Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Internet Explorer blocked?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Jo-Anne
 

Posts: n/a
Internet Explorer blocked?
My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could see
the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert. It
said:

To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of
this program.
Do you want to keep blocking this program?
Name: Internet Explorer
Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.

The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize the
program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."

Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was blocked
in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Start here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...hat-to-do.aspx

Jo-Anne wrote:
> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could
> see
> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert. It
> said:
>
> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features
> of
> this program.
> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
> Name: Internet Explorer
> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>
> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>
> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize the
> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>
> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
> blocked
> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Terry R.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
The date and time was Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:51:51 PM , and on a
whim, Jo-Anne pounded out on the keyboard:

> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could see
> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert. It
> said:
>
> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of
> this program.
> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
> Name: Internet Explorer
> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>
> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>
> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize the
> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>
> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was blocked
> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne
>
>


Hi Jo-Anne,

You will have to unblock it if you want to access the file since you're
using FTP (File Transfer Protocol).


Terry R.
--
Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Jo-Anne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Eeeep! Thank you, Robear. I now sorta see what's going on--but as you know,
I'm VERY reluctant to mess with the registry. Since this issue is unlikely
to occur often, will unblocking make it work, as Terry suggested?

Thank you again,

Jo-Anne

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23RgLzkpBKHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Start here:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...hat-to-do.aspx
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
>> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
>> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could
>> see
>> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert.
>> It
>> said:
>>
>> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features
>> of
>> this program.
>> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
>> Name: Internet Explorer
>> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>>
>> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
>> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize
>> the
>> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>>
>> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
>> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
>> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
>> blocked
>> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

>



Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Jo-Anne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
"Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
news:uCyJIlpBKHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> The date and time was Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:51:51 PM , and on a whim,
> Jo-Anne pounded out on the keyboard:
>
>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
>> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
>> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could
>> see the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security
>> Alert. It said:
>>
>> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features
>> of this program.
>> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
>> Name: Internet Explorer
>> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>>
>> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
>> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize
>> the program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>>
>> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
>> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
>> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
>> blocked in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the
>> issue?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

>
> Hi Jo-Anne,
>
> You will have to unblock it if you want to access the file since you're
> using FTP (File Transfer Protocol).
>
>
> Terry R.
> --
> Anti-spam measures are included in my email address.
> Delete NOSPAM from the email address after clicking Reply.


Thank you, Terry!

Jo-Anne


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Just copy/paste the FTP address into a Windows Explorer Address bar.

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Eeeep! Thank you, Robear. I now sorta see what's going on--but as you
> know,
> I'm VERY reluctant to mess with the registry. Since this issue is unlikely
> to occur often, will unblocking make it work, as Terry suggested?
>
> Thank you again,
>
> Jo-Anne
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23RgLzkpBKHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Start here:
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...hat-to-do.aspx
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a
>>> textbook
>>> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at
>>> an
>>> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could
>>> see
>>> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert.
>>> It
>>> said:
>>>
>>> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some
>>> features
>>> of
>>> this program.
>>> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
>>> Name: Internet Explorer
>>> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>>>
>>> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>>>
>>> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
>>> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize
>>> the
>>> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>>>
>>> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
>>> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft
>>> said
>>> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
>>> blocked
>>> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne


Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Jo-Anne wrote:

> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could see
> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert. It
> said:
>
> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features of
> this program.
> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
> Name: Internet Explorer
> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>
> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>
> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize the
> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>
> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was blocked
> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?


FTP = File Transfer Protocol

The client and server communicate over port 21. Since the client
initiates the connection to port 21 at the server, its outbound
connection is allowed by the firewall and any further communications
over that connection are allowed. However, when a file transfer is
requested, the server sends the file's bytes back to the client over
port 20. That looks to the firewall like an unsolicited inbound
connection attempt by the server. If you want to get the file, you'll
need to allow IE to complete the FTP request on port 20. The control
commands between client and server are over port 21. The data transfer
from the server is on port 20.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Jo-Anne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Thank you, Robear! I did what you said--and after unlocking the toolbars I
managed to get the Address bar to show up in Windows Explorer. However, when
I typed in the publisher's ftp address, I got the same security alert that I
had gotten earlier in IE. I clicked the X in the upper right-hand corner,
and the box disappeared and I had all the files I was supposed to see. I
logged in as I was told and tried to open one of the files in Microsoft
Word. It opened, but once again I got the security alert notice, this time
for Word. I was able to see the document anyway, but it's odd to keep
getting this message.

