Missing icon

Ray

Missing icon
After having downloaded and installed IE8, my PC went really bonkers. Nothing
worked. Took it to a pc repair shop and was told that the copy of IE8 I had
installed was corrupt and a different download corrected the mess. Now I find
that the "Internet Options" icon is missing from the control panel. I use it
a lot and want to know how I can get it back.

Ray

Leonard Grey

Re: Missing icon
You appear to have an incomplete or corrupted installation of IE 8. Here
are my suggestions:

1. Uninstall IE 8

"How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

2. Start Over

Upgrading Windows XP to Internet Explorer 8:

[I don't have Vista -- the procedures might be slightly different if you
do.]

Follow these suggestions and you are virtually assured of success.

1- Read about the new features of IE 8 on Microsoft's website (and
elsewhere on the web).
2- Read the Release Notes [http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/dd441788.aspx]
3- Make sure your computer is 100% free of malware.
4- Make sure your computer is otherwise problem-free. Upgrading to IE 8
is not a fix for problems you are currently experiencing.
5- Make sure all your software (including Windows itself) and drivers
are up to date.
6- Make sure all your security software, as well as any other software
you frequently use and websites you frequently visit, are compatible
with IE 8.
7- Backup your personal files (documents, photos, spreadsheets, etc.) as
well as your e-mail, address book and Favorites; and create a restore
point. (If you're familiar with disk imaging, backup your hard drive.)
8- You may need to uninstall third-party toolbars from your current
version of Internet Explorer; or reset Internet Explorer to default
settings. When you reset Internet Explorer settings, all add-ons and
customizations are deleted, and you basically start with a fresh version
of Internet Explorer.
9- Download the IE 8 installer from the Microsoft website.
10- Close all open applications, i.e., applications with an icon on the
Taskbar.
11- Disable your security software. Turn on Windows Firewall.
12- During IE 8 installation, agree to "Install updates."
13- Reboot /twice/ after installing IE 8.
14- Turn off Windows Firewall. Re-enable your security software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Ray wrote:
> After having downloaded and installed IE8, my PC went really bonkers. Nothing
> worked. Took it to a pc repair shop and was told that the copy of IE8 I had
> installed was corrupt and a different download corrected the mess. Now I find
> that the "Internet Options" icon is missing from the control panel. I use it
> a lot and want to know how I can get it back.
>
> Ray

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Missing icon
Hello,

See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0159b672bc9acf
for a similar problem with many possible solutions

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message
> After having downloaded and installed IE8, my PC went really bonkers.
> Nothing
> worked. Took it to a pc repair shop and was told that the copy of IE8 I
> had
> installed was corrupt and a different download corrected the mess. Now I
> find
> that the "Internet Options" icon is missing from the control panel. I use
> it
> a lot and want to know how I can get it back.
>
> Ray

Re: Missing icon
Take the computer back to the shop: Chances are that something else is wrong
and that your original install of IE8 was fine.

Ray wrote:
> After having downloaded and installed IE8, my PC went really bonkers.
> Nothing worked. Took it to a pc repair shop and was told that the copy of
> IE8 I had installed was corrupt and a different download corrected the
> mess. Now I find that the "Internet Options" icon is missing from the
> control panel. I use it a lot and want to know how I can get it back.

Ray

Re: Missing icon
Would it be safe to try to install a different copy of IE8 on top of the
present install?
If not, how do I uninstall IE8? It is not listed in Add/Remove.
--
Ray