Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...

Tang T.C.

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
I am refering to image attachments to an email. Thanks for clarifying.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [x-post to OE General]
>
> Are you referring to images embedded in an email or image attachments to an
> email? (I suspect it's the latter).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Tang T.C. wrote:
> > Recently I upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.
> > I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP with SP3 installled.
> >
> > I encounter some problem opening image files directly from within Outlook
> > Express. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the default application used to
> > open the files.
> >
> > Initially there is no problem opening the files directly from Outlook
> > Express however sometimes after opening and closing images files a few
> > times, subsequently Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will not be able to
> > open
> > the images anymore. It only show the cursor turning into hourglass for a
> > few seconds but nothing happens after that.
> >
> > I went to search the Internet discussion forums for clues of why this
> > problem come about and its suggested remedy. Below is one such forum from
> > another user with exactly the same problem:
> >
> > http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...wont-open.html
> >
> > The user managed to resolve this issue only when he uninstall IE8 and
> > revert
> > to IE7. I followed all the suggestions mentioned by experts in the forum
> > but
> > is also not able to resolve the problem. Only after i revert back to IE7
> > then the problem is solved.
> >
> > So I confirmed that IE8 causes this problem or bug to occur. By the way, I
> > am curious to know whether Microsoft is going to release new updates for
> > IE8
> > which takes care of this compatibilty problem with Outllok Express 6.0?
> >
> > If there is alsready a fix can you let me know where can I download it
> > cause
> > my computer keeps alerting me to upgrade to IE8 in windows automatic
> > updates.
> >
> > Thank you very much

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
And do you have similar problems when opening other attachments (e.g., DOC;
PDF; TXT files) or is it just JPG/JPEG file attachments?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Tang T.C. wrote:
> I am refering to image attachments to an email. Thanks for clarifying.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [x-post to OE General]
>>
>> Are you referring to images embedded in an email or image attachments to
>> an
>> email? (I suspect it's the latter).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Tang T.C. wrote:
>>> Recently I upgraded to Internet Explorer 8.
>>> I am using Outlook Express 6 in Windows XP with SP3 installled.
>>>
>>> I encounter some problem opening image files directly from within
>>> Outlook
>>> Express. Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the default application used
>>> open the files.
>>>
>>> Initially there is no problem opening the files directly from Outlook
>>> Express however sometimes after opening and closing images files a few
>>> times, subsequently Windows Picture and Fax Viewer will not be able to
>>> open
>>> the images anymore. It only show the cursor turning into hourglass for
>>> few seconds but nothing happens after that.
>>>
>>> I went to search the Internet discussion forums for clues of why this
>>> problem come about and its suggested remedy. Below is one such forum
>>> from
>>> another user with exactly the same problem:
>>>
>>> http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/...wont-open.html
>>>
>>> The user managed to resolve this issue only when he uninstall IE8 and
>>> revert
>>> to IE7. I followed all the suggestions mentioned by experts in the forum
>>> but
>>> is also not able to resolve the problem. Only after i revert back to IE7
>>> then the problem is solved.
>>>
>>> So I confirmed that IE8 causes this problem or bug to occur. By the way,
>>> am curious to know whether Microsoft is going to release new updates for
>>> IE8
>>> which takes care of this compatibilty problem with Outllok Express 6.0?
>>>
>>> If there is alsready a fix can you let me know where can I download it
>>> cause
>>> my computer keeps alerting me to upgrade to IE8 in windows automatic
>>> updates.
>>>
>>> Thank you very much

Tang T.C.

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
I do not have similar problems when opening other attachments such as DOC or
PDF files.
And once I downloaded the image files onto my harddisk, I will not have any
problems opening the files subsequently with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.
The problem only happens when trying to open the attachment images directly
in Outlook Express.

I am using AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 Free Edition and have the most recent virus
definition files update. I am also using Zone Alarm Fire Wall program v8.0298
--- Free Edition. Yes these programs are running in the background when
Windows Update is installing IE8.

The pre-installed Anti-virus program that bundled with my laptop (purchased
Sep 05) was Norman but with only 1-year free trial. As I did not continue the
subscription I recall to have removed it some time in 2007 when I switched to
AVG. No Norman program is found to be in my computer when I checked "Add or
Remove Program".

