IE7 Dies immediately after launch in XP on Thinkpad T42

Dan Brennan

IE7 Dies immediately after launch in XP on Thinkpad T42
I have been trying to get IE7 to start for a week after my Thinkpad "Blue
Screened" and Windows XP wouldn't start even in Safe Mode. I ended up having
to reinstall XP, which I did by going into Recovery Mode from the XP CD and
renaming the WINDOWS directory to WINDOWS.OLD. I tried to rename PROGRAM
FILES and DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, but had no access, so the new install of XP
had to write into existing directories.

I loaded IE7 and the installation ran uneventfully. But IE7 will not load.
I get an image of a window for a ┬╝-second, and can see iexplore.exe in the
Task Manager if I watch really carefully, but the app crashes with no other
trace.

I have tried the reregistration of ieproxy.dll. Nothing. I tried running
IE7 from Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing. I tried uninstalling IE7 and
reinstalling it, once in normal mode, once in Safe Mode. Nothing. I tried
starting IE7 "with no add-ins". Nothing. And I tried Reseting Internet
Explorer Settings. Nothing.

My Fix-It Utilities Virus Scanner reports no issues with Spyware. Mozilla
Firefox runs with no issues. I cannot use IE8 because it prevents Quickbooks
from running.

Any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Dies immediately after launch in XP on Thinkpad T42
Your re-installation of Windows was performed incorrectly.

Did you want to re-install Windows over itself? This is known as an
'repair install' or an 'in place upgrade'. If so, see here:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

If your intention was to erase your hard disk and start over - known as
a 'clean install' - see here:

"Clean Install Windows XP"

If you intended to use your computer manufacturer's recovery CDs or
recovery partition, contact the manufacturer for instructions specific
to your make and model of computer.

In general, before performing any major changes to a computer, search
the web for detailed instructions. Don't ask me how I learned this, but
here's a hint: It wasn't 'the easy way.'
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Dan Brennan wrote:
> I have been trying to get IE7 to start for a week after my Thinkpad "Blue
> Screened" and Windows XP wouldn't start even in Safe Mode. I ended up having
> to reinstall XP, which I did by going into Recovery Mode from the XP CD and
> renaming the WINDOWS directory to WINDOWS.OLD. I tried to rename PROGRAM
> FILES and DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, but had no access, so the new install of XP
> had to write into existing directories.
>
> I loaded IE7 and the installation ran uneventfully. But IE7 will not load.
> I get an image of a window for a ┬╝-second, and can see iexplore.exe in the
> Task Manager if I watch really carefully, but the app crashes with no other
> trace.
>
> I have tried the reregistration of ieproxy.dll. Nothing. I tried running
> IE7 from Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing. I tried uninstalling IE7 and
> reinstalling it, once in normal mode, once in Safe Mode. Nothing. I tried
> starting IE7 "with no add-ins". Nothing. And I tried Reseting Internet
> Explorer Settings. Nothing.
>
> My Fix-It Utilities Virus Scanner reports no issues with Spyware. Mozilla
> Firefox runs with no issues. I cannot use IE8 because it prevents Quickbooks
> from running.
>
> Any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

Robert Aldwinckle

"Dan Brennan" <DanBrennan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24F11AD4-0AE6-405F-9D35-A5CAAFB7487E@microsoft.com...
>I have been trying to get IE7 to start for a week after my Thinkpad "Blue
> Screened" and Windows XP wouldn't start even in Safe Mode. I ended up having
> to reinstall XP, which I did by going into Recovery Mode from the XP CD and
> renaming the WINDOWS directory to WINDOWS.OLD. I tried to rename PROGRAM
> FILES and DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, but had no access, so the new install of XP
> had to write into existing directories.
>
> I loaded IE7 and the installation ran uneventfully. But IE7 will not load.
> I get an image of a window for a ╝-second, and can see iexplore.exe in the
> Task Manager if I watch really carefully, but the app crashes with no other
> trace.

You could get a "trace" by running ProcMon.
Another "trace" would be running iexplore.exe under
DependencyWalker's Profiler tool. <eg>

> I have tried the reregistration of ieproxy.dll. Nothing. I tried running
> IE7 from Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing. I tried uninstalling IE7 and
> reinstalling it, once in normal mode, once in Safe Mode. Nothing. I tried
> starting IE7 "with no add-ins". Nothing. And I tried Reseting Internet
> Explorer Settings. Nothing.
>
> My Fix-It Utilities Virus Scanner reports no issues with Spyware. Mozilla
> Firefox runs with no issues.

> I cannot use IE8 because it prevents Quickbooks from running.

Are you implying that you are able to install IE8 successfully?
Perhaps Quickbooks would work with a different User-Agent string?

> Any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

What do you see if you Run... (e.g. press Win-R and enter

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Dan Brennan

Re: IE7 Dies immediately after launch in XP on Thinkpad T42
Thank you, Leonard. Apologies for the delayed reply, but after reading your
post I decided the safest approach was a clean install. These are never
quick (even when done wrong), and I'm just now getting back online. IE7
works fine now, as do a lot of other applications (one-at-a-time).

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Your re-installation of Windows was performed incorrectly.
>
> Did you want to re-install Windows over itself? This is known as an
> 'repair install' or an 'in place upgrade'. If so, see here:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> If your intention was to erase your hard disk and start over - known as
> a 'clean install' - see here:
>
> "Clean Install Windows XP"
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html
>
> If you intended to use your computer manufacturer's recovery CDs or
> recovery partition, contact the manufacturer for instructions specific
> to your make and model of computer.
>
> In general, before performing any major changes to a computer, search
> the web for detailed instructions. Don't ask me how I learned this, but
> here's a hint: It wasn't 'the easy way.'
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Dan Brennan wrote:
> > I have been trying to get IE7 to start for a week after my Thinkpad "Blue
> > Screened" and Windows XP wouldn't start even in Safe Mode. I ended up having
> > to reinstall XP, which I did by going into Recovery Mode from the XP CD and
> > renaming the WINDOWS directory to WINDOWS.OLD. I tried to rename PROGRAM
> > FILES and DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, but had no access, so the new install of XP
> > had to write into existing directories.
> >
> > I loaded IE7 and the installation ran uneventfully. But IE7 will not load.
> > I get an image of a window for a ¼-second, and can see iexplore.exe in the
> > Task Manager if I watch really carefully, but the app crashes with no other
> > trace.
> >
> > I have tried the reregistration of ieproxy.dll. Nothing. I tried running
> > IE7 from Safe Mode with Networking. Nothing. I tried uninstalling IE7 and
> > reinstalling it, once in normal mode, once in Safe Mode. Nothing. I tried
> > starting IE7 "with no add-ins". Nothing. And I tried Reseting Internet
> > Explorer Settings. Nothing.
> >
> > My Fix-It Utilities Virus Scanner reports no issues with Spyware. Mozilla
> > Firefox runs with no issues. I cannot use IE8 because it prevents Quickbooks
> > from running.
> >
> > Any better ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

Dan Brennan

Re: IE7 Dies immediately after launch in XP on Thinkpad T42
Thanks for the reply, Robert. In the end I did a clean install of XP and
IE7. That fixed the problem. So far no blue screens and IE7 is behaving.