
> SpyBlaster)
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> What Norton application is installed?
>>
>> AliceZ wrote:
>>> Thanks.
>>> It seems that SmartScreen Filter in my IE 8 on my notebook (WinXPsp3)
>>> always
>>> turns off when I close IE 8. When I open IE 8 again, I have to turnh on
>>> the
>>> SmartScreen Filter.
>>>
>>> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>>> The SmartScreen Filter is on unless you turn it off.

AliceZ

Re: IE 8 Questons
I dind't install Tea Timer.

AVG 8.5.375.
Wouldn't turning off the Resident Shiled defeat the purpose of AVG
monitoring for virusues?

I don' know what "Search-Shield and/or Active Surf-Shield " is/are?
==

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> AVG v8.0 or v8.5? If Search-Shield and/or Active Surf-Shield is
> installed/enabled, disable it/them; cf.
> http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1254#faq_1254. If the Security Toolbar's
> installed, disable or uninstall it; cf.
> http://free.avg.com/faq.num-1885#faq_1885
>
> PS: Did you disable AVG Resident Shield and SpyBot Tea Timer & SDHelper
> prior to installing IE8?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> AliceZ wrote:
> > Norton is not installed on this notebook. (AVG8; MalwareBytes; SpyBot;
> > SpyBlaster)
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> What Norton application is installed?

Re: IE 8 Questons
I advised you to disable AVG's Search-Shield, not Resident Shield, and
Active Surf-Shield, Alice. Those two components (and the security toolbar)
are incompatible with IE8's SmartScreen Filter.

Better yet, uninstall AVG then reinstall it: This time select a CUSTOM
install and opt-out of installing Search-Shield, Active Surf-Shield,
Security Toolbar, and all email scanners.

http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm