new laptop Bing hijack

margojh

new laptop Bing hijack

My new laptop with vista business & IE8 worked OK with google as home
page & search engine till last night. When I shut down it came up with
'finish update & close down' so accepted that.
This morning google will no longer search & live search defaults to
Bing. I have checked manage add-ons - search providers, There is only
live search there & I disabled it & tried to add google as a search
provider but it will not allow me to do this. How do I get rid of Bing &
Margo

--
margojh
Don Varnau

Re: new laptop Bing hijack
Hi,
Bing has replaced Live Search- that's not a surprise.

Now about Google...
Is there an error message when you attempt to add google?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"margojh" <tikiroa@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message

> My new laptop with vista business & IE8 worked OK with google as home
> page & search engine till last night. When I shut down it came up with
> 'finish update & close down' so accepted that.
> This morning google will no longer search & live search defaults to
> Bing. I have checked manage add-ons - search providers, There is only
> live search there & I disabled it & tried to add google as a search
> provider but it will not allow me to do this. How do I get rid of Bing &
> Margo
>
> -
> margojh

margojh

Re: new laptop Bing hijack

there is no error message clicking the add to Internet explorer button
just highlights it but no action.
Also when I search with bing many of the search result links fail to
work. I was looking for Illustrator tutorials. Only 2 links on the first
page worked & both went to paid tutorial sites Could not access the free
tutorials that I can access on my old computer.
Thanks for the reply
Margo

--
margojh
Don Varnau

Re: new laptop Bing hijack
Hi,
1. Uninstall the google toolbar and any other google programs/add-ons from
Control Panel> Programs and Features.

2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

3. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 2)
For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

4. Do you have a third-party security suite (Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee)
running? If you disable this program, do the problems resolve?

> Hi,
> Bing has replaced Live Search- that's not a surprise.
>
> Now about Google...
> Is there an error message when you attempt to add google?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]

> "margojh" <tikiroa@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> >
> > My new laptop with vista business & IE8 worked OK with google as home
> > page & search engine till last night. When I shut down it came up with
> > 'finish update & close down' so accepted that.
> > This morning google will no longer search & live search defaults to
> > Bing. I have checked manage add-ons - search providers, There is only
> > live search there & I disabled it & tried to add google as a search
> > provider but it will not allow me to do this. How do I get rid of Bing &
> > Margo

margojh

Re: new laptop Bing hijack

The only thing I have done with IE8 is to set google as my home page I
have no add-ons installed. I do not have the google tool bar. I never
use extra toolbars on IE.
I am using AVG free 8.5 free & winpatrol. Shutting both of those down
did not change anything
I have had the computer, Lenovo w700, only 10 days. I have not
downloaded anything to it. I had downloaded AVG & Winpatrol on my older
computer a few days before it arrived & installed them from a pen drive.
All was well until the update that was completed as I shut the computer
down a couple of nights ago.
AVG & Vista would have done automatic updates

I just did a Reset & that seems to have worked Never been into advanced
on IE8 & the reset is not there on IE6 which is on the older computer
Thanks for the help GREAT JOB & Much APPRECIATED
Now I can start to enjoy my new machine
Margo:smile::biggrin:

--
margojh