IE8 Won't display any pages - loads forever and image files don't

Landshark

IE8 Won't display any pages - loads forever and image files don't
I just installed IE8 and both my desktop (vista 64-bit ultimate) and my
laptop (vista 64 bit home premium) and I am having the issue on both machines.

If I open IE8 it tries to load msn.com as the default page. The problem is,
it never opens the page, there's no error message, and it just shows the

If I keep the browser open and then open a new tab, type in any website, it
will only load the page about 50% of the time, the rest of the time it just
hangs with the loading bar filling up forever. I never receive an error
message.

Also, after installing IE8 I noticed that many image files no longer load
(.jpg and .bmp specifically). All I get is a red X.

The same exact .jpg and .bmp files load perfectly fine using firefox or
chrome on both of these PC's. This is very frustrating as I do a lot of
graphic design work and need to be able to view images in a web browser.

Everything was working great until I installed IE8 and now web browsing
using IE8 is pretty much broken.

What changed with IE8 to make this be so difficult?
Don Varnau

Re: IE8 Won't display any pages - loads forever and image files don't
Hi,

1. Did you install the "MSN Optimized" version of IE8? You can uninstall
that version and install the regular version.

957700- How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/

IE8 Home http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx

Do the problems persist if you set a different or blank homepage?

2. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

3. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 1)
For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

4. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, look for a third-party program
as the cause.

936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

5. Third-party antivirus/antispyware programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer. If they weren't you may have a corrupted
installation of IE8. Reinstalling with these programs disabled may be the
solution.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Landshark" <Landshark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just installed IE8 and both my desktop (vista 64-bit ultimate) and my
> laptop (vista 64 bit home premium) and I am having the issue on both

machines.

> If I open IE8 it tries to load msn.com as the default page. The problem

is,
> it never opens the page, there's no error message, and it just shows the
>
> If I keep the browser open and then open a new tab, type in any website,

it
> will only load the page about 50% of the time, the rest of the time it

just
> hangs with the loading bar filling up forever. I never receive an error
> message.
>
> Also, after installing IE8 I noticed that many image files no longer load
> (.jpg and .bmp specifically). All I get is a red X.
>
> The same exact .jpg and .bmp files load perfectly fine using firefox or
> chrome on both of these PC's. This is very frustrating as I do a lot of
> graphic design work and need to be able to view images in a web browser.
>
> Everything was working great until I installed IE8 and now web browsing
> using IE8 is pretty much broken.
>
> What changed with IE8 to make this be so difficult?

Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE8 Won't display any pages - loads forever and image files don't
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time and see if the problem occurs again. Once it occurs again
after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

If no go. see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Regards,
Singapore Computer Home Repair Service