IE 8 fiasco

Banner

IE 8 fiasco
Points :

1. I find IE 8 a disaster.

2. Can’t get rid of it and revert to IE 7 – OK, found it!

3. Can’t get rid of “Bing” – whatever that is (I neither know nor care) -
oh, Now it seems it has morphed into Google for some unknowm reason.

4. Can’t get rid of the whole Yahoo tool bar which is useless and a waste of
screen real estate.

5. Can’t get rid of the whole tool bar beginning with “Favorites."

6. Are you folks now pushing other browsers (such as Firefox) for some weird
corporate reason? I cannot see why you would, but IE 8 certainly does that.

7. Continuing trend to target Windows interface to kids and away from one
suitable for adult users : e.g., “My documents”, “My music”, “My pictures”,
etc. Yeah, one wonders where to find “My little pony”? And to whom does “My”
refer anyway?

8. Also the cute little star for “Favorites” – must we?

9. Kiddie stuff is fine if you aren't constantly forced to use it.

10. "CHANGE IS NOT NECESSARILY PROGRESS!"
Peter Foldes

Re: IE 8 fiasco
Might as well give up progress and computers. IE12 will be to your liking.

--
Peter

"Banner" <Banner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Points :
>
> 1. I find IE 8 a disaster.
>
> 2. Can’t get rid of it and revert to IE 7 – OK, found it!
>
> 3. Can’t get rid of “Bing” – whatever that is (I neither know nor care) -
> oh, Now it seems it has morphed into Google for some unknowm reason.
>
> 4. Can’t get rid of the whole Yahoo tool bar which is useless and a waste of
> screen real estate.
>
> 5. Can’t get rid of the whole tool bar beginning with “Favorites."
>
> 6. Are you folks now pushing other browsers (such as Firefox) for some weird
> corporate reason? I cannot see why you would, but IE 8 certainly does that.
>
> 7. Continuing trend to target Windows interface to kids and away from one
> suitable for adult users : e.g., “My documents”, “My music”, “My pictures”,
> etc. Yeah, one wonders where to find “My little pony”? And to whom does “My”
> refer anyway?
>
> 8. Also the cute little star for “Favorites” – must we?
>
> 9. Kiddie stuff is fine if you aren't constantly forced to use it.
>
> 10. "CHANGE IS NOT NECESSARILY PROGRESS!"

G. R. Woodring

Re: IE 8 fiasco
(1) Disaster? People DIE in disasters. Nothing about IE8 should even make
anyone cry.

(2) Glad you found it. Add/Remove Programs has been there since Windows95.

(3) It's a search site, similar to Google. Click the little down-arrow by the
search button (magnifying glass) and set the default or get other search
plug-ins. I kind of like it, I've made bing the default in IE8 and Firefox.

(4) What has this to do with IE8? Ask Yahoo how to get rid of it.

(5) [View]>[Toolbars], un-check "Favorites Bar".

(6) Firefox's selling points are "Standards Compliance" and customizability.
EI8 is the closest it has ever been to competing on those points.

(7) What does any of this have to do with IE8.

(8) It's an icon, what would you want? Should all of the icons be just gray
squares? That defeats the intent of "icon".

(9) That damnable paper clip and the search puppy are gone from my machine. You
can do the same.

(10) Knock yerself out: ftp://ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu/Web/Mosaic/W...v3.0/mos30.exe

--
G. R. Woodring

Date: 7/10/2009 7:23 PM, Author: Banner Wrote:
> Points :
>
> 1. I find IE 8 a disaster.
>
> 2. Can’t get rid of it and revert to IE 7 – OK, found it!
>
> 3. Can’t get rid of “Bing” – whatever that is (I neither know nor care) -
> oh, Now it seems it has morphed into Google for some unknowm reason.
>
> 4. Can’t get rid of the whole Yahoo tool bar which is useless and a waste of
> screen real estate.
>
> 5. Can’t get rid of the whole tool bar beginning with “Favorites."
>
> 6. Are you folks now pushing other browsers (such as Firefox) for some weird
> corporate reason? I cannot see why you would, but IE 8 certainly does that.
>
> 7. Continuing trend to target Windows interface to kids and away from one
> suitable for adult users : e.g., “My documents”, “My music”, “My pictures”,
> etc. Yeah, one wonders where to find “My little pony”? And to whom does “My”
> refer anyway?
>
> 8. Also the cute little star for “Favorites” – must we?
>
> 9. Kiddie stuff is fine if you aren't constantly forced to use it.
>
> 10. "CHANGE IS NOT NECESSARILY PROGRESS!"

