Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers

TheITMan

Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
I have a customer who upgraded to IE8 from IE7. Now when they print from IE8
to a line matrix printer the fonts are oversized and not spaced correctly.
IE8 printing is working fine with existing laser printers.
When they downgrade to IE7 it returns to printing perfectly.
I have researched other threads and noted issues with dot matrix printing
and shrink to fit but none of these suggestions seems to work.
Any other ideas?
--
TheITMan
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers

"TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CE15AFA-8088-4E29-AFFF-07B66FF70D8F@microsoft.com...
>I have a customer who upgraded to IE8 from IE7. Now when they print from IE8
> to a line matrix printer the fonts are oversized and not spaced correctly.
> IE8 printing is working fine with existing laser printers.
> When they downgrade to IE7 it returns to printing perfectly.
> I have researched other threads and noted issues with dot matrix printing
> and shrink to fit but none of these suggestions seems to work.

> Any other ideas?

Which OS? Try the Printing (and whatever) NG for that OS?
People reading there are more likely to be aware of printing issues
and their workarounds. You could cross-post your query to make
us aware of your findings. ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

TheITMan

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
Thanks for the response. I am new to this so I have to ask a stupid question.
What does NG mean?
THANKS
--
TheITMan

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CE15AFA-8088-4E29-AFFF-07B66FF70D8F@microsoft.com...
> >I have a customer who upgraded to IE8 from IE7. Now when they print from IE8
> > to a line matrix printer the fonts are oversized and not spaced correctly.
> > IE8 printing is working fine with existing laser printers.
> > When they downgrade to IE7 it returns to printing perfectly.
> > I have researched other threads and noted issues with dot matrix printing
> > and shrink to fit but none of these suggestions seems to work.

> > Any other ideas?

> Which OS? Try the Printing (and whatever) NG for that OS?
> People reading there are more likely to be aware of printing issues
> and their workarounds. You could cross-post your query to make
> us aware of your findings. ; )
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

TheITMan wrote:

> Thanks for the response. I am new to this so I have to ask a stupid
> question. What does NG mean?

NG: NewsGroup.

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

> THANKS
>

>> "TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I have a customer who upgraded to IE8 from IE7. Now when they print
>>> from IE8 to a line matrix printer the fonts are oversized and not
>>> spaced correctly. IE8 printing is working fine with existing laser
>>> printers.
>>> When they downgrade to IE7 it returns to printing perfectly.
>>> I have researched other threads and noted issues with dot matrix
>>> printing and shrink to fit but none of these suggestions seems to work.

>>> Any other ideas?

>> Which OS? Try the Printing (and whatever) NG for that OS?
>> People reading there are more likely to be aware of printing issues
>> and their workarounds. You could cross-post your query to make
>> us aware of your findings. ; )
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle

TheITMan

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
Customer is using Window 2003 Server, IE8
--
TheITMan

"TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:230B1363-2127-48BD-9A7B-F400530ECA98@microsoft.com...
> Customer is using Window 2003 Server, IE8

There is a newsgroup for Win2000 Printing but not for that OS.

Perhaps you're seeing some security/obscurity "feechur"? ; }

<title>Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration changes the browsing experience</title>
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/815141/

Try to make it a work station instead of a server?

<title>How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!</title>
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ie.htm

Good luck

Robert
---

> --
> TheITMan
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

>> "TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CE15AFA-8088-4E29-AFFF-07B66FF70D8F@microsoft.com...
>> >I have a customer who upgraded to IE8 from IE7. Now when they print from IE8
>> > to a line matrix printer the fonts are oversized and not spaced correctly.
>> > IE8 printing is working fine with existing laser printers.
>> > When they downgrade to IE7 it returns to printing perfectly.
>> > I have researched other threads and noted issues with dot matrix printing
>> > and shrink to fit but none of these suggestions seems to work.

>> > Any other ideas?

>> Which OS? Try the Printing (and whatever) NG for that OS?
>> People reading there are more likely to be aware of printing issues
>> and their workarounds. You could cross-post your query to make
>> us aware of your findings. ; )
>>

>> Good luck
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

TheITMan

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
The issue has been resolved pending further testing.
The Line matrix printer (Printronix P7xxx series) was reconfigured and
different driver loaded onto the PC.
It appears that using the Epson emulation (and Epson driver) might be a
solution.

For Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008, switch the printer to "Epson"
mode (from the front panel), Front Panel -> EMULATION -> Lineprinter+ ->
Printer Protocol -> Epson*, Don't forget to save it in the power-up config.
and use the "Epson FX-1050" driver that ships with Windows.
Note: Windows Vista/2008 users select the "Epson FX Series (136)" driver.

