Favorites have a .url extension

Gordon

Favorites have a .url extension
After several imports and exports to and from IE7 and IE8 all my individual
favorite links have .url after them. It's not a problem, but nit would be
nice to be able get rid of that for a clean look!
As I have several thousands favorites, is there some little utility that I
could run to do this? (Currently using IE8 on Win 7RC)

Don Varnau

Re: Favorites have a .url extension
Hi,
See this page.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favext.htm
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

> Hi,
> See this page.
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favext.htm

No's 1 and 3 I can't do because it's IE8 on Win 7, and no 2, creating a
Registry key, ( NeverShowExt), that reg key is there already.
Should I delete the key, re-boot and then re-create it?

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

Gordon wrote:

> After several imports and exports to and from IE7 and IE8 all my
> individual favorite links have .url after them. It's not a problem, but
> nit would be nice to be able get rid of that for a clean look!
> As I have several thousands favorites, is there some little utility that I
> could run to do this? (Currently using IE8 on Win 7RC)

Please ask for help in the Windows 7 Forums:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

Gordon

Re: Favorites have a .url extension

> Hi,
> See this page.
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favext.htm

Hi Don,

If I delete the regkey mentioned in that page the favorites become
"Google.url.url"
If I then re-create the key they become "Google.url"
Is there a way of exporting the Favorites list to (say) Word, removing all
instances of url and re-importing?

Gordon

Re: Favorites have a .url extension

"Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> After several imports and exports to and from IE7 and IE8 all my
> individual favorite links have .url after them. It's not a problem, but
> nit would be nice to be able get rid of that for a clean look!
> As I have several thousands favorites, is there some little utility that I
> could run to do this? (Currently using IE8 on Win 7RC)

Thanks to all the responders - finally I exported favorites to a htm file,
opened in Word and did a Find and Replace to replace .url with nothing and
saved the file.
Deleted all the favorites in my Favorites folder, opened IE and imported the
saved file.

Essexbiker

Re: Favorites have a .url extension
I don't know why everyone seems to have so many problems trying to get their
IE7 favorites in to IE8 or vice versa? Whenever I install or reinstall an
operating system, I always go immediately to C: Users> me and move the
location of my favorites folder to my exisiting Favorites folder which is
stored on a partition.

This works a treat! No messing around editing shortcuts in Notepad and
saving them as ANSI or anything! And you never lose all your favorites
either. It seems such an obvious solution that I don't know why more people
don't do it?
--
HP Pavillion system model FR612AA-ABU a6632uk. AMD Phenom(tm) 8550
Triple-Core Processor. 3gb RAM. NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GS graphics card. Vista

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Gordon" <gordonbparker@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > After several imports and exports to and from IE7 and IE8 all my
> > individual favorite links have .url after them. It's not a problem, but
> > nit would be nice to be able get rid of that for a clean look!
> > As I have several thousands favorites, is there some little utility that I
> > could run to do this? (Currently using IE8 on Win 7RC)

> Thanks to all the responders - finally I exported favorites to a htm file,
> opened in Word and did a Find and Replace to replace .url with nothing and
> saved the file.
> Deleted all the favorites in my Favorites folder, opened IE and imported the
> saved file.

Groff is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Favorites have a .url extension
I had this problem in Windows 7.

Turned out it was caused by my trying to manually set a default file association for the extension ".url" in "Default Programs."

When I went back and reset it to "Internet Browser" the extensions disappeared (and my favicons came back).

I suspect the same thing could happen in Vista.