Red X in Graphics on some web sites

RJohnson

Red X in Graphics on some web sites
In IE 8.0 but not 7.0 I get a red x where a graphic chart should be. This
problem is not on all pages at web site ino.com. I have turned off antivirus
and firewall software with no difference (I had thought that this was causing
the problem). It seems when I change the View, Encoding to Western European
(Windows) I don't have the problem. I can go to different pages and the
charts show. Then when I do have a chart with a red X, I go back to View and
the encoding had automatically changed to Western European (ISO). Two
questions...why is the Encoding automatically changing back to Western
European (ISO) and why do I only have this problem in IE 8.0 and not 7.0?
Compatibility mode makes no difference for this web site.

Yesterday I got an email from Microsoft titled Microsoft Download
Notifications and the graphics across the top had the red x but the graphics
below were normal. Why does it do that?

Thanks,
RJ
RJohnson

Re: Red X in Graphic s on some web sites
I ran the Norton removal tool before inimstallin and reinstalling IE8.0.

There is no 3rd part window theme installed.

I have deleted Temp files. I do that at least twice a day.

The link you had listed opened and showed the chart with no Red X.

I spent 2 hours this morning talking to Microsoft in India. So far they
cannot find the problem. They are calling me back this afternoon.

RJ

Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > I assumed from that remark you were getting red X's also.

> Your assumption was incorrect: I was merely asking what you saw there.
>
> > I have completely uninstalled Norton Internet Security and IE8.0. There
> > were no Red X's on the INO.com web site charts with IE7.0. I then
> > reinstalled IE8.0 and the very first page I opened on the INO.com web site
> > had a Red X where a graphic chart should have been.

> Did you also download/run the Norton Removal tool before uninstalling and
> then reinstalling IE8?
>
> Is a third-party Windows Theme installed?
>
> Have you tried deleting Temporary Internet Files?
>
> What do you see when you open this page? =>
> http://quotes.ino.com/chart/intraday...f&w=15&a=2&v=w
>
> More...
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE in No Add-ons mode:

> Add-ons; or

> Explorer (No add-ons).

> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> RJohnson wrote:
> > Below is your reply on 7/13/09 on this thread.
> > "On the http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYMEX_CL.Q09 page, do you see three
> > (3) red X's, one of the left-hand size directly under the Quote Search box
> > and two directly underneath the chart?" I assumed from that remark you
> > were
> > getting red X's also.
> >
> > I have completely uninstalled Norton Internet Security and IE8.0. There
> > were no Red X's on the INO.com web site charts with IE7.0. I then
> > reinstalled IE8.0 and the very first page I opened on the INO.com web site
> > had a Red X where a graphic chart should have been. I still have not
> > installed Norton Internet Security. I'm going to call Microsoft, and if I
> > don't get any help there I'm going back to IE7.0. Sometime when I have
> > lots
> > of time I might do a reinstall of XP.
> >
> > RJ
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I suspect you may have seen my reply to another poster here who's also
> >> running a Norton app. You should NOT follow any instructions or
> >> suggestions I've posted in any thread but your own.

Re: Red X in Graphic s on some web sites
TEMP files and Temporary Internet Files are not necessarily the same thing.

The link I posted was to the chart embedded on this page:
http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYMEX_CL.Q09 If you could see the separate
GIF image of the chart, you should be able to see the chart on the page.
The fact that you don't suggests that an Add-on may be causing the behavior.
See #1 through #3 in my previous reply.

RJohnson wrote:
> I ran the Norton removal tool before inimstallin and reinstalling IE8.0.
>
> There is no 3rd part window theme installed.
>
> I have deleted Temp files. I do that at least twice a day.
>
> The link you had listed opened and showed the chart with no Red X.
>
> I spent 2 hours this morning talking to Microsoft in India. So far they
> cannot find the problem. They are calling me back this afternoon.
>
> PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> I assumed from that remark you were getting red X's also.

>> Your assumption was incorrect: I was merely asking what you saw there.
>>
>>> I have completely uninstalled Norton Internet Security and IE8.0. There
>>> were no Red X's on the INO.com web site charts with IE7.0. I then
>>> reinstalled IE8.0 and the very first page I opened on the INO.com web
>>> site
>>> had a Red X where a graphic chart should have been.

