Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions

Scotirish

Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Good afternoon , Don.
While I am getting familiar with the IE 8, today I experienced a problem
that had not happened since the download/installation -- the graphics on my
home page and just about any site I go to, including MS/IE8 info, is "out of
sync." Picture and copy boxes are left blank, copy is not lined up properly
at all. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get it back to normal like it
was this morning and earlier?
Also, if you will, please go back to my question on Outlook Express and IE8
posed yesterday and see my last insert. I'm not quite sure we were on the
same page. This may clarify things better so you'll know exactly what I'm
trying to do.
Once again, thanks for any help you can give me on these two items.
Regards,
Scotirish 7/14/09 4:00 p.m. EST
Don Varnau

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Hi,
Page display problems...
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 1)
For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Good afternoon , Don.
> While I am getting familiar with the IE 8, today I experienced a problem
> that had not happened since the download/installation -- the graphics on

my
> home page and just about any site I go to, including MS/IE8 info, is "out

of
> sync." Picture and copy boxes are left blank, copy is not lined up

properly
> at all. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get it back to normal like

it
> was this morning and earlier?
> Also, if you will, please go back to my question on Outlook Express and

IE8
> posed yesterday and see my last insert. I'm not quite sure we were on the
> same page. This may clarify things better so you'll know exactly what I'm
> trying to do.
> Once again, thanks for any help you can give me on these two items.
> Regards,
> Scotirish 7/14/09 4:00 p.m. EST

Scotirish

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Hello again Don. I appreciate your reponses!

On your response below much of the material refers to IE7 whereas I have IE8
on Windows XP SP3 Home edition. Does all of these also apply to IE8?

Thanks,
Scotirish 7/15/09 12:05 p.m. EST

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Page display problems...
> 1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
> through this article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> data:
> IE PassView- NirSoft:
> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
>
> What a reset of IE settings will do:
> Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
>
> 2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
> step 1)
> For troubleshooting information see:
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>

> "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Good afternoon , Don.
> > While I am getting familiar with the IE 8, today I experienced a problem
> > that had not happened since the download/installation -- the graphics on

> my
> > home page and just about any site I go to, including MS/IE8 info, is "out

> of
> > sync." Picture and copy boxes are left blank, copy is not lined up

> properly
> > at all. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get it back to normal like

> it
> > was this morning and earlier?
> > Also, if you will, please go back to my question on Outlook Express and

> IE8
> > posed yesterday and see my last insert. I'm not quite sure we were on the
> > same page. This may clarify things better so you'll know exactly what I'm
> > trying to do.
> > Once again, thanks for any help you can give me on these two items.
> > Regards,
> > Scotirish 7/14/09 4:00 p.m. EST

Don Varnau

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Hi,
Yes. Manage add-ons appeared with IE7. There are minor differences, but the
basic processes of managing add-ons or resetting IE settings are the same.

> Hello again Don. I appreciate your reponses!
>
> On your response below much of the material refers to IE7 whereas I have

IE8
> on Windows XP SP3 Home edition. Does all of these also apply to IE8?
>
> Thanks,
> Scotirish 7/15/09 12:05 p.m. EST

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Page display problems...
> > 1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons,

work
> > through this article:
> > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >
> > Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> > data:
> > IE PassView- NirSoft:
> > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
> >
> > What a reset of IE settings will do:
> > Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

> > 2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered

in
> > step 1)
> > For troubleshooting information see:
> >
> > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

add-on
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
> >
> > Problem: Crashes or hangs
> > http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

> > "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Good afternoon , Don.
> > > While I am getting familiar with the IE 8, today I experienced a

problem
> > > that had not happened since the download/installation -- the graphics

on
> > my
> > > home page and just about any site I go to, including MS/IE8 info, is

"out
> > of
> > > sync." Picture and copy boxes are left blank, copy is not lined up

> > properly
> > > at all. Do you have any ideas as to how I can get it back to normal

like
> > it
> > > was this morning and earlier?
> > > Also, if you will, please go back to my question on Outlook Express

and
> > IE8
> > > posed yesterday and see my last insert. I'm not quite sure we were on

the
> > > same page. This may clarify things better so you'll know exactly what

I'm
> > > trying to do.
> > > Once again, thanks for any help you can give me on these two items.
> > > Regards,
> > > Scotirish 7/14/09 4:00 p.m. EST

Scotirish

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Thanks, Don. I checked out one of the links. Also, I right clicked on the
tiny logo in one of the picture boxes and found I could bring up the pictures
that way (Show the Pictures). But, too time consuming, plus it didn't
straighten out the stories' paragraphs, etc. Went to Tools>Internet
Options>Advanced tab and looked for picture references. Found under
Multimedia the box for "Show Pictures" was unchecked for some reason. Once
checked, this straightened out my home pages, other web sites and graphics in
email. So, everything is fine now on this point.