Jo-Anne

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:uSEPq1pBKHA.4984@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Just copy/paste the FTP address into a Windows Explorer Address bar.
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Eeeep! Thank you, Robear. I now sorta see what's going on--but as you
>> know,
>> I'm VERY reluctant to mess with the registry. Since this issue is
>> unlikely
>> to occur often, will unblocking make it work, as Terry suggested?
>>
>> Thank you again,
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23RgLzkpBKHA.3800@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Start here:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/askie/archive/...hat-to-do.aspx
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a
>>>> textbook
>>>> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at
>>>> an
>>>> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I
>>>> could
>>>> see
>>>> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert.
>>>> It
>>>> said:
>>>>
>>>> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some
>>>> features
>>>> of
>>>> this program.
>>>> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
>>>> Name: Internet Explorer
>>>> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>>>>
>>>> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>>>>
>>>> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
>>>> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize
>>>> the
>>>> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>>>>
>>>> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
>>>> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft
>>>> said
>>>> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
>>>> blocked
>>>> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?
>>>>
>>>> Thank you!
>>>>
>>>> Jo-Anne

>



Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
Jo-Anne
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
"VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
news:h3p2sm$6fe$1@news.albasani.net...
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>
>> My computer runs WinXP SP3, and I use IE7. I'm freelancing for a textbook
>> publisher that has asked me to look at some manuscript files online at an
>> ftp site. In IE, I typed in ftp.publishername.com and hit ENTER. I could
>> see
>> the opening page, but in the middle of it was a Windows Security Alert.
>> It
>> said:
>>
>> To help protect your computer, Windows Firewall has blocked some features
>> of
>> this program.
>> Do you want to keep blocking this program?
>> Name: Internet Explorer
>> Publisher: Microsoft Corporation
>>
>> My choices are to keep blocking, unblock, and ask me later.
>>
>> The last part says: "Windows Firewall has blocked this program from
>> accepting connections from the Internet or a network. If you recognize
>> the
>> program or trust the publisher, you can unblock it."
>>
>> Can I assume that it's OK to unblock the program? Could someone help me
>> understand why I received this Security Alert? I read what Microsoft said
>> about when it's OK to unblock a program, but I don't see why IE was
>> blocked
>> in the first place. Is there something about ftp that's the issue?

>
> FTP = File Transfer Protocol
>
> The client and server communicate over port 21. Since the client
> initiates the connection to port 21 at the server, its outbound
> connection is allowed by the firewall and any further communications
> over that connection are allowed. However, when a file transfer is
> requested, the server sends the file's bytes back to the client over
> port 20. That looks to the firewall like an unsolicited inbound
> connection attempt by the server. If you want to get the file, you'll
> need to allow IE to complete the FTP request on port 20. The control
> commands between client and server are over port 21. The data transfer
> from the server is on port 20.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ftp


Thank you, VanguardLH! In the end, does this mean I have to keep telling the
Security Alert box to unblock?

Jo-Anne


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 07-17-2009
VanguardLH
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Internet Explorer blocked?
Jo-Anne wrote:

> does this mean I have to keep telling the Security Alert box to
> unblock?


http://www.wilderssecurity.com/pics/WF-SecAlert.gif

If you Block, it keeps getting blocked. If you Unblock, it remains
unblocked. If you elect Ask Me Later, the connection gets blocked plus
you will be asked again when that program tries to connect again.

If you select Block or Unblock and later want to change your choice, you
will have to go into the Exceptions for the Windows Firewall and either
edit those exceptions or delete them and answer the prompt next time (to
chose the other action).
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Internet Explorer 8 blocked by Intrusion Protection CE Kirkerud microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 03-21-2009 05:22
Internet Explorer 6 gets blocked scoop microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 03-03-2009 23:27
Re: Internet Explorer has blocked this website PA Bear [MS MVP] microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 2 01-26-2009 00:15
Internet Explorer 7 installs while blocked Angela microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 4 12-20-2008 19:39
[KB] Internet Explorer no longer works correctly when you use a very long name in the Internet Explorer Favorites folder on a Windows Vista-based computer Alezito [MS MVP] microsoft.public.es.windowsvista 1 05-15-2007 17:48




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120