IE8 Not connecting

Bart

IE8 Not connecting
IE8 will not connect to the internet. It will open with blank page but will
then not connect to any website. My internet connection is OK as I can
connect to websites via Firefox. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone Alarm
firewall.

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Not connecting
Is Zone Alarm configured to permit your new version of Internet Explorer
to access the internet?

Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Bart wrote:
> IE8 will not connect to the internet. It will open with blank page but will
> then not connect to any website. My internet connection is OK as I can
> connect to websites via Firefox. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone Alarm
> firewall.

Bart

Re: IE8 Not connecting

--
Leonard
Many thanks for your comments. Zone Alarm is already configured to allow

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Is Zone Alarm configured to permit your new version of Internet Explorer
> to access the internet?
>
> Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Bart wrote:
> > IE8 will not connect to the internet. It will open with blank page but will
> > then not connect to any website. My internet connection is OK as I can
> > connect to websites via Firefox. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone Alarm
> > firewall.

Helpful Helper

Re: IE8 Not connecting
Is IE8 in offline mode? In IE8, hit the ALT key on your keyboard (so the
menus show up) and then click on the File menu. Look for a 'work offline'
option - is it checked? If so, uncheck it.

That should work.

If not, or if it's not checked, go to Tools, Internet Options. Then go to
the connections tab and click the "LAN Settings" button at the bottom. Make
sure the settings are correct (chances are, if you're at home, all
checkboxes should be cleared/empty).

"Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> --
> Leonard
> Many thanks for your comments. Zone Alarm is already configured to allow
> access to IE8 and I had already tried to run IE in no-addons mode and had
> run
> Malicious software removal. Can you suggest any other actions to resolve
> my
> problem
>

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Is Zone Alarm configured to permit your new version of Internet Explorer
>> to access the internet?
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
>> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
>> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Bart wrote:
>> > IE8 will not connect to the internet. It will open with blank page but
>> > will
>> > then not connect to any website. My internet connection is OK as I can
>> > connect to websites via Firefox. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone
>> > Alarm
>> > firewall.

Bart

Re: IE8 Not connecting
Work offline option was unchecked and all the LAN settings were empty (i.e.
unchecked). Can you suggest anything else please.
--

"Helpful Helper" wrote:

> Is IE8 in offline mode? In IE8, hit the ALT key on your keyboard (so the
> menus show up) and then click on the File menu. Look for a 'work offline'
> option - is it checked? If so, uncheck it.
>
> That should work.
>
> If not, or if it's not checked, go to Tools, Internet Options. Then go to
> the connections tab and click the "LAN Settings" button at the bottom. Make
> sure the settings are correct (chances are, if you're at home, all
> checkboxes should be cleared/empty).
>

> "Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > --
> > Leonard
> > Many thanks for your comments. Zone Alarm is already configured to allow
> > access to IE8 and I had already tried to run IE in no-addons mode and had
> > run
> > Malicious software removal. Can you suggest any other actions to resolve
> > my
> > problem
> >

> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Is Zone Alarm configured to permit your new version of Internet Explorer
> >> to access the internet?
> >>
> >> Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
> >>
> >> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> >> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> >> following target path:
> >>
> >> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
> >>
> >> If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> >> caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> >> how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
> >>
> >> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> >> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est

Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Not connecting
Hi,
I would run these tests to rule out ZoneAlarm as the cause.

1. Prevent ZA from loading at startup (should be an option in ZA settings)
Restart, enable the Windows Firewall (Control Panel> Windows Firewall) Test
IE8. Any change?

2. If the problem persists after that test, I would uninstall ZA to see if
it is/was the cause.

It's possible that recent updates for IE (usually 2nd Tuesday of the month)
made IE8 appear to be a new program to ZA and it's allowing the "old" IE8 to
connect, but not the new IE8. Uninstalling/reinstalling ZA should force it
to see the "new" IE8.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Bart" <Bart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Leonard
> Many thanks for your comments. Zone Alarm is already configured to allow
> access to IE8 and I had already tried to run IE in no-addons mode and had

run
> Malicious software removal. Can you suggest any other actions to resolve

my
> problem

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > Is Zone Alarm configured to permit your new version of Internet Explorer
> > to access the internet?
> >
> > Run Internet Explorer in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
> >
> > If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> > Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
> >
> > Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> > following target path:
> >
> > "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
> >
> > If the problem does not occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, then it's being
> > caused by one of the add-ons that you have installed. We can show you
> > how to identify which add-on is causing the problem.
> >
> > Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> > software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

> > Bart wrote:
> > > IE8 will not connect to the internet. It will open with blank page but

will
> > > then not connect to any website. My internet connection is OK as I can
> > > connect to websites via Firefox. I am running Windows XP SP3 and Zone

Alarm
> > > firewall.

Melee

Re: IE8 Not connecting
I have the same issues and I have to initiate like 10 IE8 windows and maybe 1
or 2 of them will catch. if I need to open a new tab it does the same thing.
I need to just keep clicking time after time after time and maybe 10 minutes
later I get a page up. naturally I use other browsers because of that. I
really need a fix because a primary website I a forced to use, requires IE.
pmacqster

Re: IE8 Not connecting
Hi have the same problem but get NO internet connection at all with IE8 after
"upgrading" to W7. I am using Microsoft's firewall, have IE8 listed, it's not
in off-line model and have disabled all add-ons. Firefox and Safari work
fine. HELP!