Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8

rystrom

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8
Ever since I installed IE8 on my 2 computers (One running Windows XP SP2
with IE8 and one running Windows 7 with IE8) I am frequently getting
"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" when I click a link or open IE
for the first time.

I have set my home page to Google.com and every time I open explorer I am
presented with the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Of
course if I hit F5 the page loads after the first or second time.

This also constantly happens when clicking links that opens up a new tab or
browser window. Clicking F5 loads the page. If I click "diagnose network" of
course no error is detected

I am using these 2 computers in 2 different locations so network issue
cannot be the problem and it started once upgrading to IE8 on the XP maching
and has always been there on the Windows 7 machine.

Suggestions welcome as I never experienced this with IE7 and it is starting
to get frustrating.

Thanks
Robert

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8
Hi,
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 1)
For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.

936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

4. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
solution.

IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

If some part of this advice helps with IE8 on XP, but not on Windows 7
Beta...
Windows 7 Beta Support Forums:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"rystrom" <rystrom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since I installed IE8 on my 2 computers (One running Windows XP SP2
> with IE8 and one running Windows 7 with IE8) I am frequently getting
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" when I click a link or open

IE
> for the first time.
>
> I have set my home page to Google.com and every time I open explorer I am
> presented with the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Of
> course if I hit F5 the page loads after the first or second time.
>
> This also constantly happens when clicking links that opens up a new tab

or
> browser window. Clicking F5 loads the page. If I click "diagnose network"

of
> course no error is detected
>
> I am using these 2 computers in 2 different locations so network issue
> cannot be the problem and it started once upgrading to IE8 on the XP

maching
> and has always been there on the Windows 7 machine.
>
> Suggestions welcome as I never experienced this with IE7 and it is

starting
> to get frustrating.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

If no go. see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service
"rystrom" <rystrom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ever since I installed IE8 on my 2 computers (One running Windows XP SP2
> with IE8 and one running Windows 7 with IE8) I am frequently getting
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" when I click a link or open
> IE
> for the first time.
>
> I have set my home page to Google.com and every time I open explorer I am
> presented with the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. Of
> course if I hit F5 the page loads after the first or second time.
>
> This also constantly happens when clicking links that opens up a new tab
> or
> browser window. Clicking F5 loads the page. If I click "diagnose network"
> of
> course no error is detected
>
> I am using these 2 computers in 2 different locations so network issue
> cannot be the problem and it started once upgrading to IE8 on the XP
> maching
> and has always been there on the Windows 7 machine.
>
> Suggestions welcome as I never experienced this with IE7 and it is
> starting
> to get frustrating.
>
> Thanks
> Robert

rystrom

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8
I uninstalled IE8 and back to IE7 again.

Not a single problem after that and the major memory leaks from iexplore.exe
are gone as well....
jay wonsettler

Problem with IE8 also
How did you uninstall IE8 and reinstall IE7. I have the same problem. I am currently being blocked from anthing google. Which is where my primary email is. I had to create a live email just to get replys from these blogs...

rystro wrote:

Re: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage - IE8
17-Jul-09

I uninstalled IE8 and back to IE7 again.

Not a single problem after that and the major memory leaks from iexplore.exe
are gone as well....

Web access to EnterpriseDB with Data Access Pages
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...terprised.aspx
FrankV

Re: Problem with IE8 also
Uninstall IE8 in add/remove and you are automatically back with IE7.

Frank