VanguardLH

Re: IE 8 fiasco
And here we go with a user intent on exhibiting her ignorance.

Banner wrote:

> Points :
>
> 1. I find IE 8 a disaster.

Oh, such a detailed report you made here, too. Oh so valuable ... not!

> 2. Cant get rid of it and revert to IE 7 V OK, found it!

Can't do. Can do.
Make up your mind.

> 3. Cant get rid of Bing V whatever that is (I neither know nor care) -
> oh, Now it seems it has morphed into Google for some unknowm reason.

So you can't figure out how you are reconfiguring the web browser. They
have drugs now for attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.

> 4. Cant get rid of the whole Yahoo tool bar which is useless and a waste of
> screen real estate.

Yeah, god forbid you visit the Add/Remove Programs applet to uninstall
the thing. IE doesn't come with this crapbar. That was YOUR choice to
install it probably because you're too damn lazy to read the
instructions during an install of some other software you chose to
install (and probably don't know how to use that, either).

> 5. Cant get rid of the whole tool bar beginning with Favorites."

Yeah, god forbid you ask or read the included help to find out how to
use the menus to choose which toolbars to display.

> 6. Are you folks now pushing other browsers (such as Firefox) for some weird
> corporate reason? I cannot see why you would, but IE 8 certainly does that.

I don't see anyone pushing other web browsers because users of them can
be even more lazy than users of IE.

> 7. Continuing trend to target Windows interface to kids and away from one
> suitable for adult users : e.g., My documents, My music, My pictures,
> etc. Yeah, one wonders where to find My little pony? And to whom does My
> refer anyway?

Gee, that couldn't be the Windows account under which you login and
which you aren't suppose to share but instead give other users their own
non-shared accounts, could it? Nah, it must be a big plot that
Microsoft has to irritate just you.

How many want to bet this boob is still using the fluffy Fisher-Price
style Welcome Screen instead of the Classic Login screen? He wants that
fluff but complains about other fluff.

> 8. Also the cute little star for Favorites V must we?

And your divined inspiration for a more appropriate clickable shortcut
icon would be what? A little kid hugging a teddy bear, maybe? You
stroking yourself?

> 9. Kiddie stuff is fine if you aren't constantly forced to use it.

So why aren't you still back on MS- or IBM-DOS? Even if you boot into
Windows, you could run cmd.exe and maximize its window and stay there
for your entire Windows session. Ah, but that would actually require
you learn how to use the keyboard more efficiently than a mouse and
learn more of the OS than just clicking on pretty pictures.

> 10. "CHANGE IS NOT NECESSARILY PROGRESS!"

Wrong. Change is ALWAYS progress. But who ever promised you that
progress was something that YOU wanted? Or that it was positive? Or
rational? Or that your non-contribution to the development of a product
would have any effect on the outcome for that product?

And just who was pointing that loaded gun and starting to pull on the
trigger if you didn't "progress" to a new version of software? That YOU
fell victim to the marketing mantra of "newer is better" is your failing
to have a will to exert your own choices.

Obvious computers are something you should avoid. Computers at NOT to
make your life easier. They are to maintain or raise your level of
frustration. Unlike learning how to do plumbing or dig ditches,
computer technology is changing all the time. Now go back to watching
your sitcoms while trying to figure out that new universal remote that
you just bought. Oh, remember to put in the batteries.
Singapore Computer Service

Re: IE 8 fiasco
Hello,

For 4, you can remove it from Add/Remove Programs. Look for Yahoo! Toolbar.
If it isn't there, IE7 > Tools > Manage Add-ons, and disable the Yahoo!
Toolbar there.

For 5, View > Toolbar > Uncheck Favorites Toolbar. If you mean the Favorites
icon, I don't think it can be removed without removing the tab bar

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL