IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites

Chris Helps

IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites
Hi

I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and returning
to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a hierarchical
folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites menu
extremely difficult to use.

Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
now only expand when desired?

Thanks,
Chris
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites
Only when desired.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Chris Helps wrote:
> Hi
>
> I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and returning
> to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a hierarchical
> folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
> automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites menu
> extremely difficult to use.
>
> Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
> give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
> now only expand when desired?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Chris Helps

Re: IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites
Thanks! I'll upgrade right away ...

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Only when desired.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Chris Helps wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and returning
> > to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a hierarchical
> > folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
> > automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites menu
> > extremely difficult to use.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
> > give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
> > now only expand when desired?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites
Hello,

Neither on IE6, IE7 nor IE8 can I reproduce this 'auto-expand-all-folders'
option in the Favorites side panel.

If you mean the window which comes when *adding* to Favorite, yes, IE8 still
does expand everything. In IE6, this behaviour does not exist.

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"Chris Helps" <Chris Helps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and
> returning
> to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a
> hierarchical
> folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
> automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites
> menu
> extremely difficult to use.
>
> Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
> give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
> now only expand when desired?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Donald Anadell

Re: IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites

"Chris Helps" <Chris Helps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and
> returning
> to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a
> hierarchical
> folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
> automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites
> menu
> extremely difficult to use.
>
> Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
> give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
> now only expand when desired?

No, my IE8 installations exhibit the same Expanded folder tree issue(when
using Add to Favorites) as was present with IE7.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thanks,
> Chris

Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 and Auto-Expanding Favorites
I wonder why we have different folder expansion experiences in IE 8.
Whether I open my Favorites from the Menu bar or the side bar, folders
and sub-folders only open when I select them.

In IE 7, folders opened all at once in the side bar (and would stay
opened until I closed them!). That was my chief reason for activating
the Menu bar in IE 7.

I don't use IE 8 all that much, so I don't keep many Favorites. Maybe if
I had a lot of Favorites, or if they were several sub-folders deep, I
would have a different experience.

Also, I have not tried to add a Favorite via the side bar. (I just don't
like side bars.) When I add via the Favorites menu I don't have
'auto-expansion'.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Donald Anadell wrote:
> "Chris Helps" <Chris Helps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and
>> returning
>> to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a
>> hierarchical
>> folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
>> automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites
>> menu
>> extremely difficult to use.
>>
>> Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had to
>> give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites folders
>> now only expand when desired?

> No, my IE8 installations exhibit the same Expanded folder tree issue(when
> using Add to Favorites) as was present with IE7.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

>> Thanks,
>> Chris

Donald Anadell

>I wonder why we have different folder expansion experiences in IE 8.
>Whether I open my Favorites from the Menu bar or the side bar, folders and
>sub-folders only open when I select them.
>
> In IE 7, folders opened all at once in the side bar (and would stay opened
> until I closed them!). That was my chief reason for activating the Menu
> bar in IE 7.
>
> I don't use IE 8 all that much, so I don't keep many Favorites. Maybe if I
> had a lot of Favorites, or if they were several sub-folders deep, I would
> have a different experience.

Hi Leonard,

Yes, this expanded folder tree issue when using Add to Favorites has been
around since the release of IE7. It apparently only affects those that have
a multitude of nested folders in Favorites. To my knowledge there has never
been published fix or workaround for those that experience this issue.
Personally I've adjusted to it)

Donald Anadell

> Also, I have not tried to add a Favorite via the side bar. (I just don't
> like side bars.) When I add via the Favorites menu I don't have
> 'auto-expansion'.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Donald Anadell wrote:
>> "Chris Helps" <Chris Helps@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I tries IE7 when it first came out, but wound up uninstalling and
>>> returning
>>> to IE6. Thed problems was I have my Favorites organized into a
>>> hierarchical
>>> folder structure with a lot of folder and subfolders, and IE7 would
>>> automatically expand all those hundreds of paths, making the Favorites
>>> menu
>>> extremely difficult to use.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, there was no way to turn this auto-expand off, so I had
>>> give up on IE7. Is this still the same in IE8, or do the Favorites
>>> folders
>>> now only expand when desired?

>> No, my IE8 installations exhibit the same Expanded folder tree issue(when
>> using Add to Favorites) as was present with IE7.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Chris