Won't Display Wikipedia Content

pestocat

Won't Display Wikipedia Content
I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on a
Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it and
needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed application.
Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I need to
configure IE in some way.

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on a
>Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it and
>needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed application.
>Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I need to
>configure IE in some way.

pestocat

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content
I reset IE to default settings and I have the same problem, when I go to
Wikipedia, it asksif I want to Save a file or No.
Any other ideas?
Thank you,

"Singapore Computer Service" <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com>
wrote in message news:ujiFW4kBKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>
> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No
> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see
> if
> the same problem arises.
>
> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if
> the
> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage
> Add-ons.
> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each
> add-on
> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>
> If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>>I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on a
>>Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it
>>and needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed
>>application. Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I
>>need to configure IE in some way.

pestocat

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content
I reinstalled IE8 and the problem is still there. I'm stumped.

>I reset IE to default settings and I have the same problem, when I go to
>Wikipedia, it asksif I want to Save a file or No.
> Any other ideas?
> Thank you,
>

> "Singapore Computer Service" <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com>
> wrote in message news:ujiFW4kBKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Hello,
>>
>> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>>
>> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
>> (No
>> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see
>> if
>> the same problem arises.
>>
>> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if
>> the
>> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage
>> Add-ons.
>> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each
>> add-on
>> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs
>> again
>> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>>
>> If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>>
>> Regards,
>> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
>> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
>> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
>> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
>> "pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>>>I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on
>>>a Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it
>>>and needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed
>>>application. Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I
>>>need to configure IE in some way.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content

"pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message news:eq4Gv6jBKHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on a
> Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it and
> needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed application.

For which file type or extension?

Once you find the file type or extension find out what is supposed
to handle it. E.g. in an earlier report I saw that the extension was .jpeg
but internally the file looked like it might be .jfif

So, we could check the open action for that in a cmd window like this:

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>assoc .jfif
..jfif=pjpegfile

E:\>ftype pjpegfile
pjpegfile=rundll32.exe F:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscre en %1
</cmd_output>

> Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I need to
> configure IE in some way.

More likely you have something installed that is incompatible with IE
or needs to be reinstalled after IE was installed.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

pestocat

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content
Upon more online research, it seems that the problem is related to the
Google Desktop application. So I'm stuck until the bug is fixed.

"Singapore Computer Service" <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com>
wrote in message news:ujiFW4kBKHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hello,
>
> Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.
>
> Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No
> Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see
> if
> the same problem arises.
>
> If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if
> the
> menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage
> Add-ons.
> Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each
> add-on
> one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
> after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.
>
> If still no go, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>
> Regards,
> Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
> http://www.bootstrike.com/ComputerService/
> Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv MicroMv
> http://www.bootstrike.com/VHSVideoConvert/
> "pestocat" <gel114@theconnection.com> wrote in message
>>I have IE8 with Win XP Pro and when I search for an an item and click on a
>>Wikipedia entry, I get message that IE8 doesn't know what to do with it
>>and needs to find an application and then it can't find the needed
>>application. Other PCs work OK without a problem. What is going on? Do I
>>need to configure IE in some way.

Re: Won't Display Wikipedia Content
Or you could install the newest version...