--
TheITMan

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:230B1363-2127-48BD-9A7B-F400530ECA98@microsoft.com...
> > Customer is using Window 2003 Server, IE8

> There is a newsgroup for Win2000 Printing but not for that OS.
>
> Perhaps you're seeing some security/obscurity "feechur"? ; }
>
> <title>Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration changes the browsing experience</title>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/815141/
>
> Try to make it a work station instead of a server?
>
> <title>How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!</title>
> http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ie.htm
>

> Good luck
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > --
> > TheITMan

> >> Which OS? Try the Printing (and whatever) NG for that OS?
> >> People reading there are more likely to be aware of printing issues
> >> and their workarounds. You could cross-post your query to make
> >> us aware of your findings. ; )
> >>

> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

DavidMo

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
TheITMan, did your solution above ever resolve your issue with IE8 and dot
matrix printing?

"TheITMan" wrote:

> The issue has been resolved pending further testing.
> The Line matrix printer (Printronix P7xxx series) was reconfigured and
> different driver loaded onto the PC.
> It appears that using the Epson emulation (and Epson driver) might be a
> solution.
>
> For Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008, switch the printer to "Epson"
> mode (from the front panel), Front Panel -> EMULATION -> Lineprinter+ ->
> Printer Protocol -> Epson*, Don't forget to save it in the power-up config.
> and use the "Epson FX-1050" driver that ships with Windows.
> Note: Windows Vista/2008 users select the "Epson FX Series (136)" driver.
>
> --
> TheITMan
>

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>

> > "TheITMan" <TheITMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:230B1363-2127-48BD-9A7B-F400530ECA98@microsoft.com...
> > > Customer is using Window 2003 Server, IE8

> > There is a newsgroup for Win2000 Printing but not for that OS.
> >
> > Perhaps you're seeing some security/obscurity "feechur"? ; }
> >
> > <title>Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration changes the browsing experience</title>
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/815141/
> >
> > Try to make it a work station instead of a server?
> >
> > <title>How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!</title>
> > http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ie.htm
> >

> > Good luck
> >
> > Robert
> > ---
> >

> > > --
> > > TheITMan

TheITMan

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
That was a workaround that is OK but for those having large numbers of
printers it would not be desirable.

More info.
- the problem affects only IE8. IE7, Firefox or other applications do not
show this problem. I tested it with WinXP, but Vista or Win2K3 Server are
also reported to show the problem.
- it happens only when a browser font is printed as graphics to the printer.
Printing pictures works well.
- the root of the problem is that the Internet Explorer 8 for unknown
reasons has problems rendering fonts with asymmetrical graphics resolutions,
that's why laser and thermal printers are not affected, as they have
symmetrical graphics resolutions (300x300 dpi, 600x600 dpi etc.)
- 9 needle printers are stronger affected than 24 needle printers, because
24 needle printers typically have a default resolution inside the driver of
180x180 dpi, which is symmetrical. But 24 needle printers can have
asymmetrical resolutions also, and if these are adjusted, 24 needle printers
will also show the problem.
- The larger the difference between horizontal and vertical resolution is,
the worse the printout gets
- TG line printers have a default resolution of 120x96 dpi and do not have
symmetrical resolutions in the driver, so that the printout will not look
good on those lineprinters.

Here is a solution that works:
I was able to successfully print a web page from IE8. The P7000 driver
supports the 144x120 resolution. Customers using IE8 should set the graphic
resolution, within the driver to 144x120 when printing web pages from IE8.
The steps to do that follow:

1. When the Print dialog open, click on Preferences
2. On the Printing Preferences dialog, click on Advanced
3. Under Graphics, click on Print Quality to get the drop down arrow. Click
on the arrow and select 120x144 BEST resolution
4. Click OK and then Print.

I am still waiting for MS to resolve their rendering issue.
--
TheITMan

"DavidMo" wrote:

> TheITMan, did your solution above ever resolve your issue with IE8 and dot
> matrix printing?
>
> "TheITMan" wrote:
>
> > The issue has been resolved pending further testing.
> > The Line matrix printer (Printronix P7xxx series) was reconfigured and
> > different driver loaded onto the PC.
> > It appears that using the Epson emulation (and Epson driver) might be a
> > solution.
> >
> > For Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista/2008, switch the printer to "Epson"
> > mode (from the front panel), Front Panel -> EMULATION -> Lineprinter+ ->
> > Printer Protocol -> Epson*, Don't forget to save it in the power-up config.
> > and use the "Epson FX-1050" driver that ships with Windows.
> > Note: Windows Vista/2008 users select the "Epson FX Series (136)" driver.
> >
> > --
> > TheITMan

> > > There is a newsgroup for Win2000 Printing but not for that OS.
> > >
> > > Perhaps you're seeing some security/obscurity "feechur"? ; }
> > >
> > > <title>Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration changes the browsing experience</title>
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/815141/
> > >
> > > Try to make it a work station instead of a server?
> > >
> > > <title>How to convert your Windows Server 2003... to a Workstation!</title>
> > > http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/ie.htm
> > >

> > > Good luck
> > >
> > > Robert
> > > ---

DavidMo

Re: Printing with IE8 and line matrix printers
Thanks for the info. We'll try it here... We too are waiting on a fix from
MS, but I can only imagine it will be forever b/f they release something...ugh