Launching URL handler application from IE8

Wolfram Roesler

Launching URL handler application from IE8
Hello,

I have an external application that handles gopher: links. Typing
something like "gopher://whatever" into "Start -> Run" launches
this application, and so does clicking gopher: links in Outlook.
Internet Explorer, however, when confronted with a link like

doesn't run the external application but tries to open the link
itself, which fails (maybe because it doesn't support the gopher
protocol anymore - but it's not supposed to, that's why I have
my external application. Which, by the way, has nothing to do
with the gopher protocol.)

How can I make IE run the external application?

I'm using IE8 on XP SP3.

Thanks
Wolfram Rösler
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Launching URL handler application from IE8
Hello,

Have you tried using your gopher program to re-register the gopher URL
prefix? If no such option, you may want to try reinstalling your gopher
program or perform a 'repair install' of the Gopher program, if it has such
a option.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have an external application that handles gopher: links. Typing
> something like "gopher://whatever" into "Start -> Run" launches
> this application, and so does clicking gopher: links in Outlook.
> Internet Explorer, however, when confronted with a link like

> doesn't run the external application but tries to open the link
> itself, which fails (maybe because it doesn't support the gopher
> protocol anymore - but it's not supposed to, that's why I have
> my external application. Which, by the way, has nothing to do
> with the gopher protocol.)
>
> How can I make IE run the external application?
>
> I'm using IE8 on XP SP3.
>
> Thanks
> Wolfram Rösler

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Launching URL handler application from IE8

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message news:Xns9C4A6598EEB23wrgrpde@news.albasani.net...
> Hello,
>
> I have an external application that handles gopher: links. Typing
> something like "gopher://whatever" into "Start -> Run" launches
> this application, and so does clicking gopher: links in Outlook.
> Internet Explorer, however, when confronted with a link like

> doesn't run the external application but tries to open the link
> itself, which fails (maybe because it doesn't support the gopher
> protocol anymore - but it's not supposed to, that's why I have
> my external application. Which, by the way, has nothing to do
> with the gopher protocol.)
>
> How can I make IE run the external application?

Try, in a cmd window:

ftype gopher

FWIW when I do that I see an association with IE
so to get rid of it I would try:

ftype gopher=

> I'm using IE8 on XP SP3.
>
> Thanks
> Wolfram Rsl

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Wolfram Roesler

Re: Launching URL handler application from IE8
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in

> Try, in a cmd window:
>
> ftype gopher

This properly displays the path to my application, but:

> FWIW when I do that I see an association with IE
> so to get rid of it I would try:
>
> ftype gopher=

this says "file type "gopher" not found, or no open command
assigned to that file type". Perhaps ftype doesn't work
properly with URL handlers?

Thanks for your help
W. Rösler
Wolfram Roesler

Re: Launching URL handler application from IE8
"Singapore Computer Service" <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com>
wrote in news:ObDfMzgBKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:

> Have you tried using your gopher program to re-register the gopher URL
> prefix? If no such option, you may want to try reinstalling your
> gopher program or perform a 'repair install' of the Gopher program, if
> it has such a option.

I checked it and the registry settings (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher) are
ok. Also, the gopher links work fine in the following places:

* Start -> Run -> "gopher://something"

* cmd.exe -> "start gopher://something"

* Type "gopher://something" in an Outlook e-mail message and click it

It might not be PC to mention it here but the gopher links also work
fine in the Chrome browser.

Perhaps IE requires some additional configuration, but which?

Thanks for your help
W. Rösler
Singapore Computer Service

Re: Launching URL handler application from IE8
Hello,

Check under

Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open\command and
ddeexec\application

whether the correct program is being referenced

> "Singapore Computer Service" <singaporecomputerusenet_1@bootstrike.com>
> wrote in news:ObDfMzgBKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl:
>
>> Have you tried using your gopher program to re-register the gopher URL
>> prefix? If no such option, you may want to try reinstalling your
>> gopher program or perform a 'repair install' of the Gopher program, if
>> it has such a option.

> I checked it and the registry settings (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher) are
> ok. Also, the gopher links work fine in the following places:
>
> * Start -> Run -> "gopher://something"
>
> * cmd.exe -> "start gopher://something"
>
> * Type "gopher://something" in an Outlook e-mail message and click it
>
> It might not be PC to mention it here but the gopher links also work
> fine in the Chrome browser.
>
> Perhaps IE requires some additional configuration, but which?
>
> Thanks for your help
> W. Rösler

Robert Aldwinckle

"Wolfram Roesler" <wr@spam.la> wrote in message news:Xns9C4AAE4C1788Bwrgrpde@news.albasani.net...
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in
>
>> Try, in a cmd window:
>>
>> ftype gopher

> This properly displays the path to my application, but:
>
>> FWIW when I do that I see an association with IE
>> so to get rid of it I would try:
>>
>> ftype gopher=

> this says "file type "gopher" not found, or no open command
> assigned to that file type". Perhaps ftype doesn't work
> properly with URL handlers?

I don't know and don't really want to do the experiment myself.

If you remove your URL handler does the IE one show up again?

Another thing to be aware of is that there can be differences
in the HKLM and HKCU branches, so perhaps yours is only in
one and IE is only in the other?

To check that you could use ProcMon.

A sufficient filter seems to be
Path Contains gopher
This is the only key ftype looks at:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open\command

That would be from the HKLM hive.

> Thanks for your help
> W. Rsl

HTH

Robert
---

Wolfram Roesler

wrote in news:eumWGwiBKHA.3368@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl:

> Check under
>
> Start > Run > Regedit > HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open\command and
> ddeexec\application
>
> whether the correct program is being referenced

Everything's fine in there. I have command only, no ddeexec.
In case someone wants to try:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher]
@="URL:My gopher client"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open\command]
@="notepad \"%1\""

Copy this into a .reg file and double-click it. Then, gopher links
should bring up notepad. You have to delete HKCR\gopher first because
of the ddeexec subkeys.

Thanks for your help
W. Rösler
Wolfram Roesler

> If you remove your URL handler does the IE one show up again?

When I delete HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher, IE comes up for all
gopher links, displaying an error message.

> Another thing to be aware of is that there can be differences
> in the HKLM and HKCU branches, so perhaps yours is only in
> one and IE is only in the other?

My gopher client is registered in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT only.

> To check that you could use ProcMon.
>
> A sufficient filter seems to be
> Path Contains gopher

When I click a gopher link, IE accesses the following keys:

HKCR\CLSID\{A4A1A128-768F-41E0-BF75-E4FDDD701CBA}
HKCR\CLSID\{B8DA6310-E19B-11D0-933C-00A0C90DCAA9}

I have no idea what these are about.

IE also tries to access

HKCU\Software\Classes\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\gopher
HKCR\PROTOCOLS\Name-Space Handler\gopher

but these don't exist. These two are all that "Path Contains
gopher" finds.

Perhaps I should register my gopher program in "Name-Space Handler",
but how?

> This is the only key ftype looks at:
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\gopher\shell\open\command

In there, everything is set up properly (see my other message).

Thanks for your help
Wolfram Rösler