>> Did you also download/run the Norton Removal tool before uninstalling and
>> then reinstalling IE8?
>>
>> Is a third-party Windows Theme installed?
>>
>> Have you tried deleting Temporary Internet Files?
>>
>> What do you see when you open this page? =>
>> http://quotes.ino.com/chart/intraday...f&w=15&a=2&v=w
>>
>> More...
>>
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:

>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> RJohnson wrote:
>>> Below is your reply on 7/13/09 on this thread.
>>> "On the http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYMEX_CL.Q09 page, do you see
>>> three
>>> (3) red X's, one of the left-hand size directly under the Quote Search
>>> box
>>> and two directly underneath the chart?" I assumed from that remark you
>>> were
>>> getting red X's also.
>>>
>>> I have completely uninstalled Norton Internet Security and IE8.0. There
>>> were no Red X's on the INO.com web site charts with IE7.0. I then
>>> reinstalled IE8.0 and the very first page I opened on the INO.com web
>>> site
>>> had a Red X where a graphic chart should have been. I still have not
>>> installed Norton Internet Security. I'm going to call Microsoft, and if
>>> don't get any help there I'm going back to IE7.0. Sometime when I have
>>> lots
>>> of time I might do a reinstall of XP.
>>>
>>> RJ

RJohnson

Re: Red X in Graphic s on some web sites
I delete Temp files and Internet files at least twice a day, sometimes as
many as four.

I do see the GIF image and then the chart on the link you gave.

I spent 4 hours today talking to Microsoft tech support. They could not fix
the problem. They feel that there is something wrong with the web site in
its's inneraction with IE8.0. They are going to work on it and asked me to
install IE8.0 in 30 days and see if the problem still exist. The case is
still open and if I still have the problem I'm to call back.

RJ

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> TEMP files and Temporary Internet Files are not necessarily the same thing.
>
> The link I posted was to the chart embedded on this page:
> http://quotes.ino.com/chart/?s=NYMEX_CL.Q09 If you could see the separate
> GIF image of the chart, you should be able to see the chart on the page.
> The fact that you don't suggests that an Add-on may be causing the behavior.
> See #1 through #3 in my previous reply.
>

> RJohnson wrote:
> > I ran the Norton removal tool before inimstallin and reinstalling IE8.0.
> >
> > There is no 3rd part window theme installed.
> >
> > I have deleted Temp files. I do that at least twice a day.
> >
> > The link you had listed opened and showed the chart with no Red X.
> >
> > I spent 2 hours this morning talking to Microsoft in India. So far they
> > cannot find the problem. They are calling me back this afternoon.

> >> Your assumption was incorrect: I was merely asking what you saw there.

> >> Did you also download/run the Norton Removal tool before uninstalling and
> >> then reinstalling IE8?
> >>
> >> Is a third-party Windows Theme installed?
> >>
> >> Have you tried deleting Temporary Internet Files?
> >>
> >> What do you see when you open this page? =>
> >> http://quotes.ino.com/chart/intraday...f&w=15&a=2&v=w
> >>
> >> More...
> >>
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> >> when posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> 1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> => Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> 2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> 3. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]

Robert Aldwinckle

"RJohnson" <RJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE5EE4EF-F905-45EF-840D-6DB671E595F2@microsoft.com...
> In IE 8.0 but not 7.0 I get a red x where a graphic chart should be. This
> problem is not on all pages at web site ino.com. I have turned off antivirus
> and firewall software with no difference (I had thought that this was causing
> the problem). It seems when I change the View, Encoding to Western European
> (Windows) I don't have the problem. I can go to different pages and the
> charts show. Then when I do have a chart with a red X, I go back to View and
> the encoding had automatically changed to Western European (ISO).

> Two questions...why is the Encoding automatically changing back to Western
> European (ISO)

Why don't you have Auto-select checked? In any case changing the
encoding could have the same effect as a refresh.

BTW an F5 Refresh is probably a more intensive reshow than you need.
E.g. loading your Home page and going back to the problem page
(press Alt-Home, Alt-CursorLeft for example) can result in less network
overhead (especially when your Home page is about:Blank <w>).
Use Fiddler2 to see the difference in terms of GET requests.

> and why do I only have this problem in IE 8.0 and not 7.0?

IE8 seems to have more stringent standards for what it accepts.
Use its Developer Tools, Image Report (F12, Alt-I, R and Alt-Tab)
and see if the images show in there or if you get messages that
they are "bad". Again, Fiddler2 can show images that IE8 declares "bad".
So another thing that could be causing this a image file truncation,
e.g. due to incompatible MTU size. Note that if that is the cause
it might be an idea to set Work Offline before trying to generate
an Image Report otherwise you might be getting the same effect
as a refresh from that. Again, if you had Fiddler tracing both
the original and second GET response you would have some
information about the lengths of the files involved.

Regardless of what you find out from using IE8's diagnostics
note that you could also use Fiddler2 to try to spot any differences
between traces of IE7 and IE8 doing the same requests. ; )

> Compatibility mode makes no difference for this web site.
>
> Yesterday I got an email from Microsoft titled Microsoft Download
> Notifications and the graphics across the top had the red x but the graphics
> below were normal. Why does it do that?

Again, you could try using the Image Report to get a better symptom
description. E.g. different servers could be involved. Even if the URLs
show the same server if your symptom was for borderline connectivity
it could just be showing that the first request had, in a sense, paved
the way for the second request and thus made the second image
more accessible. Etc.

> Thanks,
> RJ

Good luck