By the way, I have not purposely created any restore point that predates the
install of IE8.
Will Windows created them automatically for subsequent system restoration?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> And do you have similar problems when opening other attachments (e.g., DOC;
> PDF; TXT files) or is it just JPG/JPEG file attachments?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>

> Tang T.C. wrote:
> > I am refering to image attachments to an email. Thanks for clarifying.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [x-post to OE General]
> >>
> >> Are you referring to images embedded in an email or image attachments to
> >> an
> >> email? (I suspect it's the latter).
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
> I am using AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 Free Edition and have the most recent virus
> definition files update. I am also using Zone Alarm Fire Wall program
> v8.0298 --- Free Edition.

1. OE Tools | Options | Security: Make certain that OE's running in the
Restricted Sites zone.

2. Uninstall AVG Free v8.5 then do a CUSTOM reinstall, opting out of
installing (a) all of the email scanning components, (b) the security
toolbar, (c) Search-Shield and (d) Active Surf-Shield.

If still no joy...

> ...Yes these programs are running in the background
> when Windows Update is installing IE8.

3. Disable AVG's Resident Shield, uninstall ZA Free & then enable the
Windows Firewall.

4. Uninstall IE8 and reboot twice.

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

5. Test opening JPG/JPEG attachments. If all is well and you want to
reinstall IE8, my personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

NB: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it. When you're prepared
to install IE8, double-click on the saved file.

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8, then check-in at
Windows Update and install any critical security updates offered.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

NB: Do not reinstall ZA Free until IE8's been reinstalled and everything's
working OK (e.g., image attachments).

Tang T.C. wrote:
> I do not have similar problems when opening other attachments such as DOC
> or
> PDF files.
> And once I downloaded the image files onto my harddisk, I will not have
> any
> problems opening the files subsequently with Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer.
> The problem only happens when trying to open the attachment images
> directly
> in Outlook Express.
>
> I am using AVG Anti-Virus 8.5 Free Edition and have the most recent virus
> definition files update. I am also using Zone Alarm Fire Wall program
> v8.0298 --- Free Edition. Yes these programs are running in the background
> when Windows Update is installing IE8.
>
> The pre-installed Anti-virus program that bundled with my laptop
> (purchased
> Sep 05) was Norman but with only 1-year free trial. As I did not continue
> the subscription I recall to have removed it some time in 2007 when I
> switched to AVG. No Norman program is found to be in my computer when I
> checked "Add or Remove Program".
>
> By the way, I have not purposely created any restore point that predates
> the
> install of IE8.
> Will Windows created them automatically for subsequent system restoration?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> And do you have similar problems when opening other attachments (e.g.,
>> DOC;
>> PDF; TXT files) or is it just JPG/JPEG file attachments?

>> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
>> have
>> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>>

>> Tang T.C. wrote:
>>> I am refering to image attachments to an email. Thanks for clarifying.

Tang T.C.

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
Hi, thank you very much for your recommendations, it is much appreciated.

By the way you mentioned to create a Restore Point manually, however the
link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 page could not be found. Do you
have a updated link? Thanks for your help.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> And do you have similar problems when opening other attachments (e.g.,
> >> DOC;
> >> PDF; TXT files) or is it just JPG/JPEG file attachments?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed IE8?
> >>
> >> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
> >> (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought it)?
> >>
> >> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you
> >> have
> >> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Re: Outlook Express can't display images sometimes ...
You're welcome.

The link is valid & working here; cf.
http://www.google.com/search?q=How+d...e=utf8&oe=utf8

Tang T.C. wrote:
> [...]

>>> virus
>>> definition files update. I am also using Zone Alarm Fire Wall program
>>> v8.0298 --- Free Edition. Yes these programs are running in the
>>> background
>>> when Windows Update is installing IE8.
>>>
>>> The pre-installed Anti-virus program that bundled with my laptop
>>> (purchased
>>> Sep 05) was Norman but with only 1-year free trial. As I did not
>>> continue
>>> the subscription I recall to have removed it some time in 2007 when I
>>> switched to AVG. No Norman program is found to be in my computer when I
>>> checked "Add or Remove Program".
>>>
>>> By the way, I have not purposely created any restore point that predates
>>> the
>>> install of IE8.
>>> Will Windows created them automatically for subsequent system

Robert Aldwinckle

"Tang T.C." <TangTC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A412DC17-9470-4AC0-9EF0-847BFAE55E4D@microsoft.com...
> Hi, thank you very much for your recommendations, it is much appreciated.
>
> By the way you mentioned to create a Restore Point manually, however the
> link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700 page could not be found.

Perhaps it is not available in your language?
See if you can get here and change your region setting temporarily
to United States. Then retry that link.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---