Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

MS09-019 bug mshtml version in IE7

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2009
Chuck Williams
 

Posts: n/a
MS09-019 bug mshtml version in IE7
I ran into an issue with IE7 crashing on a users machine while accessing a
particular website. The error faulted on mshtml.dll. After some research I
found that the user was using mshtml version 7.0.6000.16850

After searching the software distribution folder on that machine I found a
version of the file that was 7.0.6000.21045. This file is part of the
MS09-019 Cumulative Updates for Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897

After I replaced the file the website no longer crashed IE.

I have 50+ computers at this site and none running Windows XP have applied
this dll file properly.

I have checked other sites too and this is the same on all computers I have
encountered.

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...orer. general
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS09-019 bug mshtml version in IE7
MSHTML.DLL v7.0.6000.21045 was the QFE version installed by
MS09-019/KB969897. v7.0.6000.16850 is the GDR version of the same update.
There was a specific reason Automatic Updates (or WSUS, as the case may be)
installed the QFE version on this machine so replacing it with the GDR
version may have caused other problems.

You should replace the GDR version with the original QFE version then take
this up with MS Support:

=> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
through your usual support contacts.

=> For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

PS: 99% of the time, errors involving MSHTML.DLL are caused by Add-ons
and/or hijackware infections!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net


Chuck Williams wrote:
> I ran into an issue with IE7 crashing on a users machine while accessing a
> particular website. The error faulted on mshtml.dll. After some research I
> found that the user was using mshtml version 7.0.6000.16850
>
> After searching the software distribution folder on that machine I found a
> version of the file that was 7.0.6000.21045. This file is part of the
> MS09-019 Cumulative Updates for Internet Explorer
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
>
> After I replaced the file the website no longer crashed IE.
>
> I have 50+ computers at this site and none running Windows XP have applied
> this dll file properly.
>
> I have checked other sites too and this is the same on all computers I
> have
> encountered.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 07-14-2009
Chuck Williams
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS09-019 bug mshtml version in IE7
According to what you wrote below I did replace the GDR version with the QFE
version. All the computers I encounter run the GDR version of v7.0.6000.18650
not the QFE. I replace the file with the v7.0.6000.71045 file to fix the
issue.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> MSHTML.DLL v7.0.6000.21045 was the QFE version installed by
> MS09-019/KB969897. v7.0.6000.16850 is the GDR version of the same update.
> There was a specific reason Automatic Updates (or WSUS, as the case may be)
> installed the QFE version on this machine so replacing it with the GDR
> version may have caused other problems.
>
> You should replace the GDR version with the original QFE version then take
> this up with MS Support:
>
> => For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
>
> => For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
> subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
> Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>
> PS: 99% of the time, errors involving MSHTML.DLL are caused by Add-ons
> and/or hijackware infections!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>
>
> Chuck Williams wrote:
> > I ran into an issue with IE7 crashing on a users machine while accessing a
> > particular website. The error faulted on mshtml.dll. After some research I
> > found that the user was using mshtml version 7.0.6000.16850
> >
> > After searching the software distribution folder on that machine I found a
> > version of the file that was 7.0.6000.21045. This file is part of the
> > MS09-019 Cumulative Updates for Internet Explorer
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
> >
> > After I replaced the file the website no longer crashed IE.
> >
> > I have 50+ computers at this site and none running Windows XP have applied
> > this dll file properly.
> >
> > I have checked other sites too and this is the same on all computers I
> > have
> > encountered.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 07-15-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: MS09-019 bug mshtml version in IE7
My apologies, you're right. You replaced the GDR version with the QFE
version. Nevertheless, the balance of my last reply still holds: There is a
reason the QFE version wasn't installed and the fact that the QFE version
resolves whatever problems this user was having suggests an incompatible
Add-on or an infection, neither of which were present when KB969897 was
installed.

As such, you should take this up with MS Support as the next Cumulative
Security Update for IE release may not install properly if the detection
engine "sees" the QFE version of MSHTML.DLL but the GDR versions of all
other IE files.


Chuck Williams wrote:
> According to what you wrote below I did replace the GDR version with the
> QFE
> version. All the computers I encounter run the GDR version of
> v7.0.6000.18650 not the QFE. I replace the file with the v7.0.6000.71045
> file to fix the issue.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> MSHTML.DLL v7.0.6000.21045 was the QFE version installed by
>> MS09-019/KB969897. v7.0.6000.16850 is the GDR version of the same
>> update.
>> There was a specific reason Automatic Updates (or WSUS, as the case may
>> be)
>> installed the QFE version on this machine so replacing it with the GDR
>> version may have caused other problems.
>>
>> You should replace the GDR version with the original QFE version then
>> take
>> this up with MS Support:
>>
>> => For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
>> through your usual support contacts.
>>
>> => For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary for security update support issues, visit the International
>> Support Web site: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
>>
>> PS: 99% of the time, errors involving MSHTML.DLL are caused by Add-ons
>> and/or hijackware infections!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>>
>>
>> Chuck Williams wrote:
>>> I ran into an issue with IE7 crashing on a users machine while accessing
>>> a
>>> particular website. The error faulted on mshtml.dll. After some research
>>> I
>>> found that the user was using mshtml version 7.0.6000.16850
>>>
>>> After searching the software distribution folder on that machine I found
>>> a
>>> version of the file that was 7.0.6000.21045. This file is part of the
>>> MS09-019 Cumulative Updates for Internet Explorer
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897
>>>
>>> After I replaced the file the website no longer crashed IE.
>>>
>>> I have 50+ computers at this site and none running Windows XP have
>>> applied
>>> this dll file properly.
>>>
>>> I have checked other sites too and this is the same on all computers I
>>> have
>>> encountered.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MS09-012 - Important: Vulnerabilities in Windows Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (959454) - Version:1.1 Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 04-18-2009 02:30
MS09-008 Ô?? Important: Vulnerabilities in DNS and WINS Server Could Allow Spoofing (962238) - Version:1.1 Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 04-18-2009 02:30
MS09-007 - Important: Vulnerability in SChannel Could Allow Spoofing (960225) - Version:1.0 Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 04-18-2009 02:30
MS09-002 - Critical: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (961260) - Version:1.1 Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 04-18-2009 02:30
MS09-001 - Critical: Vulnerabilities in SMB Could Allow Remote Code Execution (958687) - Version:1.0 Steve Microsoft Security Bulletins 0 04-18-2009 02:30




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:20.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120