Before leaving you, I have one other question regarding IE8. My wife still
has IE6 on her laptop (Windows XP Professional SP3). If she wants to put IE8
on her computer, does she have to do IE7 first or can she just upgrade
directly from IE6 to IE8?

Regards,
Scotirish 7/16/09 11:35 a.m. EST

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Yes. Manage add-ons appeared with IE7. There are minor differences, but the
> basic processes of managing add-ons or resetting IE settings are the same.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello again Don. I appreciate your reponses!
> >
> > On your response below much of the material refers to IE7 whereas I have

> IE8
> > on Windows XP SP3 Home edition. Does all of these also apply to IE8?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scotirish 7/15/09 12:05 p.m. EST

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Page display problems...
> > > 1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > > passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons,

> work
> > > through this article:
> > > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us
> > >
> > > Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
> > > data:
> > > IE PassView- NirSoft:
> > > http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html
> > >
> > > What a reset of IE settings will do:
> > > Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
> > >

> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx
> > >
> > > 2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered

> in
> > > step 1)
> > > For troubleshooting information see:
> > >
> > > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> > >
> > > 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

> add-on
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
> > >
> > > Problem: Crashes or hangs
> > > http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

> > > "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> problem

> on
> > > my

> "out
> > > of
> > > properly

> like
> > > it

> and
> > > IE8

> the

> I'm

Don Varnau

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Sorry... I forgot the obvious "Display images" option. Glad you thought of
it. ;-)

Yes, you can install IE8 on XP SP3/IE6. Third-party antivirus/antispyware
programs should be disabled when
installing Internet Explorer.
See: IEBlog IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

More important information at:
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html

newsA151A15-79DF-419E-B0B9-E4D086208A4E@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, Don. I checked out one of the links. Also, I right clicked on the
> tiny logo in one of the picture boxes and found I could bring up the

pictures
> that way (Show the Pictures). But, too time consuming, plus it didn't
> straighten out the stories' paragraphs, etc. Went to Tools>Internet
> Options>Advanced tab and looked for picture references. Found under
> Multimedia the box for "Show Pictures" was unchecked for some reason.

Once
> checked, this straightened out my home pages, other web sites and graphics

in
> email. So, everything is fine now on this point.
>
> Before leaving you, I have one other question regarding IE8. My wife

still
> has IE6 on her laptop (Windows XP Professional SP3). If she wants to put

IE8
> on her computer, does she have to do IE7 first or can she just upgrade
> directly from IE6 to IE8?
>
> Regards,
> Scotirish 7/16/09 11:35 a.m. EST

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Yes. Manage add-ons appeared with IE7. There are minor differences, but

the
> > basic processes of managing add-ons or resetting IE settings are the

same.

> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Scotirish" <Scotirish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello again Don. I appreciate your reponses!
> > >
> > > On your response below much of the material refers to IE7 whereas I

have
> > IE8
> > > on Windows XP SP3 Home edition. Does all of these also apply to IE8?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Scotirish 7/15/09 12:05 p.m. EST

as

add-ons,
> > work

login

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

covered
> > in

Mode:

> > add-on

> > problem

graphics
> > on my

is
> > "out of

up

normal
> > like it

Express
> > and IE8

were on
> > the

what
> > I'm trying to do.

items.

Scotirish

Re: Don Varnau: Re IE8 Questions
Good morning, Don.

Thanks for the advice re download of IE8 over IE6. Gee, I didn't disable
the a/v and spyware software when I went to IE8, but guess it worked out O.K.
It looks like Microsoft would provide some download/installation
instructions (do's and don'ts) somewhere on the web. Never saw anything
close to that.

Again, I appeciate your help and the time you have taken to provide it to me.

Regards,
Scotirish 7/17/09 9:10 a.m. EST

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> [...]

> Once
> > checked, this straightened out my home pages, other web sites and graphics

> in
> > email. So, everything is fine now on this point.
> >
> > Before leaving you, I have one other question regarding IE8. My wife

> still
> > has IE6 on her laptop (Windows XP Professional SP3). If she wants to put

> IE8
> > on her computer, does she have to do IE7 first or can she just upgrade
> > directly from IE6 to IE8?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Scotirish 7/16/09 11:35 a.m. EST

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Yes. Manage add-ons appeared with IE7. There are minor differences, but

> the
> > > basic processes of managing add-ons or resetting IE settings are the

You're welcome.

> Good morning, Don.
>
> Thanks for the advice re download of IE8 over IE6. Gee, I didn't disable
> the a/v and spyware software when I went to IE8, but guess it worked out

O.K.
> It looks like Microsoft would provide some download/installation
> instructions (do's and don'ts) somewhere on the web. Never saw anything
> close to that.
>
> Again, I appeciate your help and the time you have taken to provide it to

me.

> Regards,
> Scotirish 7/17/09 9:10 a.m. EST

[snip]