Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty

y_not

Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty
I have a fresh OS Install of WinXP SP3.
Everything works fine, there doesn't seem to be any stability issues thus far.

However, I noticed in the Internet Options Control Panel, the very 1st tab
displayed, the General Tab is missing 1/2 of the content.
Search Settings, Tab Settings & Home Page Settings.

See this picture: http://tinyurl.com/IE8TabEmpty

Any ideas?
I have tried a repair install of IE8, no luck.
I have Googled till I'm tired of Googling, and still some more, and
everything I find either relates to an entire tab gone, or editing a registry
key that doesn't even exist on a standard fresh install.

Thanks In Advance!!
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty

"y_not" <y_not@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96EA15A8-B55F-476B-8C7B-8441ED6FA932@microsoft.com...
>I have a fresh OS Install of WinXP SP3.
> Everything works fine, there doesn't seem to be any stability issues thus far.
>
> However, I noticed in the Internet Options Control Panel, the very 1st tab
> displayed, the General Tab is missing 1/2 of the content.
> Search Settings, Tab Settings & Home Page Settings.
>
> See this picture: http://tinyurl.com/IE8TabEmpty

Are you sure you have IE8 installed?
What version of inetcpl.cpl do you have?

Tip: use msinfo32 to find out. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

msinfo32.exe /category IEFileVersions

Note that you can capture the full line which refers to inetcpl.cpl.

> Any ideas?
> I have tried a repair install of IE8, no luck.

What does that mean? ; }

> I have Googled till I'm tired of Googling, and still some more, and
> everything I find either relates to an entire tab gone, or editing a registry
> key that doesn't even exist on a standard fresh install.
>
> Thanks In Advance!!

If you have the correct version you can try re-registering it.
Note though that it only provides an entry point for DllInstall
so you need to use switches to indicate that:

regsvr32.exe /n /i inetcpl.cpl

Please don't do this until you have the right version in place.

FWIW I found my exact version listed in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty
Define "fresh install" and how & why you did it.

Did you see the same thing before you installed IE8?

What's a "repair install of IE8" and how did you do it?

y_not wrote:
> I have a fresh OS Install of WinXP SP3.
> Everything works fine, there doesn't seem to be any stability issues thus
> far.
>
> However, I noticed in the Internet Options Control Panel, the very 1st tab
> displayed, the General Tab is missing 1/2 of the content.
> Search Settings, Tab Settings & Home Page Settings.
>
> See this picture: http://tinyurl.com/IE8TabEmpty
>
> Any ideas?
> I have tried a repair install of IE8, no luck.
> I have Googled till I'm tired of Googling, and still some more, and
> everything I find either relates to an entire tab gone, or editing a
> registry key that doesn't even exist on a standard fresh install.
>
> Thanks In Advance!!

y_not

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Define "fresh install" and how & why you did it.

I'm refurbishing a machine I'm giving to a friend who doesn't have one.
It was pulled from a business. I did a bunch of upgrades, tested it, did
burn-in, modded case for better airflow, and nuked the HDD and Installed the
OS /w a Slipstreamed SP3 CD that I have used countless times before.

Installed drivers, all updates, etc...

> Did you see the same thing before you installed IE8?

Didn't look, don't recall. One track mind, get it done!

> What's a "repair install of IE8" and how did you do it?

Ok, i was incorrect in saying I did a true repair install.
There hasn't been a true repair install since... IE6.

I just re-ran the installer for IE8, it said it was removing the old ver.
found, rebooted, then finished installing.

Didn't fix it.

However, I did just now remove it via Add/Remove, rebooted, installed again
from the MS IE8 Installer and all is well now.

Re: Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty
OK...

y_not wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Define "fresh install" and how & why you did it.
>>

> I'm refurbishing a machine I'm giving to a friend who doesn't have one.
> It was pulled from a business. I did a bunch of upgrades, tested it, did
> burn-in, modded case for better airflow, and nuked the HDD and Installed
> the
> OS /w a Slipstreamed SP3 CD that I have used countless times before.
>
> Installed drivers, all updates, etc...
>
>> Did you see the same thing before you installed IE8?
>>

> Didn't look, don't recall. One track mind, get it done!
>

>> What's a "repair install of IE8" and how did you do it?
>>

> Ok, i was incorrect in saying I did a true repair install.
> There hasn't been a true repair install since... IE6.
>
> I just re-ran the installer for IE8, it said it was removing the old ver.
> found, rebooted, then finished installing.
>
> Didn't fix it.
>
> However, I did just now remove it via Add/Remove, rebooted, installed
> again
> from the MS IE8 Installer and all is well now.

y_not

Re: Internet Options Control Panel General Tab Mostly Empty
An Update.

I re-imaged the machine, re-checked that the problem still existed in the
image. Indeed!

So I R&R'd IE8 again. Same problem.

So I Removed IE8 once more, rebooted, opened the IE7 CPL and "Reset IE
Settings" in the advanced tab. Which was also missing in IE8.
Then I re-installed IE8, rebooted.

TADA!!!

So resetting it had to be done in between R&R of IE8.
Crazy.

Is there a command line switch to do this if it's missing from the CPL?
Thus maybe not having to do an R&R of IE8 to get at it from the IE7 CPL?

> y_not wrote:
> >
> > I just re-ran the installer for IE8, it said it was removing the old ver.
> > found, rebooted, then finished installing.
> >
> > Didn't fix it.
> >
> > However, I did just now remove it via Add/Remove, rebooted, installed
> > again
> > from the MS IE8 Installer and all is well now.

bondarul

On Jul 17, 1:58*pm, y_not <y...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> An Update.
>
> I re-imaged the machine, re-checked that the problem still existed in the
> image. Indeed!
>
> So I R&R'd IE8 again. Same problem.
>
> So I Removed IE8 once more, rebooted, opened the IE7 CPL and "Reset *IE
> Settings" in the advanced tab. Which was also missing in IE8.
> Then I re-installed IE8, rebooted.
>
> TADA!!!
>
> So resetting it had to be done in between R&R of IE8.
> Crazy.
>
> Is there a command line switch to do this if it's missing from the CPL?
> Thus maybe not having to do an R&R of IE8 to get at it from the IE7 CPL?
>
> > y_not wrote:

> > > I just re-ran the installer for IE8, it said it was removing the old ver.
> > > found, rebooted, then finished installing.

> > > Didn't *fix it.

> > > However, I did just now remove it via Add/Remove, rebooted, installed
> > > again
> > > from the MS IE8 Installer and all is well now.

I am having the same problem
I can not find a solution in 2 days now
and i am about to reformat the whole pc and fresh install
NO one can help me pls
I have the same thing that its in the pic most of my options in the
general tab are missing