Inhibit Update To IE 8

Abradaxis

Inhibit Update To IE 8
I have automatic updates turned on, and on two occasions I had to stop the
updating process of IE7 to IE8. There are so many bad reports out currently
about the performance of XP after the install of IE8 that I would prefer to
wait until the bugs are ironed out. But I want to continue automatic
updating. So how can I inhibit the installation of IE8 while still
maintaining automatic updating? Thanks for any suggestions.

choro

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
When the available updates are listed...

1- Click the + check box and then...
2- Tick the "Don't show this update again" box.

There is provision to show the updates you have thus hidden if you change
your mind later on.
--
choro
*******
"Abradaxis" <jsindler@career-objectives.com> wrote in message
>I have automatic updates turned on, and on two occasions I had to stop the
>updating process of IE7 to IE8. There are so many bad reports out currently
>about the performance of XP after the install of IE8 that I would prefer to
>wait until the bugs are ironed out. But I want to continue automatic
>updating. So how can I inhibit the installation of IE8 while still
>maintaining automatic updating? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

Abradaxis wrote:
> I have automatic updates turned on, and on two occasions I had to stop the
> updating process of IE7 to IE8. There are so many bad reports out
> currently
> about the performance of XP after the install of IE8 that I would prefer
> wait until the bugs are ironed out. But I want to continue automatic
> updating. So how can I inhibit the installation of IE8 while still
> maintaining automatic updating? Thanks for any suggestions.

Abradaxis

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
Thanks, but I can't seen to follow your directions. Please see below
> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)

EVERTYTHING GOOD UNTIL NOW. BUT WHERE DOES THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER COME IN?
DO I FIND IT INDEPENDENTLY ON MY HARD DISK. THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE
ANYPLACE TO LOCATE A FOLDER ON THE WINDOW THAT I FOUND ACCORDING TO YOUR
DIRECTIONS ABOVE.
PLEASE CLARIFY, AND THANKS.
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Abradaxis wrote:
>> I have automatic updates turned on, and on two occasions I had to stop
>> the
>> updating process of IE7 to IE8. There are so many bad reports out
>> currently
>> about the performance of XP after the install of IE8 that I would prefer
>> wait until the bugs are ironed out. But I want to continue automatic
>> updating. So how can I inhibit the installation of IE8 while still
>> maintaining automatic updating? Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
1. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' per this tutorial:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html

2. Open Windows Explorer [WinKey+E] to
C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download <=this folder and delete its
contents.

Abradaxis wrote:
> Thanks, but I can't seen to follow your directions. Please see below
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)

> EVERTYTHING GOOD UNTIL NOW. BUT WHERE DOES THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER COME IN?
> DO I FIND IT INDEPENDENTLY ON MY HARD DISK. THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE
> ANYPLACE TO LOCATE A FOLDER ON THE WINDOW THAT I FOUND ACCORDING TO YOUR
> DIRECTIONS ABOVE.
> PLEASE CLARIFY, AND THANKS.
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
>> again").
>>
>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Abradaxis wrote:
>>> I have automatic updates turned on, and on two occasions I had to stop
>>> the
>>> updating process of IE7 to IE8. There are so many bad reports out
>>> currently
>>> about the performance of XP after the install of IE8 that I would prefer
>>> wait until the bugs are ironed out. But I want to continue automatic
>>> updating. So how can I inhibit the installation of IE8 while still
>>> maintaining automatic updating? Thanks for any suggestions.

Abradaxis

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
That did the trick. As soon as all the griping about IE8 quiets down, I'll
download it. Thanks for the help!
> 1. Enable 'Show Hidden Files and Folders' per this tutorial:
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial62.html
>
> 2. Open Windows Explorer [WinKey+E] to
> C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download <=this folder and delete its
> contents.
>
> Abradaxis wrote:
>> Thanks, but I can't seen to follow your directions. Please see below
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)

>> EVERTYTHING GOOD UNTIL NOW. BUT WHERE DOES THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER COME IN?
>> DO I FIND IT INDEPENDENTLY ON MY HARD DISK. THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE
>> ANYPLACE TO LOCATE A FOLDER ON THE WINDOW THAT I FOUND ACCORDING TO YOUR
>> DIRECTIONS ABOVE.
>> PLEASE CLARIFY, AND THANKS.
>>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>>> Close the window.
>>>
>>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>>> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
>>> again").
>>>
>>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>>
>>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Inhibit Update To IE 8
YW & thanks for your feedback.

Please understand that millions have installed IE8 without encountering any
problems. Only those who have encountered problems tend to post here. It's
similar to when you buy a new car: If you love it, you'll tell a few people;
but if it's a lemon, you'll gripe about it to anyone within earshot. <wink>