Re: unable to open attachments

Is the problem only with DOC attachments or all attachments?

Have you installed IE8?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
IE8?

Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
listed in Installed Updates?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

If you do the following, does the behavior persist?

=> Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
| Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
out.

NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d

Help!! wrote:
> I am experiencing problems opening a word attachment, when i click on the
> attachment to open it nothing happens, I have tried to save it and then
> open
> it and won't let me save it. I get the error message, Command failed to
> execute. I have plenty of memory free and am baffled as to what it could
> be.
> Please can someone help me?
>
> Thanks

Cari Drost

Re: unable to open attachments
For me it is all attachments, and yes I have unistalled IE8.

I am using Trend Micro and I have gone through the scenario with them, and
we have concluded that it's not on their end.

I hae gone into properties in Microsaoft Mail and deleted the start in field
and that still does not resolve the problem...please help anybody!!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is the problem only with DOC attachments or all attachments?
>
> Have you installed IE8?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed, is your
> Were any of these applications running in the background when you installed
> IE8?

> Is "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Vista (KB969897)"
> listed in Installed Updates?
>
> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> If you do the following, does the behavior persist?
>
> => Start | All Programs | right-click on Windows Mail | select Properties
> | Start in <=delete the value here (leaving it empty/blank) & OK your way
> out.
>
> NB: Uninstalling IE8 (cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700) should
> resolve the behavior but you should not have encountered it in the first
> place if IE8 was installed properly; cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...7d79493eac253d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Help!! wrote:
> > I am experiencing problems opening a word attachment, when i click on the
> > attachment to open it nothing happens, I have tried to save it and then
> > open
> > it and won't let me save it. I get the error message, Command failed to
> > execute. I have plenty of memory free and am baffled as to what it could
> > be.
> > Please can someone help me?
> >
> > Thanks

Re: unable to open attachments
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64
SP2) in your first post.

Tip: When you begin a new thread, I'll post the same content I did in reply
to Help!! so you can save us both some time by answering them all in your
first post, too.

THX