Slow or no response

HankL

Slow or no response
I am using the following:
Windows VISTA Home Premium 64 bit O/S
Internet Explorer v. 8
I am on a network with a broadband modem and a router

The issue I am having is sometimes when I select a link or even attempt to
get unto a site, the window opens up and nothing happens. I just have to
sit and wait and wait. I will then close the window and try again. It may
or may not open. Then possibly if I try for the third for fourth time, it
finally connects. This doesn't seem to happen with Google although once in
awhile it will happen and it generally doesn't happen when I open Internet
Explorer directly. I have shortcuts to certain sites I use often and
generally those and links is where I am having the issues. I have powered
down the router and the modem and that still does not seem to help.

My other computers on the network does not seem to have the same issues.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your suggestions.

HankL

Don Varnau

Re: Slow or no response
Hi,
1. With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall or re-enable browser add-ons, work
through this article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us

Useful for recovering stored passwords before you clear all stored login
data:
IE PassView- NirSoft:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/interne..._password.html

What a reset of IE settings will do:
Windows Vista Help- Reset Internet Explorer settings:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...fe1771033.mspx

2. You may have an incompatible browser add-on installed. (Also covered in
step 1)
For troubleshooting information see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

3. If the problem is not caused by an add-on, a third-party program
may be the cause.

936214- How to troubleshoot compatibility problems that affect IE7 in
Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936214 (Also applies to XP)

More:
936215- How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215/en-us
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"HankL" <hlaskin@bendbroadband.com> wrote in message
> I am using the following:
> Windows VISTA Home Premium 64 bit O/S
> Internet Explorer v. 8
> I am on a network with a broadband modem and a router
>
> The issue I am having is sometimes when I select a link or even attempt to
> get unto a site, the window opens up and nothing happens. I just have to
> sit and wait and wait. I will then close the window and try again. It

may
> or may not open. Then possibly if I try for the third for fourth time, it
> finally connects. This doesn't seem to happen with Google although once

in
> awhile it will happen and it generally doesn't happen when I open Internet
> Explorer directly. I have shortcuts to certain sites I use often and
> generally those and links is where I am having the issues. I have powered
> down the router and the modem and that still does not seem to help.
>
> My other computers on the network does not seem to have the same issues.
>
> Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your

suggestions.

> HankL

Singapore Computer Service

Re: Slow or no response
Hello,

Try running IE8 with add-ons disabled.

Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No
Add-ons) to start IE8 without any add-ons. Try using the browser and see if
the same problem arises.

If the problem does not occur again, start IE8 normally, go to Tools (if the
menu bar does not appear, hit the Alt key on the keyboard) > Manage Add-ons.
Disable all the add-ons under 'Toolbars and Extensions'. Enable each add-on
one at each time, restart and see if the problem occurs again. Once it
occurs
again after enabling an add-on, you have nailed the culprit.

__
Singapore Computer Home Remote On-Site Repair Service
Video Conversion VHS Video8 Hi8 Digital8 MiniDv NTSC PAL