IE8 Delete All add-ins?

HillBilly

IE8 Delete All add-ins?
Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing problems
is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start adding
them back in?

VanguardLH

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
HillBilly wrote:

> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing problems
> is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start adding
> them back in?

Why is it impossible? If all of them are disabled (whether disabled
individually or all at once using no add-ons mode for IE), does your
unidentified problem remain? If the problem goes away with all add-ons
disabled then the obviously chore thereafter is to disabled them all
individually and then reenable them one at a time, retest, and continue
until the problem resurfaces at which point you know that the just prior
reenabled add-on is at fault.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
To determine which add-on is causing the problem, start IE in 'no
add-ons' mode, then add each add-on back, one at a time, restarting the
browser every time. Visit a web page where you previously experienced
your undescribed problem and see if the problem is still there.
Eventually you'll come across the add-on that is causing the problem.

It's tedious and boring, but it works. One way to (hopefully) shorten
the process is to start by adding back all the Microsoft add-ons at
once. This will tell you whether your problem is caused by a Microsoft
or a non-Microsoft add-on.

Without knowing what add-ons you have, I could not recommend running
your browser full-time with no add-ons. For example, many security
applications use an add-on.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

HillBilly wrote:
> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing
> problems is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted
> start adding them back in?

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

HillBilly wrote:
> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing
> problems
> is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start adding
> them back in?

...winston

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
Afaik...
...No.

Disable one at a time and enable same, or disable all at once(IE Reset on advance tab)
- the latter has other repercussions. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 before proceeding.

--
...winston
ms-mvp mail

"HillBilly" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:#9OMUxXBKHA.3556@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing problems
> is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start adding
> them back in?

HillBilly

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
IE8 on Vista SP3
I'm working on this thanks to all the comments.

* The malfunction does not persist when IE runs in No add-on mode
* I have not tried to reset advanced settings
* I have not booted into Safe Mode yet

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).
>
> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> HillBilly wrote:
>> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing
>> problems
>> is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start
>> adding
>> them back in?

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx (tips to
diagnose which Add-on's causing the behavior)

2. Doing a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737) will
disable/remove all Add-ons. Diagnose the troublemaker by re-enabling or
reinstalling Add-ons, one-by-one, until you find the troublemaker.

Tip: Start with any Adobe Add-ons.

HillBilly wrote:
> IE8 on Vista SP3
> I'm working on this thanks to all the comments.
>
> * The malfunction does not persist when IE runs in No add-on mode
> * I have not tried to reset advanced settings
> * I have not booted into Safe Mode yet

>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> HillBilly wrote:
>>> Since it is nearly impossible to determine which add-in is causing
>>> problems
>>> is it possible to simply delete them all and then when wanted start
>>> adding
>>> them back in?

HillBilly

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
Following the IE7 Reset support document --seems-- to have restored
performance --but-- Reset does NOT DELETE IE8 add-ons as the document
asserts. However, using the Manage add-ons Downloaded Controls selection
shows most of them are Disabled and selecting Downloaded Control shows all
listed controls as Enabled.

It will be much easier to re-enable Disabled add-ons now that most are
Disabled by Reset.

> 1. See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx (tips to
> diagnose which Add-on's causing the behavior)
>
> 2. Doing a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737) will
> disable/remove all Add-ons. Diagnose the troublemaker by re-enabling or
> reinstalling Add-ons, one-by-one, until you find the troublemaker.
>
> Tip: Start with any Adobe Add-ons.
>

> HillBilly wrote:
>> IE8 on Vista SP3
>> I'm working on this thanks to all the comments.
>>
>> * The malfunction does not persist when IE runs in No add-on mode
>> * I have not tried to reset advanced settings
>> * I have not booted into Safe Mode yet

>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>>> start
>>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>>
>>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>>> Add-ons; or
>>>
>>> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>>
>>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer's (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
>>>
>>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
>>>
>>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE8 Delete All add-ins?
I'm afraid doing a Reset does delete some add-ons. Obviously, it sounds
like you have none of those installed.